NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Jahlil Okafor 2017-2018 Season Outlook

IsraeliPSYCHO

Just now, MFNunique said:

Good post.

The bottom line is Okafor needs to produce, but in order to do so, he needs the quality minutes. If we see more DNP and limited minutes, I will start to think there's something else going on behind the scenes.  I said this earlier, but Okafor would've logged the minutes in Philly if the staff thought he could produce. 

If the Nets have their hands tied as to what they can offer Jahlil then there is a very challenging path to minutes in Brooklyn. Also, Jahlil hasn't played in a LONG time. All holders need to ask themselves if there is a difference between 8-10 mpg and a DNP because he isn't going to suddenly play 30 minutes in the next game. If there is no difference then move on and save yourself some stress. It is going to be a haul to get him substantial minutes, and that is if they don't have financial restraints clogging that path. 

We can fight the Philly fight another day....I followed that rebuild closely because that is my team. I have opinions, but I will pass to stay on topic.

At the end of the day I don't have any shares of Jahlil. I am just trying to provide information so you all have context to make your decisions. I think Jahlil was born about 15 years too late. If he played in the 90's and 2000's he would have fit in perfectly because his post game is legit. Unfortunately, nobody really values that these days. 

38 minutes ago, Trench Mob said:

You're pretty much right. Josh Lloyd talked about this too.

If Okafor performs above exceptions, he won't be back with Brooklyn. Chances are a team like the Bulls or Hawks will want him. If he stinks it up, well... He just stinks it up and they won't play him anymore anyways.

Thanks for finding and sharing. Basically listen to minutes 3-11 to understand the logic behind the thinking that the Nets won't free Jahlil. 

1 hour ago, thezing1 said:

Thanks for finding and sharing. Basically listen to minutes 3-11 to understand the logic behind the thinking that the Nets won't free Jahlil. 

I understand that they can't sign him to more than 8 mil and I don't fully understand contracts, but if he exceeds his value, can't they just trade some ppl off/offer draft picks for cash to keep him?

22 minutes ago, AomineDaiki05 said:

Not looking good unfortunately :( Playing too passive, it looks like he lost all of his confidence from Rookie season.

Yeah, he looks terrible.  Moving super slowly on both offense and defense.  Hell, he just set a screen on Levert, with Lowry connecting on a three in that play.

On the plus side, a few of his makes/misses were basically him being forced to hoist up buzzer beaters.

14 minutes ago, RCRanger03 said:

am I reading correctly that he took 2 threes lol?

One was a desperation heave.  Since he doesn't really "roll" when he sets screens, he just hovers where he is, and his teammates just get stuck on 2 players.  In this particular case, the shot clock was at 2 seconds.  And no, neither shot looked particularly good.

10 minutes ago, kane said:

garbage time save his stat

Yeah, he got like 2 extra buckets and a few boards.  The minutes are a little deceiving in this case (had 21 or so minutes vs 16 until true 4th quarter garbage time); Zeller and Acy had minutes in the teens while Allen didn't play.  If anyone was wondering, essentially ALL Okafor did was post up.  He looks so slow, and his defense is as advertised.  On the bright side, at least Okafor played.  :D

15 minutes ago, MWon said:

One was a desperation heave.  Since he doesn't really "roll" when he sets screens, he just hovers where he is, and his teammates just get stuck on 2 players.  In this particular case, the shot clock was at 2 seconds.  And no, neither shot looked particularly good.

Yeah, he got like 2 extra buckets and a few boards.  The minutes are a little deceiving in this case (had 21 or so minutes vs 16 until true 4th quarter garbage time); Zeller and Acy had minutes in the teens while Allen didn't play.  If anyone was wondering, essentially ALL Okafor did was post up.  He looks so slow, and his defense is as advertised.  On the bright side, at least Okafor played.  :D

Whose slower, okafor or len? :P

3 hours ago, blabety said:

I understand that they can't sign him to more than 8 mil and I don't fully understand contracts, but if he exceeds his value, can't they just trade some ppl off/offer draft picks for cash to keep him?

It isn't a cap issue that limits them. It is a rule that basically limits them from offering more than 120% of the declined option amount. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Trench Mob said:

You're pretty much right. Josh Lloyd talked about this too.

If Okafor performs above exceptions, he won't be back with Brooklyn. Chances are a team like the Bulls or Hawks will want him. If he stinks it up, well... He just stinks it up and they won't play him anymore anyways.

Thanks, I didn't know this rule. So his situation is even worse, the Nets simply has no incentive to play him as much as fantasy owner expected.