NBC Sports Edge Forums

CJ Beathard 2017 Season Outlook

On 10/18/2017 at 9:18 PM, Flyman75 said:

Oh lord. This will either be an epic failure where we all hate each other for talking each other into this...or we'll all smoke cigars and sit around and tell stories of our cunning victory due to some rook name CJ Beathard. 

I'm in! Watson and Stafford on bye and Colts been pulling my chain on Luck all year the bastids.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/18/2017 at 2:18 PM, Flyman75 said:

Oh lord. This will either be an epic failure where we all hate each other for talking each other into this...or we'll all smoke cigars and sit around and tell stories of our cunning victory due to some rook name CJ Beathard. 

gl to you all today, ballsy call which could really pay off bigly :D  wanted to take the plunge myself, but already have Hyde going ... hope this kid shines for y'all

tenor.gif

1 hour ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

gl to you all today, ballsy call which could really pay off bigly :D  wanted to take the plunge myself, but already have Hyde going ... hope this kid shines for y'all

tenor.gif

Thanks, lol. Nice gif, btw :D. I've got a tough matchup this week, so I'm taking some chances because I need to. CJ is one of those chances, and we'll see how it plays out. Just need him for a week, but depending on how he looks (not just his stats) I may run him out for another week or two over Jameis. 

Shanhan does a half hour sit down with a prominent beat writer on local TV each week.  Predictably, half of this week's show was devoted to questions about Beathard.  Maybe necessity breeds calm (anything but Hoyer), but Shanahan looked and sounded quite confident that Beathard could do the job.  

Also, Shanahan confirmed that Beathard will be on the move far more often than Hoyer was.  That is not to suggest that Beathard isn't a pocket passer first and foremost.  It just means that bootlegs and moving pockets will be a bigger part of the gameplan.  I bet Beathard gets some decent run yards out of that movement.

For all you living dangerously and starting Beathard, this game has every chance of being an entertaining barn burner.  For better or for worse, Beathard won't be coddled, and his leash is a mile long.  No matter what happens early, Shanahan is going to tell him to shake it off and get right back at it.   Beathard will have to be knocked out to come out, as he's one tough SOB.

To honor Beathard in his debut, I made room for him in one league and benched Cam and Cousins.  If Beathard has a memorable start to his career, I want to feel like I was in on it.  I'll feel like a moron if he lays an egg, but Shanahan's demeanor has me thinking that the game won't be too big for this kid.

Let's go do this.

Edited by Rolling Thunder
43 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

Shanhan does a half hour sit down with a prominent beat writer on local TV each week.  Predictably, half of this week's show was devoted to questions about Beathard.  Maybe necessity breeds calm (anything but Hoyer), but Shanahan looked and sounded quite confident that Beathard could do the job.  

Also, Shanahan confirmed that Beathard will be on the move far more often than Hoyer was.  That is not to suggest that Beathard isn't a pocket passer first and foremost.  It just means that bootlegs and moving pockets will be a bigger part of the gameplan.  I bet Beathard gets some decent run yards out of that movement.

For all you living dangerously and starting Beathard, this game has every chance of being an entertaining barn burner.  For better or for worse, Beathard won't be coddled, and his leash is a mile long.  No matter what happens early, Shanahan is going to tell him to shake it off and get right back at it.   Beathard will have to be knocked out to come out, as he's one tough SOB.

To honor Beathard in his debut, I made room for him in one league and benched Cam and Cousins.  If Beathard has a memorable start to his career, I want to feel like I was in on it.  I'll feel like a moron if he lays an egg, but Shanahan's demeanor has me thinking that the game won't be too big for this kid.

Let's go do this.

giphy.gif

47 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

Let's go do this.

rbZYW.gif

22/38/235/0

5/31/1

2 fumbles

My take:

1. Definitely has a toughness to him

2. Took a lot of blows - offensive line/pass protection was terrible

3. Seemed accurate

4. Not a strong arm

5. Has great feet and good rushing/mobility

6. Pocket presence was terrible

7. Dallas looked like a different team - desperate for a win

Looked much better than Hundley.

Thoughts?

1 minute ago, jtbgator said:

22/38/235/0

5/31/1

2 fumbles

My take:

3. Seemed accurate

4. Not a strong arm

Thoughts?

Hoyer should be starting.

5 minutes ago, jtbgator said:

22/38/235/0

5/31/1

2 fumbles

My take:

3. Seemed accurate

4. Not a strong arm

Thoughts?

I was underwhelmed with Hundley. Beathard seemed a tad bit better but none of these guys are stashworthy in my opinion (I am in a 14 team 1 QB league where QBs are scarce)

Edited by ywallet
1 hour ago, grimsfield said:

Hoyer should be starting.

