NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jahlil Okafor 2017-2018 Season Outlook

unlike the russell trade, i dont think the nets traded for okafor viewing him as an alternative building block.

i think the nets view him as a bigger, younger body with upside to fill booker's role for the rest of the year. an offensive and physical upgrade. oak and allen should go along well together. gives atkinson more options than usual.

for the immediate future though, i think both will only have dependable fantasy value if atkinson stays clear of tyler zeller and mozgov. seriously. if he insists giving 10-15 minutes a game to either of those two, then even less minutes will have be divided between allen and oak.

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

those poor 139 ppl added Emeka Okafor  

If you follow the advice on this board you will make 23.7 add/drops per week and end up in the exact same position in your league standings lol

Same position he played in Philly

Posted Images

RHJ plays 32 mins as PF, so only 48+16=64 minutes left at PF/C. The Nets have Zeller/Allen/Okafar/Mozgov/Acy to fill this 64 minutes, not to say they play small ball at time. I think he will only play 2X minutes, 30 min is the ceiling. I won't drop any meaningful piece like Nance for him.

5 minutes ago, littlesamtung said:

RHJ plays 32 mins as PF, so only 48+16=64 minutes left at PF/C. The Nets have Zeller/Allen/Okafar/Mozgov/Acy to fill this 64 minutes, not to say they play small ball at time. I think he will only play 2X minutes, 30 min is the ceiling. I won't drop any meaningful piece like Nance for him.

zeller, mozgov, acy are irrelevant.

Listen guys, let's temper our expectations a little. We are going need patience to see how he works with his new team.  As much as i would love to see a dbl dbl from him, he most likely will be Larry Nance but without the defensive stocks. Let the man get accumulated first and shake the rust off. We all know that the Nets C's are hot garbage, but the Coach may still try to factor them in hurt in Okafors value. 

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, littlesamtung said:

RHJ also sprained an ankle and his injuries are piling up. he's also been injury prone in the past. i don't think minutes will be a problem at all

3 hours ago, Johnnyapplebot said:

17 and 7 as a rookie and the nets suck with no true C. Mozgov  sucks Okafor is young. Nets got nothing to play for this year or next year no picks in the first round draft. They are going to play through him until Russell comes back. Hes going to be posting great lines. I WISH I HAD HIM SERIOUSLY IM A NETS FAN TOO. News came out at like 4 15 pm my time he was picked up 15 minutes later. I hate my league.

Well...I mean, they do have Allen, who's been playing quite well in limited minutes, and he fits a similar role as a rebuilding block; at the very least, Allen can hinder his minutes, especially since he plays defense.

Okafor's also a UFA this upcoming year, so there's not really any incentive for him to stay with the Nets if they don't play or pay him.

I already addressed my concerns with Okafor in a previous post, but I'll just say that 1.) his previous stats were inflated on a pretty garbage Sixers team which was devoid of scorers, as opposed to the Nets' run and gun offense this year.  2.) Okafor's  proven to be incredibly fragile.  Likely to be handled carefully, and I don't expect him to be hitting over 30 minutes constantly.

That being said, I grabbed him in a few leagues immediately.  Would rather expect very little from him and be pleasantly surprised.  Lots of folks are jumping on the hype train without realizing that Okafor's no fantasy savior.  Just a good pickup right now with some nice upside.

47 minutes ago, zass17 said:

those poor 139 ppl added Emeka Okafor

image.png.87a0b700ce30846d3570ec0102438da0.png

It's funny, when adding J Okafor, I triple-checked to make sure it was the right one, since they're both on Philly and both 'C only'.  But hey, maybe some people have faith Emeka can turn it around.  He was the second pick in the 2004 draft...

30 minutes ago, beastmaster said:

zeller, mozgov, acy are irrelevant.

Mozgov has basically dropped out of the rotation. But in their past 5 games, Acy logged 15.4, Zeller logged 19.8 while Allen 18.2. I don't think these guys will disappear suddenly. 

From the Nets' PoV, if they plan to resign Okafor, they will try to hide his potential so that they can sign him with less money and with fewer competitors. If not, why play him so much. They will play him, but not as much as we fantasy owners expect. This is my two cents.

25 minutes ago, littlesamtung said:

Mozgov has basically dropped out of the rotation. But in their past 5 games, Acy logged 15.4, Zeller logged 19.8 while Allen 18.2. I don't think these guys will disappear suddenly. 

From the Nets' PoV, if they plan to resign Okafor, they will try to hide his potential so that they can sign him with less money and with fewer competitors. If not, why play him so much. They will play him, but not as much as we fantasy owners expect. This is my two cents.

Hide his potential from where? He was sitting for a year and here we are talking that he can produce 18/8 again. His potential is not a secret. You can't fool people like that if there are millions on the stake. He will get every minutes he can handle, i don't even doubt %1.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rookie year 17/7 on a bad team. Nets are a bad team with nothing to play for. Hes young and eager to play. His defense isn't that great but his offense is great and the Nets don't even have anyone averaging more than 15 points a game besides Diangello right now. He will flourish in my opinion. 

