Jahlil Okafor 2017-2018 Season Outlook

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

those poor 139 ppl added Emeka Okafor  

If you follow the advice on this board you will make 23.7 add/drops per week and end up in the exact same position in your league standings lol

Same position he played in Philly

Posted Images

2 hours ago, XOrad10 said:

Report: Suns are interested in acquiring Jahlil Okafor

The Suns are reportedly interested in trading for Jahlil Okafor.

The Suns have interest in Okafor who has been buried on the depth chart for the Sixers and has asked to be traded. Before a deal can be made the Suns still need to figure out what they are going to do with recent acquisition Greg Monroe. They view Monroe’s expiring contract as a trade piece in the market, but they could also buy out the big man thus opening up a roster spot that they can fill with Okafor. If the Suns were able to land Okafor then he would be hard pressed to find minutes right away behind Tyson Chandler and Alex Len, but he could get more of a look later in the year if Chandler gets shut down again or traded. The Bulls and Hawks also have interest and would be better landing spots for his immediate fantasy value.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21333075/phoenix-suns-prefer-trade-greg-monroe-rather-buy-out

The Suns are obviously in a hard FT%, 3PT, AST punt format. 

• Like 2

Do they still think they can get a first round pick for him? No one is going to do that and they have no one to blame but themselves. They have ruined his trade value and waited too long to deal him. He has talent and despite everyone wanting to be Golden State, a talented back to the basket player has a place in this league.

Problem with Okafor is bigs with his skillet just don’t fit the direction the NBA has and will keep going in. He’s also a pretty poor defender so that doesn’t help. Even if he goes somewhere and gets 20 min we aren’t talking about much value coming from that. While roster and league depedent, I don’t think the upside is near high enough to warrant a wasted roster spot.

Edited by HK-47
1 hour ago, HK-47 said:

Problem with Okafor is bigs with his skillet just don’t fit the direction the NBA has and will keep going in. He’s also a pretty poor defender so that doesn’t help. Even if he goes somewhere and gets 20 min we aren’t talking about much value coming from that. While roster and league depedent, I don’t think the upside is near high enough to warrant a wasted roster spot.

The dude is 21.  

Just now, Kriggly said:

The dude is 21.  

Ok and? Doesn’t change his skillset man. He is who he is until proven otherwise. Sure he could change his game and or evolve...but just because he’s young doesn’t mean he will. I stand by my assertion that he won’t hold much fantasy value this year...at the very least.

7 minutes ago, Tekno Team 2000 said:

He hasn't been allowed to be on the court to show if he added to his skillset or not.

And he’s not on the court because he just isn’t very good. When he plays/played to me it was easy to see he bogged down the offense and was a poor defender and or lacked effort on that end. There’s a reason he is where he is...attitude, poor play, lack of team concept...whatever it may be. Sure he is young...but that’s about the only positive we can use on this guy right now.

Edited by HK-47
1 minute ago, HK-47 said:

And he’s not on the court because he just isn’t very good. Even in his rookie year it was easy to see he bogged down the offense and was a poor defender. There’s a reason he is where he is...attitude, poor play, lack of team concept...whatever it may be.

17.5 and 7 as rookie isn't very good?  I understand the era we are in where everyone thinks they can be GS, but come on, he has good low post abilities.

And all of the things you described as his deficiencies are things from his rookie year.  Last year he had the knee problems and did not have consistent time at all.  This year he hasn't even sniffed the court.  

He is in year 3.  He got into great shape - so if he worked hard on losing weight, isn't it reasonable to think he also worked hard on improving his game too?

50 minutes ago, Tekno Team 2000 said:

17.5 and 7 as rookie isn't very good?  I understand the era we are in where everyone thinks they can be GS, but come on, he has good low post abilities.

And all of the things you described as his deficiencies are things from his rookie year.  Last year he had the knee problems and did not have consistent time at all.  This year he hasn't even sniffed the court.  

