NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2017-2018 Off-season and Hot Stove Thread

2ndCitySox

3 hours ago, Gohawks said:

Gordon is nice but this is all about Ohtani.

Seattle isn't getting Ohtani, and thats why they moved onto Gordon.  Its simply posturing at this point but they are out

Ohtani wants AB's

who are you sitting

Gordon CF

Segura SS

Cano 2B

Cruz DH

Seager 3B

Haniger RF

Gamel/Healy 1B

Heredia/Gamel LF

Zunino

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Golden Spikes said:

Source: Mariners attempting to sway Ohtani from his verbal commitment to Padres. The belief is still that he will honor his commitment, but this may drag on for a few days.

when it comes to money its irrelevant.

Isn't the news that he MADE a verbal commitment to the Padres?  This is the first time I've heard that at all.  First that news and details thereof.  Then the "attempt to sway" news please.

When did he make that verbal commitment and why hasn't it been posted here before?

Jfazz23, that 17-year old SS (isn't he 18 yet?) would be Kevin Maitan.  He has a thread  in the Minor League Forum here.  He was signed a few days ago by the Angels.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Isn't the news that he MADE a verbal commitment to the Padres?  This is the first time I've heard that at all.  First that news and details thereof.  Then the "attempt to sway" news please.

When did he make that verbal commitment and why hasn't it been posted here before?

Jfazz23, that 17-year old SS (isn't he 18 yet?) would be Kevin Maitan.  He has a thread  in the Minor League Forum here.  He was signed a few days ago by the Angels.

I am just sharing the tweet fwiw Karim @Kareezy was the one who broke the Jansen and Turner deals almost to the dollar a few days before hand along others.  Many think he has an insider at CAA.  Also was ahead of Chip Kelly to UCLA 2 days before

Edited by Golden Spikes
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Golden Spikes said:

Seattle isn't getting Ohtani, and thats why they moved onto Gordon.  Its simply posturing at this point but they are out

Ohtani wants AB's

who are you sitting

Gordon CF

Segura SS

Cano 2B

Cruz DH

Seager 3B

Haniger RF

Gamel/Healy 1B

Heredia/Gamel LF

Zunino

RIght....That extra international signing money was just because. Also, he would be the DH. That's the entire point of going to the AL. 

Source: Mariners attempting to sway Ohtani from his verbal commitment to Padres. The belief is still that he will honor his commitment, but this may drag on for a few days.

when it comes to money its irrelevant.

Look, I understand you may want him but citing a dude that isn't verified and doesn't even have 100 followers is laughable. I mean honestly. There's no reason for him to verbally commit and then just let it drag out for the hell of it. I have seen accounts with 100x the followers this dude has if not more spewing sources for other teams. The same guy said the news will break today. It hasn't. 

Here are two accounts claiming he is going to the Mariners:

One of those has over 10k followers and a fairly legit looking website. Using a guy with practically no followers to make yourself feel better is sad. I'm not saying he is going to Seattle or not going to Padres. I'm saying it is highly unknown and thinking otherwise is setting yourself up for massive disappointment. I do believe they are the two front-runners because they both fit his requirements extremely well. 

17 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Stanton reportedly declines both Sf and Saint Louis. 

Where did you see that?  I just saw he preferred the Dodgers and Yankees both of which have major luxury tax issues right now so it would be really hard to cut a deal with either club.  Yankees clear some by next year but they seem more interested in Manny Machado or Bryce Harper next year both of whom wouldn't cost them prospects.  He also said he was open to the Cubs and Astros.  But didn't see he officially declined SF or StL as yet.

Okay so the Mariner tweets come in to counter the Padres tweet.  Now watch Ohtani go somewhere totally unexpected, hah.

38 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Where did you see that?  I just saw he preferred the Dodgers and Yankees both of which have major luxury tax issues right now so it would be really hard to cut a deal with either club.  Yankees clear some by next year but they seem more interested in Manny Machado or Bryce Harper next year both of whom wouldn't cost them prospects.  He also said he was open to the Cubs and Astros.  But didn't see he officially declined SF or StL as yet.

Okay so the Mariner tweets come in to counter the Padres tweet.  Now watch Ohtani go somewhere totally unexpected, hah.

Ken Rosenthal reporting it. 

http://mlb.mlb.com/r/article?ymd=20171207&content_id=263112926&vkey=news_mia&c_id=mia

Edited by AnonymousRob

2 hours ago, Gohawks said:

RIght....That extra international signing money was just because. Also, he would be the DH. That's the entire point of going to the AL. 

Look, I understand you may want him but citing a dude that isn't verified and doesn't even have 100 followers is laughable. I mean honestly. There's no reason for him to verbally commit and then just let it drag out for the hell of it. I have seen accounts with 100x the followers this dude has if not more spewing sources for other teams. The same guy said the news will break today. It hasn't. 

