Jahlil Okafor 2017-2018 Season Outlook

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

those poor 139 ppl added Emeka Okafor  

If you follow the advice on this board you will make 23.7 add/drops per week and end up in the exact same position in your league standings lol

Same position he played in Philly

Posted Images

Just now, crocp said:

LOL

no. 

Forget the "at least part" - why can't he get to that if he gets the minutes?  He was 17 and 7 as a rookie.  You don't think he has worked on his game?  I think the ceiling for him honestly is 20 and 8 if everything went right.

Either way, I think he is going to do really good there.

2 minutes ago, Johnnyapplebot said:

you will see crop

I actually picked him up today in my 16 teamer....dropped Marcus not-so-Smart for him..

I would lovvvvvvvvvvvvve 18/9.....but i would never say "at least 18/9"...

18/9 would be his ceiling....I think realistically we are looking at 14/6 with about 25 minutes.

• Like 1

Picked him up in a few leagues. Will most likely take the starting role and get 24-28min as that's how most of Net's starters minutes are. Jahlil was a top 100ish player while he was playing as full time starter (rookie year). He has a good chance to achieve similar value

Will be tampering expectations though. He is mostly a points guy on below avg FG/rbds for a starting big man, ok blks, high TO/poor FT shooting. Still must own as you don't find top 100 big man floating on the wire

A more offensively skilled, lesser defensive minded Nurkic. This was great timing considering my trade with Nurkic finalizes tonight. 

Okafor has nice touch on the offensive end, with FG% above 50%, an array of post moves, and a decent stroke. Nurkic also has an array of post moves, except he has awful touch for a big and shoots at a poor FG% for a big. Both are comparable from the line, and both don't shoot 3's often, if at all. 

Okafor can block shots on the defensive end, but is more of a sieve than Nurkic is. Nurkic can rack up a couple of blocks per game, though this season his blocks have declined, because he has lost the mass that made him so effective in the paint. He's been getting bullied off the blocks by the likes of Cousins, Gobert, and Gasol. Okafor won't have this problem. So I don't think we'll see much of a difference in the defensive totals. 

Okafor averages less assists than Nurkic, but he also averages less TO's than Nurkic, which helps his value. The rebounding numbers are comparable, and I expect Okafor to average more rebounds than Nurkic going forward, because of what I discusses in the previous paragraph. 

The offensive numbers won't be much different, because both are skilled offensively. The main difference will be that Okafor is a more efficient player who won't kill you in any category. He hovers around 70% from the line, which isn't a team killer like Nurkic, who has been at 55% for the past week or two. 

I'm glad I traded Nurkic, because I believe I got a better C, and an underrated 9 cat stud (Joe Ingles). I'm looking forward to this treade going through. 

9 minutes ago, FantasyEmpire said:

13-17 before Embiid was went down. 7-2 in January with Embiid. I remember they was in the near of the 8th seed in the East.

LOL I think everybody was "near" the 8th seed after 30 games. Even if you really suck and are 8 and 22, you are techinically still in the playoff race because the 8th seed will be something like 15-15, so you are "only" 7 games behind.

Edited by bballshinobi
9 minutes ago, bballshinobi said:

LOL I think everybody "near" the 8th seed after 30 games. Even if you really suck and are 8 and 22, you are techinically still in the playoff race because the 8th seed will be something like 15-15, so you are "only" 7 games behind.

18-29 before Embiid went down. The Heat was 19-30 in the same time.Bucks 21-26, Bulls 24-25. 3 GB the Bucks is naturally impossible :-) lol

Edited by FantasyEmpire
2 hours ago, Tekno Team 2000 said:

I know within my league Okafor was scooped up immediately. I am usually on top of those things but I slacked on checking the news and didn't even have the chance to scoop him up. Although his FT% might have been an additional drain which I need to get better in so it probably was for the best that I didn't anyway.

But it's not a wait and see. This is not a normal WW player. Okafor is a potential 20 and 8 player with a block and good FG%. I think he is going to thrive there. If FT% is not a problem, he should be an instant pickup. He is going to do better than Jonas this year.

Still avail in our league and 3.2% owned per ESPN...I'm interested to see the surge and I'm intrigued overall, but expectations are too high right now. 20 and 8 is AWFULLY high, I would have played along if you said 10, 10 and a block. If Brett thought he would be useful then he would've played, but he didn't. Even Greg Monroe managed to carve out minutes at Milwaukee when he was redundant over there. 