He is in year 3.  He got into great shape - so if he worked hard on losing weight, isn't it reasonable to think he also worked hard on improving his game too?

It was pretty good for a rookie but you have understand the dynamics on the team at the time that allowed him to reach those #'s. The team was trying to lose. He could never do that on in a winning situation because his defense is so bad he'd get played off of the floor. 

Okafor must extend his range and improve his defensive awareness a lot to ever obtain significant minutes again anywhere.

He is in good shape but he was also very slow on rotations and reaction this year again. I watched all of his games. It was slightly better but far from good enough.

No one owes Jahlil anything. If a team actually values him they'd offer something and take him cheaply. If not, he'll remain end of the bench depth until next year.

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, BBOY said:

It was pretty good for a rookie but you have understand the dynamics on the team at the time that allowed him to reach those #'s. The team was trying to lose. He could never do that on in a winning situation because his defense is so bad he'd get played off of the floor. 

Okafor must extend his range and improve his defensive awareness a lot to ever obtain significant minutes again anywhere.

He is in good shape but he was also very slow on rotations and reaction this year again. I watched all of his games. It was slightly better but far from good enough.

No one owes Jahlil anything. If a team actually values him they'd offer something and take him cheaply. If not, he'll remain end of the bench depth until next year.

Well said. Too many people just cite numbers without context. A lot of very bad NBA players could put up nice offensive numbers if afforded the minutes/usage. But there's a reason (many reasons, typically)  they're not given the opportunity to do that. 

1 hour ago, BBOY said:

1 hour ago, absknicks said:

Well said. Too many people just cite numbers without context. A lot of very bad NBA players could put up nice offensive numbers if afforded the minutes/usage. But there's a reason (many reasons, typically)  they're not given the opportunity to do that. 

I understand the context completely. But this isn't like Justin Holiday where he is putting up stats because he is jacking up shots inefficiently.

Yes Okafor was a focal point and put up numbers on a bad team. He took 14 shots a game and shot 50% in his rookie year. So let's not act like he doesn't have offensive talent. His defense has not been very good, but to say he is a bad player because he doesn't play good defense as a young player is short-sighted.

So he can't have a role on a good team? Did Kanter have a role on the Thunder? Kanter is not Dikembe Mutombo defensively.

So you know in the 25 minutes total Okafor has been on the court that he has not improved on his deficiencies? Hmmm. Ok. Fair enough.

36 minutes ago, Tekno Team 2000 said:

I understand the context completely. But this isn't like Justin Holiday where he is putting up stats because he is jacking up shots inefficiently.

Yes Okafor was a focal point and put up numbers on a bad team. He took 14 shots a game and shot 50% in his rookie year. So let's not act like he doesn't have offensive talent. His defense has not been very good, but to say he is a bad player because he doesn't play good defense as a young player is short-sighted.

So he can't have a role on a good team? Did Kanter have a role on the Thunder? Kanter is not Dikembe Mutombo defensively.

So you know in the 25 minutes total Okafor has been on the court that he has not improved on his deficiencies? Hmmm. Ok. Fair enough.

No bigger Okafor supporter than me over the years than I but here is the thing. 50% is cool but since he can't stretch the floor he isn't hitting 3's. Also he wasn't getting to the line effectively. Also, he wasn't a playmaker. Also, he was horrible defensively. Also, he was a poor rebounder.  This is fantasy so we just care about the counting stats but his advanced numbers were poor and he is largely lethargic. It is what it is

Kanter shoots jumpers and is an exceptional rebounder plus he is better than Okafor offensively. He sets picks and moves without the ball. Okafor is truly only an iso player offensively. Big difference.

Forget about Okafor is my best advice

he can't be this bad .. remember when he was considered the consensus #1 overall pick over KAT back in early 2015?? 

and he he looked like an automatic scorer in the paint during his rookie season .. a sure fire 20-10. i know his defense is questionable but it can't be bad enough to warrant this. everything seems to have changed after that bar fight .. and when embiid came along, it was a wrap