NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Frank Ntilikina 2017-18 Season Outlook

ShopHeirlooms

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, rob0403 said:

I guess you are talking about mental/pressure cause I think he had that ankle injury beginning of season but he seems ok now.

Picked him back up after a dreadful stretch. He's starting to come on again with the assists.

No I am talking about physical stress.  The guy probably has never played this much in his life, is extremely young, and so they will be careful about giving him big minutes.  I could see them take it up by February though. 

omg... I need to know who's doubting him right now? Get him for Henson in my dynasty league a month ago and I feel like I've won the lottery.

2 games in a row playing meaningful minutes in the 4th, 2 wins, very few mistakes to say the least, athleticism, smartness, and a great situation in New-York. What not to like FRANKly?

Truth is they couldn't have gone wrong with either. Now potential wise, Frankie MAY have the edge. But what really is impressive to me is the maturity at such position coming from the 2nd youngest player in the league. This can only accelerate the process of Hornacek giving him the keys of the point guard position with 30+ minutes.

1 minute ago, GJDHouse said:

The comp is Gary Payton if he fulfills his potential.  FN can really defend, and has good vision for a 19 yr old. 

I was going to give the exact same comparison (defensively)...and I'm from Oakland. Opposite personality though. His defense and instincts are above avg right now. Next year he's going to be fun to watch but he's going to have to get confident on offense. I can see a little Rondo in him too with that broken shot.

I don't see why the knicks just don't give him the 28-32 mins a game now..theres no point giving minutes to Lee or Jarret Jack they are not part of their future/core.

Im thinking hes going to start pretty soon for them...hes a rookie though so he will have his ups and downs.

I don't see why the knicks just don't give him the 28-32 mins a game now..theres no point giving minutes to Lee or Jarret Jack they are not part of their future/core.

Im thinking hes going to start pretty soon for them...hes a rookie though so he will have his ups and downs.

26 minutes ago, rage2021 said:

The only reason at this point is he's 19 and they don't want him to burn out. 

1 hour ago, rage2021 said:

Hey now, as a Courtney Lee owner, let's just take minutes away from Jack and keep Courtney Lee riiiiiight where he is.

13 hours ago, GJDHouse said:

Frank is a full 2 years younger than DM. Give him 2 years and we will see who is on the same level. 

Yep, and they are two completely different players. Frank is a 1 that has freakish length that is a distributor and defender that is developing his offensive game. Donovan is offensively developed developing the ability to run an offense and distribute as an undersized 2 or combo 1. Comping these two players is not fair. 

4 hours ago, rage2021 said:

Aside from the last 8ish minutes in the 4Q, Frank is getting his minutes vs. other teams second units. When he is going good he closes out the 4Q. When he isn't Jack replaces him. That is a luxury the Knicks created for themselves. It isn't as easy as giving Frankie Smokes the starting gig and having him run vs. oppositions starters and using Jack as the safety net when the team is competing and playing well. I am not saying it won't happen, I just think it isn't as close as everyone thinks. Considering how well he is doing, I think Hornachek is doing an amazing job bringing him along. I think he can handle himself vs. opposing 1's, I just think the Knicks aren't at that point....yet. They face OKC, Char, Bost, Det, Philly, Chi, SAS, NOP, SAS to close out the year. Depending on KP's status, their season outlook and competitiveness can be decided in the next couple weeks if they 5-4 or 1-8 over that stretch. I don't see Frankie Smokes becoming a starter until after those Spurs games at the earliest. 

14 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

I think he can handle himself vs. opposing 1's, I just think the Knicks aren't at that point....yet. They face OKC, Char, Bost, Det, Philly, Chi, SAS, NOP, SAS to close out the year. Depending on KP's status, their season outlook and competitiveness can be decided in the next couple weeks if they 5-4 or 1-8 over that stretch. I don't see Frankie Smokes becoming a starter until after those Spurs games at the earliest. 

Well if he is gonna close most of these games that follows and manage to play somewhat 25-28 mins pg, i don't mind him doing it from the bench against the opposing 2nd units. He is a viable option in a 12 team roster with that kind of playtime until he finally gets the starting job and owners start demanding for more... 

10 minutes ago, Manos A said:

Well if he is gonna close most of these games that follows and manage to play somewhat 25-28 mins pg, i don't mind him doing it from the bench against the opposing 2nd units. He is a viable option in a 12 team roster with that kind of playtime until he finally gets the starting job and owners start demanding for more... 

No doubt, but remember he has better finishers with the first unit. I love him dishing dimes to KP in the 4Q, so I don't think we can extrapolate his stats and apply them to 34 minutes as a starter because they could improve with the first unit.

He is running good now vs. soft matchups. That is why he is closing the game and getting minutes in the healthy 20's. If he makes mistakes or faces a tougher matchup he could give way to Jack in the 4Q. Just providing some context so everyone doesn't expect a steady rise in minutes. 

2 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

He is running good now vs. soft matchups. That is why he is closing the game and getting minutes in the healthy 20's. If he makes mistakes or faces a tougher matchup he could give way to Jack in the 4Q. Just providing some context so everyone doesn't expect a steady rise in minutes. 

Makes sense. Good point