NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Jahlil Okafor 2017-2018 Season Outlook

IsraeliPSYCHO

14 hours ago, samer42 said:

He averaged 17.5/7 and over a block a game as a rookie. I'd take those numbers over John Collins easily. Not too far fetched for me to project him expanding his game 2 years later playing for a team deprived of talent like the Nets. If only Atkinson wasn't cut from the same cloth as Mile Malone of making bold decisions despite being a boneheaded coach 

And yet he finished the season 105th in 9 cats per BBM while Collins currently is at 88th place with projection for more as his PT will increase. No you shouldn't take that over Collins easily. And Okafor did that playing 30 mins on maybe the worst team in history. You cannot expect the same role or production with the Nets that also play a game that doesn't really suit him and have to adjust. They probably did the trade for the picks and if Jah plays well that's an extra.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Well, the other guy -- Stauskuas, whatever his name is -- isn't playing either.

Surely the Nets could have spared some garbage time minutes for a guy like Stauskuas.

It's peculiar indeed.

They probably traded for the pick essentially and to get Booker on a team that would play him so they could give more minutes to Allen.

15 hours ago, MFNunique said:

And to think there are a few that dropped Jonas for this guy. L.O.L. 

haha, i rage dropped Jonas the other day... for MUCH worse than Jah lol.... Jonas then has his two breakout games in a row...thats one ill regret lol oh well, i needed a stream spot anyway

3 hours ago, mackdonald said:

if you're in a league that's smaller than 14 teams, i suggest you drop.

there's gotta be much better options at the moment.

WW is pretty bare....idk, i joke and tell people to drop in haste but to drop before he even gets going is silly lol...this is obviously a situation that is going to take until the new year to truly evaluate.

i still say he's a hold based on ability and potential to take the starting gig down the road.

When it comes to dropping a player, it’s all about who you’re getting back. I wouldn’t drop him without getting a higher upside, a hot pickup or a streamer. 

What’s the point of stashing this guy... Even at 30ish min he wasn’t that good in fantasy. 

Im much more inclined to pick up guys like  Frank Ntilikina

2 minutes ago, mackdonald said:

When it comes to dropping a player, it’s all about who you’re getting back. I wouldn’t drop him without getting a higher upside, a hot pickup or a streamer. 

What’s the point of stashing this guy... Even at 30ish min he wasn’t that good in fantasy. 

Im much more inclined to pick up guys like  Frank Ntilikina

then why are you here lol?

yes, comparing a pickup of Okafor to Frankie makes sense :rolleyes: 

6 minutes ago, Trade Monster said:

George Hill and Frankie N are on the waiver wire. May drop Okafor for one of them if they don't play.

These kinds of posts bring no value to the board. Sorry, but people don't care about your team or who's on your wire. Just an FYI. It's tempting to post this stuff, but seriously, and I can guarantee you, no one cares.

Regarding Okafor—it's definitely a concern he hasn't played yet, and super frustrating. But if you picked him up at news of the trade, and you're in a league of 12+ teams, you gotta wait it out until we at least see how he looks on the court in a Nets uniform. If you're in a shallower league, I would guess you can safely drop him for now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CFN said:

These kinds of posts bring no value to the board. Sorry, but people don't care about your team or who's on your wire. Just an FYI. It's tempting to post this stuff, but seriously, and I can guarantee you, no one cares.

Regarding Okafor—it's definitely a concern he hasn't played yet, and super frustrating. But if you picked him up at news of the trade, and you're in a league of 12+ teams, you gotta wait it out until we at least see how he looks on the court in a Nets uniform. If you're in a shallower league, I would guess you can safely drop him for now.

Dilly Dilly!

39 minutes ago, rob0403 said:

I was totally wrong. Jah is getting the Noel treatment in the Mavs (also a former 76er). Dump him.

Difference is, if it’s indeed about coaching douchery, the circumstances suggest Atkinson is taking a stab at management rather than the player. “Don’t trade away my bench motor...”

Sucks for Jah and his owners regardless. The least they could do is fake an injury. 

2 hours ago, CFN said:

I’d care if it was someone interesting. But George hill and Frankie N are on everyone’s wire ;)

• Like 1

Can someone with more knowledge confirm this....I believe that because the Sixers declined his option year and then traded him the Nets are limited to resigning him to a 1 year deal worth the option amount, $6.3 mil.

If that is accurate, there is absolutely zero incentive for the Nets to play him and the trade was made to get a second round pick for Booker and open minutes for Allen. If Oak plays well and earns 30 minutes he will fetch more on the open market and will play himself right out of Brooklyn. If they limit the minutes, or just flat out bury him, they have a chance to resign him. 

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

Can someone with more knowledge confirm this....I believe that because the Sixers declined his option year and then traded him the Nets are limited to resigning him to a 1 year deal worth the option amount, $6.3 mil.

If that is accurate, there is absolutely zero incentive for the Nets to play him and the trade was made to get a second round pick for Booker and open minutes for Allen. If Oak plays well and earns 30 minutes he will fetch more on the open market and will play himself right out of Brooklyn. If they limit the minutes, or just flat out bury him, they have a chance to resign him. 

the simple answer is.... wait and see approach 

1 minute ago, lacit1707 said:

the simple answer is.... wait and see approach 

You are missing the point, if the Nets are limited to offering him a 1 year contract worth a max of $6.3 mil then that is a HUGE clue into how they will handle him. If that is true, the 1 year offer, then why would the Nets play him 30 minutes a night? 

11 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

You are missing the point, if the Nets are limited to offering him a 1 year contract worth a max of $6.3 mil then that is a HUGE clue into how they will handle him. If that is true, the 1 year offer, then why would the Nets play him 30 minutes a night? 

I agree this could be terribly significant — enough that if it’s confirmed he’s an easy drop, for Allen if I can’t find better. Contractual incentive to bench a guy who already can’t defend is a red, red flag.

Edited by bdy1
Hysteria abatement

Just now, bdy1 said:

I agree this is huge. 

I agree this is terribly significant — enough that if it’s confirmed he’s an easy drop, for Allen if I can’t find better. Contractual incentive to bench a guy who already can’t defend is a red, red flag.

Someone needs to confirm this. I am not 100% on the details of it. Please don't assume I am right until there is at least a second source confirming the info

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

This is some good insight here... I’m giving him tonight to touch the floor, but after reading this, I’ll have to drop if he gets no PT. Nice stuff here @thezing1

29 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

Good post.

The bottom line is Okafor needs to produce, but in order to do so, he needs the quality minutes. If we see more DNP and limited minutes, I will start to think there's something else going on behind the scenes.  I said this earlier, but Okafor would've logged the minutes in Philly if the staff thought he could produce. 

37 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

You're pretty much right. Josh Lloyd talked about this too.

If Okafor performs above exceptions, he won't be back with Brooklyn. Chances are a team like the Bulls or Hawks will want him. If he stinks it up, well... He just stinks it up and they won't play him anymore anyways.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2