NBC Sports Edge Forums

Tyreke Evans 2017-2018 Outlook

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

An MRI on Tyreke Evans' ribcage revealed slight cartilage damage, but he's considered day-to-day. He's already been ruled out of Monday's contest vs. Boston, but he dodged a bullet here. "We're

This is ridiculous!! Why exactly do players get paid to sit for rest?  The NBA should be ashamed of themselves.  How you can let teams that are clearly benching their players to increase their odds on

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, ludriculp said:

Because if they do and Tyreke plays like all star again, Memphis will have to pay more to retain him. Plus he is unrestricted free agent.  It's business!   I think they'd spend the rest of season take a look or develop their youngsters like Andrew Harrison.

That won't change. Teams already know that Tyreke can play like an all star.

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, ludriculp said:

Because if they do and Tyreke plays like all star again, Memphis will have to pay more to retain him. Plus he is unrestricted free agent.  It's business!   I think they'd spend the rest of season take a look or develop their youngsters like Andrew Harrison.

plz no plz

33 minutes ago, ludriculp said:

Exactly.  Well put.

4 minutes ago, j3rkthenurk said:

That won't change. Teams already know that Tyreke can play like an all star.

Which is another good reason to shut him down at some point.  Plus they obviously don't want him to get injured. 

• Like 1

I am thinking that the fact  he wasn't traded  confirms that Memphis is hoping to sign him in offseason.   Otherwise they would take 2nd round pick for him.     NBA is a business and Tyreke  wants to get paid.  In order to get paid you need to play.   If Grizzlies shut him down, he is gone.  And I don't think that will happen at all 

btw, Gasol will probably be  shut down at some point. 

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, Soccer8098 said:

Why would they ever do that? They want to resign him next year, if they do this he will 100% leave. He is going to play. 

I don't think so, just IMO. As someone stated on this thread, this has to be disheartening for both parties. Showed that no teams were interested in giving up a first round pick for Reke. Grizz already on the books for Parsons outrageous contract, so signing another hampered player would make sense at all. Bet they regret that Parson contract worth $100m. 

If they don't want to keep him after summer they would have accepted the multiple 2nds they were offered. So the plan is to keep him and if they want to do it they won't shut him down for no reason to make him unhappy. What might happen though is limit his minutes to lower than 30.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Because Memphis just sat him out because he was supposed to be getting traded to a contender.

Now not only is he back with Memphis -- an awful team -- but he knows that no team out there thought he was worth a first round pick.

Oh yeah and Memphis didn't want to keep him either (hence the aggressive marketing sales efforts)

I guess he could be motivated to prove people wrong, but you have to admit it's a disheartening turn of events.

This here says it all. No team was willing to give up a first round no matter how good Reke played. Reke hasn't played this many games for a long time and ballin' like his rookie year, but teams are not stupid. Well, maybeMemphis for giving Parsons a $100m contract..

4 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

I am thinking that the fact  he wasn't traded  confirms that Memphis is hoping to sign him in offseason.   Otherwise they would take 2nd round pick for him.     NBA is a business and Tyreke  wants to get paid.  In order to get paid you need to play.   If Grizzlies shut him down, he is gone.  And I don't think that will happen at all 

btw, Gasol will probably be  shut down at some point. 

If the Grizz are really set on wanting to resign him next year they don't need to play him.  If they play him to raise his value how would that help the Grizz?  Not to mention that would be a risky game with his injury history.  I'm not saying he's going to be shut down soon I'm just suggesting that it will most likely happen at some point down the road.  Also,  another thing to take into account is, the fact they are in last playing for nothing.  In addition, Gasol played all summer for his country and has failed to play more than 74 games in 3 out of the last 4 years so he'll most certainly be shut down at some point.  Considering he's played in almost every game so far.  When that happens I'd think at that point they'll shut Tyreke down as well.  Not to mention Conley is already shut down.  Bottom line is there are a lot of things working in favor of an eventual shut down later on this season.

• Like 1

I dropped a couple days ago for some fresh blood (Josh Jackson) thinking that Evans is done for...and yet he stayed! Lesson learned, do not make moves until it actually happens.

Not gonna sleep well tonight...hope he rests a few during fantasy playoffs

This is my thought on Tyreke's playing time going forward:

I think he likes Memphis very much, it's where he went to college and he is having the best season since his ROY campaign. Consider these factors, he is likely to want to stay with Memphis. On the other hand, Grizzlies basically said we have to trade you, but couldn't find any suiters. This is almost like telling someone that he is about to be let go at work, but then retain his service because no other companies wanted him. Not a good thing in terms of professional relationship. Sort of an awkward situation. 

