NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Alshon Jeffery and J Brown for Reed and Funchess. WHIR!

extmenace

My team:

QB: Mariota / Rivers

RB1: Hunt

RB2: Mixon

WR1: Jordy

WR2: Allen

TE: Bennet

Flex Jeffery

D/ST: Carolina / Detroit

K: Lutz

Bench: J Conner (RB), Char West (RB), D. Henery (RB), Jaaron Brown (WR)

14 team league with unique scoring system. In a nut shell for scoring for the players involved in this trade: 5 point bonus for 100 and and another 5 points for 200 yard games, .5 ppr, 6 pt TD's. 

The waiver Wire is empty with most teams benching handcuffs and WR / 4 type of players.

Anyways, I give up Jeffery and Jaaron Brown / I get Jordan Reed and D. Funchess. Looking at my team, is this a move I should make. I rarely make trades but my gut is saying to accept this one. I am high point team and currently tied for first at 4-1.

WHIR: Post your threads below. Thanks guys!

I think its an alright trade for you. Jeffrey has had a tough schedule to this point (played a lot of tough CBs) so I think trading him now is selling low however the value isn't terrible. Jaron Brown is hard to trust with John Brown back healthy and Reed would give you a major upgrade at TE (although depends on his health which has been a major challenge for him) and Funchess isn't a huge downgrade from Jeffrey. Funchess' down game had to do with him being banged up on a short week and Cam struggling with accuracy and opting instead for short throws which aren't really the routes Funchess excels at. 

Closer than the others are giving it credit for, but I would accept. Jeffrey has been in tough to start the year and he's a favourite buy low of mine. That being said Reed is very valuable when playing and Funchess has looked good, and can't see much changing especially with Olsen out. Bennett hasn't been good either.

1 minute ago, Jaw1 said:

I think its an alright trade for you. Jeffrey has had a tough schedule to this point (played a lot of tough CBs) so I think trading him now is selling low however the value isn't terrible. Jaron Brown is hard to trust with John Brown back healthy and Reed would give you a major upgrade at TE (although depends on his health which has been a major challenge for him) and Funchess isn't a huge downgrade from Jeffrey. Funchess' down game had to do with him being banged up on a short week and Cam struggling with accuracy and opting instead for short throws which aren't really the routes Funchess excels at. 

That is why I am hesitating. I think funchess has top 25 WR upside....until greg olsen gets back. When olsen gets back mccaf and olsen could eat up roughly 20 of cams targets per game. 

Jeffery has top 10 upside with better match ups ahead. I am well aware of the match up issues with jeffery not to mention trying to get on the same page with his new QB. 

And reed, top 3 TE upside when he plays. It is far from a guarantee that I get a full season out of him.

You said you think the trade is alright, but would you do it? 

1 minute ago, extmenace said:

That is why I am hesitating. I think funchess has top 25 WR upside....until greg olsen gets back. When olsen gets back mccaf and olsen could eat up roughly 20 of cams targets per game. 

Jeffery has top 10 upside with better match ups ahead. I am well aware of the match up issues with jeffery not to mention trying to get on the same page with his new QB. 

And reed, top 3 TE upside when he plays. It is far from a guarantee that I get a full season out of him.

You said you think the trade is alright, but would you do it? 

I think Olsen will cut into McCaffreys targets more than Funchess' and Dickinson is getting a fair number already so you'd expect Olsen to take most if not all of those. The biggest difference is that Olsen may take Funchess' RZ targets away which is a pretty big deal. Olsen is expected back week 12 so if he is available in your league I may keep my eye on him and would prefer to drop Brown for him in a few weeks (not sure what that appropriate time to jump on him is) than do this trade. 

In my opinion this trade basically comes down to if you think the gap between Jeffrey and Funchess ROS will be bigger or smaller than the gap between Reed and Bennett ROS. That largely depends on your faith in Reed to be healthy and perform like the top TE he is capable of being which imo is a toss-up. Personally, I'm not that hopeful especially since coming off the BYE he flat out said he wasn't at 100% (although I'm not sure if he ever has been over his career) and the Redskins have a bunch of guys like Crowder, Doctson and Pryor who are grossly underperforming and could limit Reed's upside. I'd prefer rolling the dice on Jeffrey's upside and hoping Bennett can improve (I've read a few blurbs of Rodgers saying he wanted him more involved; Bennett has ability especially in that offense to be a mid range TE that can give you numbers close to any guy outside of Gronk, Kelce and Ertz)  especially if Olsen is still on waivers and you can potentially get him. 

2 minutes ago, Jaw1 said:

I think Olsen will cut into McCaffreys targets more than Funchess' and Dickinson is getting a fair number already so you'd expect Olsen to take most if not all of those. The biggest difference is that Olsen may take Funchess' RZ targets away which is a pretty big deal. Olsen is expected back week 12 so if he is available in your league I may keep my eye on him and would prefer to drop Brown for him in a few weeks (not sure what that appropriate time to jump on him is) than do this trade. 

In my opinion this trade basically comes down to if you think the gap between Jeffrey and Funchess ROS will be bigger or smaller than the gap between Reed and Bennett ROS. That largely depends on your faith in Reed to be healthy and perform like the top TE he is capable of being which imo is a toss-up. Personally, I'm not that hopeful especially since coming off the BYE he flat out said he wasn't at 100% (although I'm not sure if he ever has been over his career) and the Redskins have a bunch of guys like Crowder, Doctson and Pryor who are grossly underperforming and could limit Reed's upside. I'd prefer rolling the dice on Jeffrey's upside and hoping Bennett can improve (I've read a few blurbs of Rodgers saying he wanted him more involved; Bennett has ability especially in that offense to be a mid range TE that can give you numbers close to any guy outside of Gronk, Kelce and Ertz)  especially if Olsen is still on waivers and you can potentially get him. 

We have two IR spots, and in this 14 person league, any guy with high down the road value is already owned. Olsen is owned. 

I think I can lose big if / when reed goes down again. Most are saying to make the move but I think im taking on all the risk here. Comparing my team to the rest of the league, while I am thin as far as depth goes, I have a top 3 team without a doubt. Most of the teams are starting some really low ranked guys week in and week out. 

If this was your team, do you make the move? I have a feeling you wouldn't.

9 minutes ago, extmenace said:

We have two IR spots, and in this 14 person league, any guy with high down the road value is already owned. Olsen is owned. 

I think I can lose big if / when reed goes down again. Most are saying to make the move but I think im taking on all the risk here. Comparing my team to the rest of the league, while I am thin as far as depth goes, I have a top 3 team without a doubt. Most of the teams are starting some really low ranked guys week in and week out. 

If this was your team, do you make the move? I have a feeling you wouldn't.

You could try to get a little more compensation that may make it worth it and its not like you wouldn't still have Bennett if Reed got seriously injured (the issue is he often is in that grey area where he is active but the injuries are affecting him so much that he'd arguably be better off just being ruled out so you know to start someone else). You are correct I probably don't make the trade though due to the potential drop off from Jeffrey to Funchess which isn't bad now but projects to get worse as the season goes on. 

Edited by Jaw1