2017-2018 Off-season and Hot Stove Thread

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

JT Realmuto right now  

This doesn't belong here but had no idea where else to put it so people will see it. Tonight (1/30) starting at 7:00pm CST MLB.TV will run a documentary on Tony Gwynn. Should be worth watching as he w

Posted Images

Rotoworld on Stanton:

Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that a Giancarlo Stanton trade with the Yankees is "close if not done."

The Dodgers have also been in touch with the Marlins in regard to Stanton, but talks with the Yankees have been more serious and are apparently close to the finish line. No word yet on the specifics involved, but multiple reports suggest the Yankees are looking to move one of their veteran contracts back to the Marlins along with a package of prospects. Trading Jacoby Ellsbury is unlikely, so it would probably be someone like Starlin Castro or Chase Headley. Yes, Stanton and Aaron Judge in the same lineup is close to becoming a reality.
Related: Yankees

Dec 9 - 12:49 AM

I mentioned in Stanton thread headley would make no sense at all since the marlins are trying to get rid of their bloated salary vet 3B.  They don't need two useless 3B on the team and there is no way anyone will take Prado off their hands let alone having both him and Headley around.  (And Justin Boar sez stay away from 1B, Mr Headley as well).  But Starlin Castro and Friends (prospects) makes some sense.

2 minutes ago, absknicks said:

They'll still be after Machado. 

That's fine I want the Phils to get Harper

his numbers at the bank are ridiculous and Phils can basically outbid anyone

and Harper seems like type of guy who would like sticking it to his old team often

Edited by XxxOilOverloadxxX
48 minutes ago, chud12 said:

I reported #Yankees are sending at least Castro to #Marlins among veterans and prospects, but not their top one

Castro is going to keep being that guy that keeps getting traded before his team wins a world series. "Bridesmaid" might be a good nickname.

• Haha 1

I think this is going to be a lot worse for the Marlins then they think.

Fanbases, especailly small market, can begrudgingly accept that a player is going to leave via free agency.  So trade him and get some prospects we can root for.  That didn't happen here.  Stanton under contract.  They got nothing in return.

This is not just any player either.  This is the franchise.

Be unforgivable if it was my home team.  They'd be dead to me.

• Like 1
Just now, trojans888 said:

I think this is going to be a lot worse for the Marlins then they think.

Fanbases, especailly small market, can begrudgingly accept that a player is going to leave via free agency.  So trade him and get some prospects we can root for.  That didn't happen here.  Stanton under contract.  They got nothing in return.

This is not just any player either.  This is the franchise.

Be unforgivable if it was my home team.  They'd be dead to me.

True, and I agree with a lot of the sentiment, but at the same time, we're talkinga bout a contract that is unfathomable to most market teams. The contract is locking them up hard. 

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Do you guys think Ohtani will throw 170 innings in 2018? If so, he would be an excellent SP2 for fantasy purposes. I could see myself drafting him in the 5th round.

His career high is only like 160 IP and he was limited to just 25 IP last season. I'm not sure I see him pitching more than 150 IP in 2018.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

I'm interested in seeing where Frazier goes, as they have no need for him. Unless they're going to dump Gardner, but seems they're keeping him around. 

Person in the Yankees thread mentioned that if they don't trade Gardner (again, they have been trying for a couple of years now) he walks at the end of this season.  I mean they REALLY want to trade him because this is the last year they can get any kind of return on him.

But if not then Clint Frazier may be playing a lot of AAA ball this season.  Well until the always expected Stanton injury happens that is.  But starting in 2019 you would be down to Frazier, Hicks, Judge and Stanton for three outfield spots and the DH.  Ellsbury, of course, is the official bench warmer.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Golden Spikes said:

big winner could be no 5 hitter

Didi

also is Torres going to start at 2B?

Mlb network had a lineup today with Didi at cleanup?!? 

How is 2-5 not some version of Stanton, Sanchez, Judge, Bird?

Yankees willing to eat "a lot" to move Ellsbury. He's owed 60+ million the next three years and then a 5 million buyout in year four and I believe he has a NTC and enjoys NY, but maybe bring bumped to the fifth outfielder will convince him to go to a place he might start. 

If NYY pay a lot - as in almost all of it - I'm sure several teams would be open to giving Jacoby a chance to earn some real playing time. 

3 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

Yankees willing to eat "a lot" to move Ellsbury. He's owed 60+ million the next three years and then a 5 million buyout in year four and I believe he has a NTC and enjoys NY, but maybe bring bumped to the fifth outfielder will convince him to go to a place he might start. 

If NYY pay a lot - as in almost all of it - I'm sure several teams would be open to giving Jacoby a chance to earn some real playing time. 

Why?  He isn't any good.

Also the Yankees have a problem with the luxury tax so I'm sure they don't want to pay almost all of his salary.  They want to dump his salary.  Which is a near impossible task.  Salary dumps are pretty near impossible to do unless the "dumpee" has some actual value like Stanton.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

He's laughably overpriced but to say he isn't any good is too much.  Guy is worth 1+ WAR at a minimum. That has value, even with the injuries. NY Post reporting Yankees are willing to eat "a lot" of that contract to move him, but if you have an alternative source saying otherwise I'd be happy to read it. 

20 minutes ago, Golden Spikes said:

Didi has become a pretty great hitter

Given the options available, he's not the four hitter. Even if you ignore all the "just enoughs" he hit and buy the power as real, he's not a better power option for the cleanup spot. I'll grant you he's turned himself into a good hitter, but c'mon. Look at these monsters