NBC Sports Edge Forums

CJ Beathard 2017 Season Outlook

2 minutes ago, grimsfield said:

deshaun watson was the the 12th pick. Not the 104th. He also had a sterling college career throwing 41 tds his final college season. And if you want a mobile QB, it doesn't get much better. I would be just slightly willing to bet a couple more people had faith in watson over beathard coming into this season. 

Changing QB is not the answer for SF. they have played 3 literal top 5 pass defenses this season, and they still rank 13th in total yards in offense. Thats not bad. Actually thats quite impressive. Changing the offense is not the answer.

What?? Lol. Come on man. If you're going to hate on Beathard and gripe about this move, at least bring facts to the discussion. Not one of the six defenses SF has faced rank in the top 5 pass defenses in total yardage. One ranks in the top 5 in QB rating. 

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoyer only shined vs that abysmal Indy d and fluky rams game where they got super behind early on. The kid looked good vs an above average redskins d and he’s going into a game facing one of the worst pass defenses in the league. I don’t see what not to like at least this upcoming game 

3 minutes ago, grimsfield said:

I'm not going to respond to this because I feel like I've made my point pretty clear with my previous posts. I'll just let this sunday speak for itself.

No, you won't respond because you know you're wrong and now realize how ridiculous you sound. Your point lacks factual basis. Period. Even the facts you're bringing (3 top 5 pass defenses) are either incorrect or lack any basic research to ascertain how those facts came to be (ie, 350 yards vs Indy last week). 

I'm all for civil discussion and an exchange of ideas, opinions, and facts. But you've come into this thread spewing your vitriol with nothing to back it up. And now you won't even address how Hoyer came to have his two 300 yard games and his 4 TD. 

6 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

What?? Lol. Come on man. If you're going to hate on Beathard and gripe about this move, at least bring facts to the discussion. Not one of the six defenses SF has faced rank in the top 5 pass defenses in total yardage. One ranks in the top 5 in QB rating. 

Could care less about the defenses' yardage allowed this season so far. Care more about their actual difficulty in playing against. Seattle, arizona, and carolina are absolutely elite. If you deny that then you haven't been paying attention much these last few years.

Edited by grimsfield
Just now, Flyman75 said:

Neither did grimsfield before he started his diatribe. He does now. 

You really must think beathard is the next coming of jesus or something huh? You really think he's gonna be good this sunday? I just want you to say it so we can watch you eat crow later once he's benched in a couple games hoyer is back starting again.

Just now, grimsfield said:

Could care less about the defenses yardage allowed this season so far. Care more about their actual difficulty in playing against. Seattle, arizona, and carolina are absolutely elite. If you deny that then you haven't been paying attention much these last few years.

LOL! Good lord. Do you do any research at all? Seattle is a good pass defense...has been for a long time. They currently rank 9th in yardage and 3rd in QB rating. Carolina ranks 7th in yardage. But since you don't care about that, perhaps you'd like to know that they're ranked 26 in QB rating. That is NOT good. That elite Arizona pass defense? How about 26th in pass yardage allowed and 23rd in QB rating. Yep, that's elite. I've payed plenty of attention in the last few years. Have you paid attention to 2017, or do you just go off the past? 

3 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

LOL! Good lord. Do you do any research at all? Seattle is a good pass defense...has been for a long time. They currently rank 9th in yardage and 3rd in QB rating. Carolina ranks 7th in yardage. But since you don't care about that, perhaps you'd like to know that they're ranked 26 in QB rating. That is NOT good. That elite Arizona pass defense? How about 26th in pass yardage allowed and 23rd in QB rating. Yep, that's elite. I've payed plenty of attention in the last few years. Have you paid attention to 2017, or do you just go off the past? 

Ya I have payed attention to 2017, but I've also paid attention to matchups. Some teams have faced much better passing offenses than others and as a consequence those teams have worse stats against the pass. This is why I take yardage allowed with grain of salt. If you want to ignore that, you can, but its a mistake. Anyway, its clear you're trying to bait me, so I'm done in this thread for now. Like I said previously, lets let this sunday speak for itself.

Edited by grimsfield
Just now, grimsfield said:

You really must think beathard is the next coming of jesus or something huh? You really think he's gonna be good this sunday? I just want you to say it so we can watch you eat crow later once he's benched in a couple games hoyer is back starting again.

If you will go back and read what I initially wrote to you (since comprehension is a struggle for you), I specifically stated that I'm not going to say that Beathard is going to be a good QB. I'm not coming at you about you're being down on Beathard. Go ahead and take a moment to go look for it. I'm coming at you about your insistence that Hoyer is somehow a good QB and unworthy of being benched. If you'd learn to comprehend what you read, you'd understand that. 

I don't know that Beathard is going to be good or even competent as an NFL QB. I do know that Hoyer has sucked this year and is worthy of being benched to see if the backup can somehow spark the team. If Beathard cannot, then put Hoyer back in and get ready to have the No1 overall pick. 

2 minutes ago, grimsfield said:

Ya I have payed attention to 2017, but I've also paid attention to matchups. Some teams have faced much better passing offenses than other and those have worse stats against the pass. This is why I take yardard allowed with grain of salt. If you want to ignore that, you can, but its a mistake. Anyway, its clear you're trying to bait me, so I'm done in this thread for now. Like I said previously, lets let this sunday speak for itself.