No. They need to see what they have in Beathard to have a better grasp on what the QB position looks like longterm. Hoyer is not their longterm future. It'll either be Beathard or a FA signing or a 2018 draft pick. It most definitely will not be Hoyer, so they need to see what they have in Beathard. Even if they determine he's not their longterm starter, they can decide if he's a worthy backup to carry. 

They're not winning this year, so this isn't about getting as many wins as they can in 2017. It has become about the future of the franchise and finding a direction. 

Edited by Flyman75
2 hours ago, jtbgator said:

22/38/235/0

5/31/1

2 fumbles

My take:

3. Seemed accurate

4. Not a strong arm

Thoughts?

He played very well, especially given what little help his OL gave him.  It has been common knowledge from day one that they have no interior OL (or CBs or LB depth).  When Trent Brown left with a concussion, the OL play became downright commical.  Through it all, Beathard kept seeing the field, making the right reads and hitting the open guys. Actually, for his first professional start, it was a very commendable showing.

He is not an elite athlete.  He does not have elite arm strength.  His pocket presence didn't look good. But they probably said that about Cousins when he was rookie too.  

As bad as the OL is on this team, Beathard could have easily had another score or two in this game, but for the fumbles.  As it was, Beathard was a way better start than Cam, who was my other option. 

Not disappointed at all.  No one should be.

Edited by Rolling Thunder

FWIW

It was one ugly mess on Sunday in Santa Clara, but don’t let one really bad game dissuade you. Beathard has talent and he has weapons to utilize when the matchup is right. His next three games are made for matchup heaven: At Philadelphia and at home for the Cardinals and Giants. Those three are all in the bottom third of the league in allowing quarterback points. As long as Beathard doesn’t go gun-shy after getting pummeled on Sunday, he’s got a chance for some nice bye-week fill-in results.

52 minutes ago, jtbgator said:

FWIW

It was one ugly mess on Sunday in Santa Clara, but don’t let one really bad game dissuade you. Beathard has talent and he has weapons to utilize when the matchup is right. His next three games are made for matchup heaven: At Philadelphia and at home for the Cardinals and Giants. Those three are all in the bottom third of the league in allowing quarterback points. As long as Beathard doesn’t go gun-shy after getting pummeled on Sunday, he’s got a chance for some nice bye-week fill-in results.

This might be the dumbest blurb ive ever seen on this site. Shows a complete lack of awareness by the writer. 

1 minute ago, grimsfield said:

This might be the dumbest blurb ive ever seen on this site. Shows a complete lack of awareness by the writer. 

Come on man ... in all seriousness, he wasn't that terrible. I mean he wasn't Hundley bad. I admit, CJ was pretty bad yesterday but he did have some bright spots. I think he can get better. I for one, will likely move on. I went bold and took him over McCown and it backfired. Still won though :)

1 minute ago, jtbgator said:

Come on man ... in all seriousness, he wasn't that terrible. I mean he wasn't Hundley bad. I admit, CJ was pretty bad yesterday but he did have some bright spots. I think he can get better. I for one, will likely move on. I went bold and took him over McCown and it backfired. Still won though :)

Those 3 defenses he's going up against next... those are all better defenses then dallas against the pass. He was bad. 2 turnovers, 57% completion rate. No passing tds. Thats not good. Not against that defense.

1 minute ago, grimsfield said:

Those 3 defenses he's going up against next... those are all better defenses then dallas against the pass. He was bad. 2 turnovers, 57% completion rate. No passing tds. Thats not good. Not against that defense.

Yea I agree with you. He should've been able to get at least 1-2 passing TD's against Dallas.

If you play in a deeper keeper league or dynasty I'd definitely be targeting him.  This guy is a ROOKIE QB and I think he has looked very good considering this was his first full game. It's going to take time, Watson the rookie sensation of the year even looked rough his first game and a half. I wouldn't be shocked if he continues to improve (not to Watson's level) but I think this kid has a future in this league based on what I've seen so far.

5 hours ago, grimsfield said:

Turnovers are largely random.   Without the fumbles, Beathard probably throws for at least one, if not two scores, on top of the one he scored with his legs, which last I checked, counts as much as a TD throw in all leagues.

In addition, Beathard accounted for as many 1st downs through the air as Dak, and almost as many yards.

For a debut, this guy played just fine "against that defense."  He got no help from his OL, or his defense.  Doesn't detract from his personal performance.

2 hours ago, iretirefromfantasy said:

He is no better than Hoyer, he is killing Hyde's value! 

Like a vampire.  The experiment is over.  At least Hoyer kept the team competitive.

I can't stomach to watch this kid play any longer.  He needs to go back to the bench NOW.