NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2017-2018 Off-season and Hot Stove Thread

2ndCitySox

Thats chump change for Smyly  IF he comes back healthy. Thats a very good signing.

JDM is meeting with teams in Orlando . Possible we know by Thursday evening.

If the Red Sox can get both Hosmer and JDM they will have matched what the Yankees did. Plus they will have a healthy David Price . Maybe. Unless they trade him

Very interesting move for Cardinals as now they almost have to move another OF or 2. Fowler and Ozuna will be penciled in as every day players, but now where do Tommy Pham, Jose Martinez, Stephen Piscotty, and Randall Grichuk fit in. Only one spot to fill for those 4 guys.

EDIT:

Looks like Piscotty on the move, too, so situation may be clearing up as we speak. Just praying Pham rightfully gets a full time playing spot after breaking out last year. It took him a while to get Matheny's trust early in the year.

Edited by Sidearmer

3 minutes ago, Sidearmer said:

Very interesting move for Cardinals as now they almost have to move another OF or 2. Fowler and Ozuna will be penciled in as every day players, but now where do Tommy Pham, Jose Martinez, Stephen Piscotty, and Randall Grichuk fit in. Only one spot to fill for those 4 guys.

EDIT:

Looks like Piscotty on the move, too, so situation may be clearing up as we speak. Just praying Pham rightfully gets a full time playing spot after breaking out last year. It took him a while to get Matheny's trust early in the year.

I think we're looking at an OF of: Ozuna, Fowler (when healthy), Pham/Grichuk.

I think Ozuna, Fowler, and Pham are starting just about every day with Grichuk as the 4th.  They also have Harrison Bader who debuted last year and Tyler O'neil who is MLB ready. 

I'd expect at least one of Grichuk, Bader, or O'neill to be on the move if they aren't already in the Miami deal. Jose Martinez is an OF option too that might be expendable. :(

Edited by brockpapersizer

10 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I think Ozuna, Fowler, and Pham are starting just about every day with Grichuk as the 4th.  They also have Harrison Bader who debuted last year and Tyler O'neil who is MLB ready. 

I'd expect at least one of Grichuk, Bader, or O'neill to be on the move if they aren't already in the Miami deal. Jose Martinez is an OF option too that might be expendable. :(

Not sure that's a guarantee with Matheny. He has proven to be anti - Pham in the past. Something to monitor if no more moves are made, but still early to say there won't be any.

3 minutes ago, Sidearmer said:

Not sure that's a guarantee with Matheny. He has proven to be anti - Pham in the past. Something to monitor if no more moves are made, but still early to say there won't be any.

If people think that, there's profit to be had. Tommy Pham was the best CF in baseball last year by WAR. 

Only thing that will make Pham a non starter is injury/vision.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

If people think that, there's profit to be had. Tommy Pham was the best CF in baseball last year by WAR. 

Maybe. Pham definitely still has a few quad-A qualities that I do wonder how pitchers adjust to Pham. His overall data was superb last year so I definitely buy into what he can possibly be, but I do wonder about him with both quality breaking balls and quality heat. 

5 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I agree with you on Pham. I love him as a player. I don't love his manager who held him back last year. He wasn't even a full time starter until mid May. Hopefully he has learned by now.

2 minutes ago, Sidearmer said:

I agree with you on Pham. I love him as a player. I don't love his manager who held him back last year. He wasn't even a full time starter until mid May. Hopefully he has learned by now.

Sometimes managers are dumb, we saw this with Collins and Conforto. Eventually they don't have a choice and I think Pham is at that point. He was the Cardinals best player last year. Hed need quite the slump to start being sat.

Minnesota signs Michael Pineda to two year deal.

Meanwhile, the rumor mill:  Toronto has now shown some interest in Carlos Gomez.  Yesterday's blurb said they were very interested in Jay Bruce.  Because that is how Toronto "rebuilds," haha.  (Bitter Tesocar Hernandez owner seeing the Jays trying to block someone who could be a major everyday player for them down the years). 

But seriously they should just move Donaldson now while he has the most value for them and get those crucial building blocks back from the other team.  Hell, my Sox aren't going to beat the Yankees this season in the AL East let alone Toronto.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Minnesota signs Michael Pineda to two year deal.

Meanwhile, the rumor mill:  Toronto has now shown some interest in Carlos Gomez.  Yesterday's blurb said they were very interested in Jay Bruce.  Because that is how Toronto "rebuilds," haha.  (Bitter Tesocar Hernandez owner seeing the Jays trying to block someone who could be a major everyday player for them down the years). 

But seriously they should just move Donaldson now while he has the most value for them and get those crucial building blocks back from the other team.  Hell, my Sox aren't going to beat the Yankees this season in the AL East let alone Toronto.

Didn't even know Pineda was FA.

Gomez isn't a bad idea, but Bruce is. I mean, if they get Gomez and have him platoon a bit, I could dig it... But yeah, would rather Hernendez get going.

And yes move JD. Its gotta be done.

How hilarious would it be if the Marlins tried to sign JDM for 300 millions now? :D

1 minute ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

Didn't even know Pineda was FA.

Gomez isn't a bad idea, but Bruce is. I mean, if they get Gomez and have him platoon a bit, I could dig it... But yeah, would rather Hernendez get going.

And yes move JD. Its gotta be done.

How hilarious would it be if the Marlins tried to sign JDM for 300 millions now? :D

i believe pindea is like smyly tho, out for most of 2018 due to TJ recovery.

• Like 2