NBC Sports Edge Forums

Kawhi trade. Veto worthy?

If he notified the league right away, the commissioner should make the adjustment and kill the trade.  Unless of course you are all dicks.  It sounds like just a mechanical error.

Well the kawhi owner didn't notify the league until after the fact another GM complained about the value exchanged. If it were truly accidental, the kawhi owner would have contacted the comissioner immediately noting the error. By vetoing, it sets new precedent that people can renege. 

owner who traded Kawhi was probably a newb and realized he made a dumb mistake when other people complained

For the sake of being fair and good sportsmanship, you can veto if everyone thinks it's lopsided. Who knows, maybe Kawhi doesn't get 100% before fantasy playoffs start or goes on a minute restriction when he comes back.

If the request to rescind was because of another team owner complaining, that is a different situation and the trade should stand; with one caveat.  That caveat is that if the commissioner feels that this trade would hurt the integrity of the league and swing the championship clearly in the favor or the team receiving Kawhi, then kill it.  Trades are rarely equally benefitial to both sides, but if the trade is so lopsided that it it takes the fun out playing for the rest of the league, then kill it and move on.  I don't buy into the theory that collusion is the only reason for rescision.  It is still a game and I can't think of anything worse than competing in a league for 6 month where I have no chance to win because of an extremely lopsided trade.

11 minutes ago, LuN said:

owner who traded Kawhi was probably a newb and realized he made a dumb mistake when other people complained

For the sake of being fair and good sportsmanship, you can veto if everyone thinks it's lopsided. Who knows, maybe Kawhi doesn't get 100% before fantasy playoffs start or goes on a minute restriction when he comes back.

It sounds like buyers remorse. I'm the commish receiving Kawhi. I already own KAT and Curry so I could see other GMs saying I rigged it.

14 minutes ago, patentboy23 said:

It sounds like buyers remorse. I'm the commish receiving Kawhi. I already own KAT and Curry so I could see other GMs saying I rigged it.

Out of curiosity how are you defending the trade to your league mates?  

46 minutes ago, ncbobcats said:

Out of curiosity how are you defending the trade to your league mates?  

I will state that the GM alleging it was a mistake failed to contact the commissioner immediately regarding the error, there was reasonable and sufficient value exchanged, and both parties accepted with injury risk considered.

Couple thoughts, i’m commish myself for my league;

1.) The only way I would ever veto a trade was if there was obvious collusion, or when someone dgaf about their team and blatantly gives up and trades away whomever they are asked for. A good commish will make sure this never happens as they need to be on top of teams not setting their lineup and threaten to ban for following year, as this ruins the competitiveness and spirit of the league.

2.) I don’t think it’s fair to veto for the sake of everyone’s opinion. That’s a slippery slope unless there is predetermined rules or an understanding put into place. What if the Kawhi owner was worried Kawhi will miss tons of time?  The ONLY person to be able to approve veto, imo, is the person who got Kawhi in return. I’ve personally accepted on accident a BS trade, went to my boy, plead my case, and got it reversed.  If this is what truly happened and the Kawhi recipient refuses, then all should beware and say “f this guy” and move on. 

3.) Just personal opinion but looks like original Kawhi owner got shamed into crying wolf on this one, that shouldn’t allow for a veto

2 minutes ago, jjbooda said:

I believe a deal is a deal and some

comments are correct that if it was accidental the kawhi owner notifies commissioner asap.

I'm the commish. After another GM complained on the group chat, the kawhi owner claimed via group chat that it was accidental; he never contacted the comissioner, me, directly.  

3 minutes ago, patentboy23 said:

I'm the commish. After another GM complained on the group chat, the kawhi owner claimed via group chat that it was accidental; he never contacted the comissioner, me, directly.  

I think you need to carefully weigh how it will impact the league. Yes, vetoing something like this is a slippery slope. However, if guys voice concern and don't feel that it's taken into consideration on something like this, they might opt to "quit" on the league, which makes it less fun for everyone. 

The goal is obviously for the league to remain competitive, so I would likely veto the deal in order to protect that.

I always felt like the commissioners job, partly, is to weed out the bad trades from the fair trades. Some commissioners take this to an extreme to the point where the league feels like it’s run by a tyrant that calls all the shots.

Nevertheless, the commissioner should know a good from bad deal. And since you’re the commissioner and you are also the one getting Kawhi, you should know this is a shoddy trade. Veto it.

14 minutes ago, mcflywalker said:

I always felt like the commissioners job, partly, is to weed out the bad trades from the fair trades. Some commissioners take this to an extreme to the point where the league feels like it’s run by a tyrant that calls all the shots.

Nevertheless, the commissioner should know a good from bad deal. And since you’re the commissioner and you are also the one getting Kawhi, you should know this is a shoddy trade. Veto it.

How is it shoddy? Niko is a top talent and kawhi is a top talent who's currently injured.

21 minutes ago, patentboy23 said:

How is it shoddy? Niko is a top talent and kawhi is a top talent who's currently injured.

Kawhi is a top 10 player. Everyone knows this. If you weren’t feeling sketch about the trade, this thread wouldn’t be here. You can always change the trade settings to league votes and let it get handled that way if anything. It’s a bit of a blurred line if you have the final say, and you’re the one benefitting from the uneven trade.