NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Jahlil Okafor 2017-2018 Season Outlook

IsraeliPSYCHO

4 minutes ago, Lakers_Fan2 said:

I dont even think he will be good but some of you are weirdly putting a lot into this dnp. He legit just joined the team and probably doesnt even understand the offense. Relax. 

Agree with everything said here. Atkinson runs system ball, which means Okafor's minutes will increase in the next week or two. They didnt have a pure post player since Brook developed his perimeter shot, so they have to find a way to utilize him perfectly. Likely already better than Zeller, but I dont think Atkinson will just give him playing time without learning a few plays.

1 hour ago, Bugs bunny said:

I do points league too.  Ingles is far from worthless in points leagues. 

i stand corrected. My league hes 70th. Though he only has a high week of 105 Fpts. But I suppose he can still be useful on a 4 game week. But i've rented guys like Caris Levert  and he gave 118 last week in only 3 games (im injury riddled)

• Like 1

Anyone expecting Okafor to jump right in and play big min. Was naive to begin with. Atkinson is known to make players earn minutes and runs ridiculous rotations.  Even when Okafor is finally up to speed this is going to be a maddening 3 way time share for weeks. Eventually Okafor should separate himself but it’s going to be a long process.  

Ok, I'm thinking about dropping Okafor based on this blurb on Hoop Ball... this could take a long time guys and I personally don't have the patience.

Atkinson not sure when Jahlil Okafor and Nik Stauskas will debut

Kenny Atkinson does not have a timetable as to when recently acquired center Jahlil Okafor and guard Nik Stauskas will get into game action.

The team used a Sunday workout and a practice on Monday to get to know the duo who was acquired last Thursday in a trade with Philadelphia. “This isn’t CYO, where you show up at 4 o’clock and you meet your teammates and you just throw them out there,” Atkinson said. “We have a ton of plays, a defensive system. We want to put both those guys in a position to succeed, a position to help the team. I can’t give you an exact date.” We expected the Nets to slowly integrate Okafor and owners should definitely take a flier on him but don’t expect Atkinson to give him more than 15 to 20 minutes as the Nets want to focus on developing Jarrett Allen as well.

1 hour ago, rob0403 said:

Otto Porter???? wtf??? You got a great deal.

The other guy initiated the trade. He really wanted Portis/Nwaba, as a Bulls fan.

I get the best player in the deal so I'm happy. Plus, i still trust that Okafor will eventually reestablish himself as a quality player. Just have to be patient.

Edited by MMA OG

At least this gives me another team to root against. I guess Philly doesn't have ton of plays and a defensive system so they started Booker right away. That is why Brooklyn is 11-14 with no future ahead of them. I really feel for Okafor, one day everything is going great, you are playing great in your first season, the future looks bright and then BOOM suddenly you are not playing at all, while some players than can barely walk are getting all the action. 

Reading all the posts I get the feeling that none actually really played any sports. The reason why he isn't playing is because he hasn't played for a year. Really? It is not like he stopped practising all of a sudden, he is probably in the best shape of his life. No reasons for him to not play, it is not like Brooklyn is going anywhere. Really hope that he gets it going and leave Brooklyn. 

All the best to Jahlil, I am sorry but I have to let you go. 

25 minutes ago, AomineDaiki05 said:

At least this gives me another team to root against. I guess Philly doesn't have ton of plays and a defensive system so they started Booker right away. That is why Brooklyn is 11-14 with no future ahead of them. I really feel for Okafor, one day everything is going great, you are playing great in your first season, the future looks bright and then BOOM suddenly you are not playing at all, while some players than can barely walk are getting all the action. 

Reading all the posts I get the feeling that none actually really played any sports. The reason why he isn't playing is because he hasn't played for a year. Really? It is not like he stopped practising all of a sudden, he is probably in the best shape of his life. No reasons for him to not play, it is not like Brooklyn is going anywhere. Really hope that he gets it going and leave Brooklyn. 

All the best to Jahlil, I am sorry but I have to let you go. 

Or you can wait a game since he just needed a little bit of time to learn the system. He will play next game. Unless this is some complex scheme to get another owner of yours to drop him, then I apologize for posting :)

• Like 1

It depend what you want...

I think he is a good guy to own for the PO...the process will be take few days, weeks (not sure for months) but if BKN buy him, it's not for DNP machine...

maybe Atkinson will be fired or have to play him with the pressure, 

but I think with only Jarret and Zeller on their roster, it will be amazing if he can't receive around 25 minutes..

My only concerns is that BKN still to win...it's not good..?