NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Jahlil Okafor 2017-2018 Season Outlook

IsraeliPSYCHO

Kenny Atkinson said that Jahlil Okafor is no longer a vegan as he's been on the atkins diet since the trade to Brooklyn and he expects him to take the court for Tuesday's game against the Timberwolves.

Presumably, Atkinson is ready to throw Okafor out there now that his conditioning and familiarity with the offense is where he'd like it to be, so it'll be interesting to see how many minutes he can get in his first game back since December 15. He's someone to think about as a speculative add in deep leagues, but if you're in a 12-team league with 13 roster spots, he's still not quite worth owning.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, BetterCallHinkie said:

Kenny Atkinson said that Jahlil Okafor is no longer a vegan as he's been on the atkins diet since the trade to Brooklyn and he expects him to take the court for Tuesday's game against the Timberwolves.

Presumably, Atkinson is ready to throw Okafor out there now that his conditioning and familiarity with the offense is where he'd like it to be, so it'll be interesting to see how many minutes he can get in his first game back since December 15. He's someone to think about as a speculative add in deep leagues, but if you're in a 12-team league with 13 roster spots, he's still not quite worth owning.

Got fat off all that almond milk

• Haha 2

I dont think he is in their future plans

Reasons

1)sixers were looking for 2nd round picks in exchange of him...but instead they gave up their second pick to unload him(thats how awful he is base on my logic)

2) if he was really not fit, why just not let him play in gleague?why dnp?

22 minutes ago, richg24 said:

Scooped him again but not giving him a leash longer than this week if he doesn't produce anything to show life

I think that’s the best way to go with him. However I don’t think we’re going to see big results from him unless he gets 30 mins which I highly doubt he will get within the first week. 

• Like 1

the nets won't invest a lot of off-court, player development time for a guy unless he's included in their future plans. think about it: if the nets give okafor all the minutes he can handle right off the bat and then oak takes full advantage of it, then brooklyn could risk losing him as a FA to some desperate, sign-happy teams (such as dallas) this summer.

i think the nets will continue to limit him on the court to avoid fully showcasing him. then they focus their evaluation and player development program for him mostly off the court, away from prying eyes. this way, they have a better chance of re-signing okafor to a friendlier contract down the road. that being said, i don't think oak will be a dependable fantasy option this year. but if he does return to Brooklyn next year? he could very well be.

someone in this thread earlier compared the allen-okafor pairing to the old adams-kanter combo at OKC. i like that comparison. the nets are slowly building up their team with some nice, young pieces (d-lo and dinwiddie in the backcourt, levert on the wings and rhj as the small ball 4) that fit quite well in today's game. add two young centers with contrasting skill sets, and the nets might have an exciting future ahead of them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

12-5 with 2 blks in 13 mins?

Something's happening.

I think the previous posts are correct. The nets probably will limit his minutes, but if he really did get 30 minutes, he would put up like 18/10 1.5 blocks