13 minutes ago, Johnnyapplebot said:

Rookie year 17/7 on a bad team. Nets are a bad team with nothing to play for. Hes young and eager to play. His defense isn't that great but his offense is great and the Nets don't even have anyone averaging more than 15 points a game besides Diangello right now. He will flourish in my opinion. 

Look what Caris LeVert made.  RHJ 14.5 points as a starter, LeVert 14.5 ppg in 3 games in December, Crabbe was 14.7 ppg in November. He is a worst version of Carlos Boozer. Points, Rebounds and no one more.

Do you think the Sixers are idiots and give a talented player up for nothing?? ;-)

He doesn't hustle, he doesn't have shooting range, he doesn't set hard screens, he's not a good roller to the rim, he doesn't hit free throws, he doesn't pass out the post, he doesn't rebound well, he doesn't have good defensive instincts, he has slow feet, he can't jump, he doesn't protect the rim, he doesn't defend passing lanes, he's soft and he hasn't been in good conditioning shape since he got here. Just bad all around besides a spin move and a face up game.

His numbers after the All-Star-Break was 13 points, 4.5 rebounds, 52 % FG, 1.5 assists, 3 TO, 0.5 steals and 0.7 blocks. He looks good from the line, but had only 3.1 attemps.

Edited by FantasyEmpire
7 minutes ago, FantasyEmpire said:

Look what Caris LeVert made.  RHJ 14.5 points as a starter, LeVert 14.5 ppg in 3 games in December, Crabbe was 14.7 ppg in November. He is a worst version of Carlos Boozer. Points, Rebounds and no one more.

Do you think the Sixers are idiots and give a talented player up for nothing?? ;-)

He doesn't hustle, he doesn't have shooting range, he doesn't set hard screens, he's not a good roller to the rim, he doesn't hit free throws, he doesn't pass out the post, he doesn't rebound well, he doesn't have good defensive instincts, he has slow feet, he can't jump, he doesn't protect the rim, he doesn't defend passing lanes, he's soft and he hasn't been in good conditioning shape since he got here. Just bad all around besides a spin move and a face up game.

i understand your anger that someone on your league was faster than you but man this is just sad. 

9 minutes ago, beastmaster said:

i understand your anger that someone on your league was faster than you but man this is just sad. 

Haha :-)

Had DSJ, Lillard, Curry, Mitchell, PG13, Simmons(ORL), Courtney Lee, Jymychal Green, Embiid, Nowitzki, Favors, Kieff, LeVert, Booker and Jokic in my team. Who should i dropped for him??? :-) Jabari Parker is on my IR-Spot. Im 1st in my league and this week 8-1. I'm won points every week but ok i need Okafor........... *lol*

Edited by FantasyEmpire
3 hours ago, Trade Monster said:

Listen guys, let's temper our expectations a little. We are going need patience to see how he works with his new team.  As much as i would love to see a dbl dbl from him, he most likely will be Larry Nance but without the defensive stocks. Let the man get accumulated first and shake the rust off. We all know that the Nets C's are hot garbage, but the Coach may still try to factor them in hurt in Okafors value. 

I think he'll average a couple more points than Nance, but I get the comparison. I agree with this.

23 minutes ago, FantasyEmpire said:

Had DSJ, Lillard, Curry, Mitchell, PG13, Simmons(ORL), Courtney Lee, Jymychal Green, Embiid, Nowitzki, Favors, Kieff, LeVert, Booker and Jokic in my team. Who should i dropped for him??? :-) Jabari Parker is on my IR-Spot. Im 1st in my league and this week 8-1. I'm won points every week but ok i need Okafor........... *lol*

Stop the madness!

16 minutes ago, FantasyEmpire said:

if you can't see the insta drops here for Okafor, i say no more mate.

• Like 1

Picked him up in one league but tempering my expectations.

I do think he will eventually start and get 28-30 min a night, hopefully 15/8 line with 1 block and praying not too many FT attempts.

Edited by blob2004
  • Like 1
13 minutes ago, blob2004 said:

I do think he will eventually start and get 28-30 min a night, hopefully 15/8 line with 1 block and praying not too many FT attempts.

before he got hurt, deangelo russell - the nets' clear go-to-guy and default franchise player - was only averaging 27.8 minutes per game. do you really think okafor will get more minutes than him?

in fact i think that his best case scenario is 22 mpg... that's roughly trevor booker's season average. and booker is not a defensive liability.

more likely he's going to get 20 minutes a game. the nets will have to play and develop jarrett allen after all. and occasionally there's also zeller/mozzy/acy in the picture as well. atkinson likes to use his 10th-12th men more often than not.

23 minutes ago, blob2004 said:

Picked him up in one league but tempering my expectations.

I think you are pretty close. Best case scenario would be flirting with 28 minutes peppered with around 15 points give or take, maybe 7 rebounds and a block. Something close to Nurkic and Vucevic Lite without 3-pointers. But the floor is considerably lower.

Edited by JormaJormala