You're done because you have no argument and have been proven wrong and unfactual at every turn. Don't like yardage? That's fine. QB rating says a lot about a pass defense and how efficient it is. Carolina and Arizona (two of your purported elite pass defenses) both rank in the bottom third of the league in that category.

If you want to come back and have a reasonable, factual, and civil discussion on Hoyer vs Beathard, I'm all for it. Let's do it. I'm wrong a lot, but the facts on Hoyer speak loudly, imho.

Edited by Flyman75
Just now, Flyman75 said:

You're done because you have no argument and have been proven wrong and unfactual at every turn. Don't like yardage? That's fine. QB rating says a lot about a pass defense and how efficient it is. Carolina and Arizona (two of your purported elite pass defenses) both rank in the bottom third of the league in that category.

I'm done because I don't like saying the same thing 15 times.

1 minute ago, grimsfield said:

I'm done because I don't like saying the same thing 15 times.

Prove me wrong. Prove the facts I've brought to you wrong. Or make me understand a different set of facts that prove Hoyer to be a good and/or competent QB. When I look at the fact that he has added no spark...passed for no TDs in the first three quarters of any game...has compiled a chunk of his yardage late in games as they attempt to come back...I see a QB that deserves to be benched. I keep waiting for something from you like the moxie he showed in those two comebacks to bring the 49ers to within 3pts and 2pts of those losses against Indy and LAR. I can respect that, even if I disagree. But you're bringing nothing but conjecture and subjective information that is not supported by factual argument. 

18 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Prove me wrong. Prove the facts I've brought to you wrong. Or make me understand a different set of facts that prove Hoyer to be a good and/or competent QB. When I look at the fact that he has added no spark...passed for no TDs in the first three quarters of any game...has compiled a chunk of his yardage late in games as they attempt to come back...I see a QB that deserves to be benched. I keep waiting for something from you like the moxie he showed in those two comebacks to bring the 49ers to within 3pts and 2pts of those losses against Indy and LAR. I can respect that, even if I disagree. But you're bringing nothing but conjecture and subjective information that is not supported by factual argument. 

My focus isn't just on this season. You've already pretty much said I'm dumb for not focusing more on this season, but I think I could turn that around on you just as easily and say I think its pretty shortsighted not to at least be aware of the past. Hoyer is a qb who has never been given a steady run at a job, however in the past few years he has been very serviceable. Limiting turnovers and completing passes at a decent percentage. In 2015 he probably would have put somewhere around 3800-4000 yarda and 26-30 tds if he'd started the entire season. Last year he played behind cutler with crappy injured recievers see: kevin white, alshon (whos never been especially good at catching). He managed 1450 yards in 6 games with no interceptions and a 67% completion percentage. This season though 5 games he had 1200 yards and despite your denial of it, 3 of those games were against some very tough defenses. 

You are selling him short. 

Edited by grimsfield

CJ looked good last Sunday. He gets a bottom rung pass D in Dallas this week. That's gotta be worth something. He should have a good game this week. Hoyer is who we thought he was. He plays well in spurts but then sucks for multiple plays/games. CJ should be worth at least a shot in 2 qb leagues with possibly being a serviceable backup for traditional 1 qb leagues. I'm intrigued.

16 minutes ago, grimsfield said:

My focus isn't just on this season. You've already pretty much said I'm dumb for not focusing more on this season, but I think I could turn that around on you just as easily and say I think its pretty shortsighted not to at least be aware of the past. Hoyer is a qb who has never been given a steady run at a job, however in the past few years he has been very serviceable. Limiting turnovers and completing passes at a decent percentage. In 2015 he probably would have put somewhere around 3800-4000 yarda and 26-30 tds if he'd started the entire season. Last year he played behind cutler with crappy injured recievers see: kevin white, alshon (whos never been especially good at catching). He managed 1450 yards in 6 games with no interceptions and a 67% completion percentage. This season though 5 games he had 1200 yards and despite your denial of it, 3 of those games were against some very tough defenses. 

You are selling him short. 

Now that is substance. Thanks. 

When looking at the 49ers this year, I think Shanahan knows that Hoyer is not the longterm answer. They're 0-6...they're going nowhere. So what they have right now is a choice to make. Keep going with the veteran who has not played well this year (despite what he may have done in previous seasons) and finish with an abysmal record...or go with the rookie to see what they have in him. The next 10 games affords Shanahan and Lynch the opportunity to see if Beathard had the chops to be a winning NFL QB, and if he falls flat on his face (which he may very well do), then they can either go draft a top QB high in the first round or go sign a FA QB they believe them the opportunity to win. 

The bottom line for me is this: Hoyer is not the longterm answer. Starting Sunday, Shanny and Lynch are going to see if the longterm answer is on their roster or not, and if he isn't, that helps give them direction in the spring. 

Btw, after stepping away from the laptop for a bit, I realize that I came across as a complete tool to you, and for that I apologize. I could have made my arguments in a much more constructive and respectful manner. I did not, and I'm sorry for communicating with you disrespectfully and with a heavy dose of condescension. That is not how I like to carry myself. No excuses. 

Hating on a rookie qb who damn near led his team to a comeback win on the road? Did this kid steal your lunch money and Hoyer beat him up for you? No one knows how CJ is gonna do but he cannot be any worse than Hoyer. Maybe do yourself a solid and just leave the topic alone. 

4 hours ago, grimsfield said:

Yes, because Hoyer has looked so good this year.  This kid looked better than Hoyer as soon as he came into the game in his first ever NFL action.