Here are two accounts claiming he is going to the Mariners:

One of those has over 10k followers and a fairly legit looking website. Using a guy with practically no followers to make yourself feel better is sad. I'm not saying he is going to Seattle or not going to Padres. I'm saying it is highly unknown and thinking otherwise is setting yourself up for massive disappointment. I do believe they are the two front-runners because they both fit his requirements extremely well. 

everyone is guessing, only reason I quoted the guy I did because he broke the Jansen, Turner and Chip Kelly news

as far is the 2 guys you quote why would he inform the Mariners last week, and then go thru 7 meetings and all the nonsense

2 minutes ago, Golden Spikes said:

everyone is guessing, only reason I quoted the guy I did because he broke the Jansen, Turner and Chip Kelly news

as far is the 2 guys you quote why would he inform the Mariners last week, and then go thru 7 meetings and all the nonsense

Eh, it's not really guessing when you're quoting a source. 

6 minutes ago, taobball said:

Eh, it's not really guessing when you're quoting a source. 

everyone has a source it seems

I am trying to look at objectively based on everything Ohtani has said over the last year.  To me the 2 favorites are the Angels and the Padres

he has said he wants to play where he has a legitimate chance to play both ways (IMO eliminates Dodgers, Cubs and now Mariners, I just don't see a place for AB's)

he has said wants to play on the west coast (eliminates Rangers, Cubs again)

he has said he wants to play where he doesn't want to be in the shadow of other Japanese greats (Ichiro obviously)

his translator is Nomo's son...Nomo works for the Padres

Andy Green played in Japan

he has trained with the Padres the last 2 years in Peoria

21 minutes ago, Golden Spikes said:

I am trying to look at objectively based on everything Ohtani has said over the last year.  To me the 2 favorites are the Angels and the Padres

he has said he wants to play where he has a legitimate chance to play both ways (IMO eliminates Dodgers, Cubs and now Mariners, I just don't see a place for AB's)

he has said he wants to play where he doesn't want to be in the shadow of other Japanese greats (Ichiro obviously)

If you knew the obsession Dipoto has had with Ohtani you'd know playing isn't a question. If he told them he wants to be a DH they'd say yes.

I do think Padres have a big chance but saying the Mariners are out is ridiculous. Especially considering a lot of the big time reporters said GMs view them as the favorites and they know more about Ohtani than anyone at this point. I'd say it's 40% Mariners 40% 20% everyone else.

1 minute ago, Gohawks said:

If you knew the obsession Dipoto has had with Ohtani you'd know playing isn't a question. If he told them he wants to be a DH they'd say yes.

I do think Padres have a big chance but saying the Mariners are out is ridiculous. Especially considering a lot of the big time reporters said GMs view them as the favorites and they know more about Ohtani than anyone at this point. I'd say it's 40% Mariners 40% 20% everyone else.

I think Preller when it comes to obsession takes it one further, Preller was in charge of overseas scouting for the Rangers and tried to sign Ohtani out of HS

my honest opinion is 49/49 Padres/Mariners 2% field

1 minute ago, Golden Spikes said:

I think Preller when it comes to obsession takes it one further, Preller was in charge of overseas scouting for the Rangers and tried to sign Ohtani out of HS

my honest opinion is 49/49 Padres/Mariners 2% field

Yeah from everything released about him to me it seems like a two headed race. Mariners offer more immediate money, better Japanese culture, better immediate contention (with Gordon and Ohtani they can be quite a threat), and closer to Japan. Padres basically just have a ton more connections and the ability to build his own legacy. Both are huge so we will see. 

3 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Yeah from everything released about him to me it seems like a two headed race. Mariners offer more immediate money, better Japanese culture, better immediate contention (with Gordon and Ohtani they can be quite a threat), and closer to Japan. Padres basically just have a ton more connections and the ability to build his own legacy. Both are huge so we will see. 

Yah if money isn't an issue its alot closer.  Its funny I always assumed Seattle had a bigger Japanese market as well, turns out it doesn't. 

its funny though that we think of Japanese culture maybe playing a role, but according to census San Diego city has 11,000, while Seattle has under 9,000.  Either way I don't consider it a significant mark

Yah if money isn't an issue its alot closer.  Its funny I always assumed Seattle had a bigger Japanese market as well, turns out it doesn't. 

its funny though that we think of Japanese culture maybe playing a role, but according to census San Diego city has 11,000, while Seattle has under 9,000.  Either way I don't consider it a significant mark

Population mate. SD has double the people. 

For me, it's hard to view these moves for money as a desperation move. Without Ohtani, these moves are absolutely terrible and Dipoto might be out of a job. I don't think Mariners went "Yeah looks like the Padres most likely have him. Let's sell our entire farm as a Hail Mary." It's probably either to sweeten the deal like that one tweet mentioned or it really was 50/50. If it's 50/50 2 extra million can easily break that. 

Also, an interesting thing is the meeting. I don't know if he was set to meet with Padres on Tuesday all along but moving it up to Tuesday would seem like a bad thing. As in, he already made up

his mind so he just wanted to get it over with.

However, the reality is it's all 100% speculation. As mentioned before no one knows a damn thing. Even the entire Ichiro thing. You can spin it as a negative or positive. However, no one knows a damn thing.

2 hours ago, Golden Spikes said:

Really?  You think the Mariners are so stacked that they can't find ABs for the Babe Ruth of Japan?