Edited by MFNunique
17 minutes ago, MFNunique said:

Still avail in our league and 3.2% owned per ESPN...I'm interested to see the surge and I'm intrigued overall, but expectations are too high right now. 20 and 8 is AWFULLY high, I would have played along if you said 10, 10 and a block. If Brett thought he would be useful then he would've played, but he didn't. Even Greg Monroe managed to carve out minutes at Milwaukee when he was redundant over there. 

Eh, availability varies league to league depending on competition level, activity, size, etc.  He was grabbed in all of my 5 leagues (I was the taker in 2) within 5 minutes of the news breaking, even before Roto announced it...my leagues are ultra competitive though.  You don't often get too many big men with upside on the waiver wire.  And btw, he's owned in 46% of Yahoo leagues, and that's just within about 4 hours of the news, lol.

I do agree with you on expectations.  17/7/1 in 30 minutes for his rookie year is even a bit too much for me THIS year.  I'd personally be happy with about 14-7-0.8 in 27 minutes myself.  The Nets have a ton of shooters and they're capable of playing small too.  Wouldn't be surprised to see Okafor hurt or ceding minutes to Allen either, later in the year.  It'd be hilarious to see Okafor attempting to shoot treys though.  And who knows...he tried to be a midrange shooter when he was alongside Noel, and even traditional Cs like BroLo and Vuc made it work.  :/

Ah, I'd say the Bucks' situation with Monroe is a little different.  Both C's suck at defense and are offensive B2B old-school Cs who can't space the floor.  That's about it in terms of similarities.  Monroe's got experience and IMO is a better rebounder and offensive player than Okafor.  Let's also not forget that in Philly, Embiid had a capable backup in Holmes and could go super small with Saric at the 5 (the latter still has C eligibility, lol).  Also had to juggle Noel while he was there too.  On the Bucks' side, while Giannis could take the 5, you really just had inconsistent and foul-prone Henson manning the 5 to start.  

Edited by MWon
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, MFNunique said:

I'm in a 10 team league and a competitive one too. He needs the minutes to be an effective fantasy player. Is he going start from day one? Doubtful. How will the minutes be distributed between Zeller, Allen, and Okafor? I don't know, let's wait and see! 

It looks like a lot of you guys have expendable pieces to make the gamble, but I'm not dropping Jonas for Okafor, thats a knee jerk reaction. 

Good Luck hoping for a Jonas Val break out. As long as Dwayne Casey is the coach for the Raptors it's not happening. He has to come out all guns blazing otherwise he's not getting 20 minutes per game. Almost the same situation with Lopez in LA but at least the kids in LA actually pass to Brook where Raptors just watch DeRozan and Lowry jack up shots.

I myself got in 2/3 on my squads to take the gamble. His competition is Tyler Zeller and Jarret Allen. Let's not act like he has to outplay DeMarcus Cousins or Marc Gasol to get minutes.He's a skilled big who can get you Kanter-like stats without the elite rebounding, but he has some upside in blocks. That's definitely better than a  top 150 fringe guy you're getting from the wire in competitive leagues.

2 hours ago, KingDURANTULA said:

i got him 2 minutes after the news in my biggest money league... pretty easy to do if you get push notifications from Woj or elsewhere

How do you get push notifications from Woj, Shams, etc?

Need to create a loud alarm for breaking news whenever I'm asleep.

17 and 7 as a rookie and the nets suck with no true C. Mozgov  sucks Okafor is young. Nets got nothing to play for this year or next year no picks in the first round draft. They are going to play through him until Russell comes back. Hes going to be posting great lines. I WISH I HAD HIM SERIOUSLY IM A NETS FAN TOO. News came out at like 4 15 pm my time he was picked up 15 minutes later. I hate my league.

17 and 7 as a rookie and the nets suck with no true C. Mozgov  sucks Okafor is young. Nets got nothing to play for this year or next year no picks in the first round draft. They are going to play through him until Russell comes back. Hes going to be posting great lines. I WISH I HAD HIM SERIOUSLY IM A NETS FAN TOO. News came out at like 4 15 pm my time he was picked up 15 minutes later. I hate my league.