But it's important to split up the "what Tyreke likes" and what Grizzlies likes, as a business. I would ask- "What benefits do Grizzlies have for playing Tyreke a lot the rest of the season?". If he plays alot does well, his contract value goes up, bad for business. If Tyreke plays less or get no playing time, and he likes Memphis alot, heck we might have a better position at the bargaining table. For those who said "everyone knows what Tyreke is capable of", I would ask you to look at this past stats and health issues. He hasn't had such of a good season since his rookie year. 

As Reke fan and owner, do I want him to play alot the rest of the way? Absolutely. But do Grizzlies? We will see. 

4 hours ago, kev777zero said:

I dropped a couple days ago for some fresh blood (Josh Jackson) thinking that Evans is done for...and yet he stayed! Lesson learned, do not make moves until it actually happens.

Not gonna sleep well tonight...hope he rests a few during fantasy playoffs

Tyreke was producing at 3rd round value while coming off the bench earlier this season. So you dropped him because he was (maybe) going to come off the bench again? :blink:

18 minutes ago, Auction>Snake said:

The relationship is tarnished, they'll continue to showcase him and trade him in the off-season. 

I sure feel this way too. Players always stress "we understand it's a business." But at the end of the day, you never know how they feel inside. 

Hope Grizzs prove me wrong.

odd how Grizzlies didn't trade him...completely don't understand it.

Tyreke is going to walk for sure based on how good he's playing, and their relationship is pretty shaky now they shut him down just to trade him but didn't succeed.

I mean, even a 2nd round pick would've been better than nothing?

What's the point of signing Tyreke next year when you're trying to rebuild...unless you're counting on Gasol, Conley and Tyreke to lead you to the PO.

4 hours ago, NBA_OG said:

Consider these factors, he is likely to want to stay with Memphis. On the other hand, Grizzlies basically said we have to trade you, but couldn't find any suiters.

It wasn’t that he didn’t have any suitors. He did. It’s just the Grizzlies wanted a first round pick for him and the teams just weren’t willing to give them that for a more than likely rental. And not trading him for the offers they got (2nd round pick, player, etc), it shows that they do value Tyreke and it was never just about getting rid of him.

With the Lou Will contract, the situation changed where they have that for comparison and feel they have a chance to resign him whereas before when they first sat him they felt they didn’t, which was the whole basis of them trading him.

I am sure Tyreke understands the situation and they talked to him about it. It seems they mutually like eachother. Players are almost traded all the time. And sometimes they are actually traded and have to come back for different reasons (like Pau Gasol for example when Paul almost went to the Lakers).  Tyreke should be fine.

And I don’t think they feel they are in total rebuild mode either which is why they want him beyond this year. So in terms of a shutdown, I don’t see it because if they shut him down then they will also shut down Gasol and he doesn’t seem like the type of player that would be ok with that. The Grizzlies aren’t the Suns.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Kaboom said:

Tyreke was producing at 3rd round value while coming off the bench earlier this season. So you dropped him because he was (maybe) going to come off the bench again? :blink:

He was playing almost 30 minutes off the bench in Memphis...which was likely to go down along with usage elsewhere. He ended up staying so yea I dropped a top 50 guy now lol. Lesson learned: shutting down a player doesn’t mean they will get traded.

I wonder if the Grizzlies holding out Tyreke in advance of trading him signaled to other teams they were bent on moving him and drove offers lower.

In hindsight it probably would have been smarter to take a more relaxed approach,  continue to play Tyreke, let him continue to play well, have have would-be suitors come to them.

42 minutes ago, Tekno Team 2000 said:

I am sure Tyreke understands the situation and they talked to him about it. It seems they mutually like eachother. Players are almost traded all the time. And sometimes they are actually traded and have to come back for different reasons (like Pau Gasol for example when Paul almost went to the Lakers).  Tyreke should be fine.

And I don’t think they feel they are in total rebuild mode either which is why they want him beyond this year. So in terms of a shutdown, I don’t see it because if they shut him down then they will also shut down Gasol and he doesn’t seem like the type of player that would be ok with that. The Grizzlies aren’t the Suns.

In all the years I have watched NBA, i have never seen a team shut down someone so early to "field the best offers". It's common to see them shutting down players 1-2 games before a trade happens because the deal was likely extensively agreed to a point, and both parties feel the deal will very likely happen.

But the key, like you mentioned, is the relationship during this time. Hope Grizzs management sees the value in Reke and has been in touch with him. Would love to see him come back strong, just like he did earlier this season!

Edited by NBA_OG
18 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

I wonder if the Grizzlies holding out Tyreke in advance of trading him signaled to other teams they were bent on moving him and drove offers lower.

In hindsight it probably would have been smarter to take a more relaxed approach,  continue to play Tyreke, let him continue to play well, have have would-be suitors come to them.

I think this approach would've been better. They could've limited his minutes if they were really into re-signing him and wanted to keep him injury-free. 

By not playing him at all, it feels like it was "purely business". And if you treat it this way, then it's only fair that the player look at the organization as just business, nothing more. Meaning loyalty is kept at a minimal.