NBC Sports Edge Forums

2017-2018 Off-season and Hot Stove Thread

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Minnesota signs Michael Pineda to two year deal.

Meanwhile, the rumor mill:  Toronto has now shown some interest in Carlos Gomez.  Yesterday's blurb said they were very interested in Jay Bruce.  Because that is how Toronto "rebuilds," haha.  (Bitter Tesocar Hernandez owner seeing the Jays trying to block someone who could be a major everyday player for them down the years). 

But seriously they should just move Donaldson now while he has the most value for them and get those crucial building blocks back from the other team.  Hell, my Sox aren't going to beat the Yankees this season in the AL East let alone Toronto.

I live in Toronto they always say  they are "in" on bigger names  to appease the  fans and media and  then go out and sign a guy like Pearce,Shapiro just wants to start the rebuild its just talk

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

JT Realmuto right now  

This doesn't belong here but had no idea where else to put it so people will see it. Tonight (1/30) starting at 7:00pm CST MLB.TV will run a documentary on Tony Gwynn. Should be worth watching as he w

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, osb_tensor said:

i believe pindea is like smyly tho, out for most of 2018 due to TJ recovery.

I guess these guys could start a new trend in baseball.  The new "Tommy John Prospect Squirrel-Away Plan" category.

Blurb said it was a two-year, 10 million dollar deal.  If that is 10 million for the whole two years that is a good gamble for the Twins.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
1 minute ago, azeri98 said:

If Alacantara is the main piece, the Marlins  got shortchanged the White Sox got more for Eaton who isn't as good as Ozuna, maybe 1 more year of control but still its a fleece

I think they said there were 3 players involved but only Alcantara's name has leaked so far.

Either that or there is so much going on I crossed wires somewhere.

But Miami just cut Edison Volquez to make room on their 40 man roster so maybe someone is a major leaguer in the deal.

24 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

If Alacantara is the main piece, the Marlins  got shortchanged the White Sox got more for Eaton who isn't as good as Ozuna, maybe 1 more year of control but still its a fleece

eh, Ozuna is clearly a better HITTER than Eaton, but Eaton's value goes beyond hitting. He's an incredible defender with excellent on-base/baserunning skills. As a fantasy analysis I'd obviously prefer Ozuna, but in real baseball those two are quite closer. Eaton's WAR in 2016 of 6.2 alone is quite considerable, and thats the season they were selling him off of. 

• Like 2

It's still not official. May be due to another team jumping in at the last minute or the two squads may still be haggling. 

As miserable as Ian was last year, he's an improvement over what the Angels have been rolling out, even if there's no dead cat bounce. 

3 hours ago, taobball said:

eh, Ozuna is clearly a better HITTER than Eaton, but Eaton's value goes beyond hitting. He's an incredible defender with excellent on-base/baserunning skills. As a fantasy analysis I'd obviously prefer Ozuna, but in real baseball those two are quite closer. Eaton's WAR in 2016 of 6.2 alone is quite considerable, and thats the season they were selling him off of. 

Plus Eaton was a better value in the short-term. His 2017 salary was $4 million and 2018 will be $6 million and Ozuna's estimated arbitration number is around $11 million. 

3 hours ago, taobball said:

Eaton in 2016 batted 284, 14 HR;s 14 SB's scored 91 runs and had 54 RBI for an OF that pretty average most of his WAR of 6.2 probably came of his defense and base running, i'm all in on the WAR figure when it comes to offence but when it comes to defence and base running i think its pretty flawed, I don't put much stock into it, that being said Ozuna really had a break out season with the bat, much better than anything he has done before, he moved closer to the plate and was able to hit the outside pitch more effectively, going forward i think i would much rather have him. I just looked it up actually EAton's offensive WAR was 4.2, i don't know how they got that figure, but they also have Eaton at a negative WAR defensively in 2013, 2015. and 2017, i agree with the eye test he is good but according to the WAR stat he isn't good defensively, I don't know i think its flawed

Edited by azeri98
add
  • Like 1
23 minutes ago, motown magic said:

Kinsler deal isn't done yet is it ? 

I also heard the prospects to the tigs aren't anything special . Think he still had two years so they will drop s bunch of money . 

There will be more venders in the stands at Comerica for the next few years 

Done deal Kinsler is an Angel

18 minutes ago, ryno1980 said:

Plus Eaton was a better value in the short-term. His 2017 salary was $4 million and 2018 will be $6 million and Ozuna's estimated arbitration number is around $11 million. 

I think i would rather have Ozuna at 11 million than Eaton at 6

4 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

Eaton in 2016 batted 284, 14 HR;s 14 SB's scored 91 runs and had 54 RBI for an OF that pretty average most of his WAR of 6.2 probably came of his defense and base running, i'm all in on the WAR figure when it comes to offence but when it comes to defence and base running i think its pretty flawed, I don't put much stock into it, that being said Ozuna really had a break out season with the bat, much better than anything he has done before, he moved closer to the plate and was able to hit the outside pitch more effectively, going forward i think i would much rather have him

I literally said not as a fantasy player and you quoted me back his 5x5 Fantasy Line. You realize the flaw in this right? 

And of course WAR isn't a perfect stat. I'm not trying to suggest it is. But it's not about what figure you're using-- you can put it any way you want. Ozuna is a decent defender. But at Corner OF-- specifically when he was in RF-- Eaton was a Gold Glove caliber fielder and one of the best in baseball. He's also a player that you'd be much more comfortable with playing CF, whereas Ozuna was moved OFF of CF, Eaton was moved BACK to CF by his new team. He has a much much higher defensive value. 

Eaton also is a consistent walker and, again, using WAR or not, has better baserunning skills. Ozuna's BB% did jump this past year but I don't know how much of that we can fully buy into yet. 

And again, I'm not saying that I wouldn't rather have Ozuna in a vacuum. I'm not making an argument for who's better. I said "closer/pretty close." Eaton's a very very good ball player. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, taobball said:

I literally said not as a fantasy player and you quoted me back his 5x5 Fantasy Line. You realize the flaw in this right? 

And of course WAR isn't a perfect stat. I'm not trying to suggest it is. But it's not about what figure you're using-- you can put it any way you want. Ozuna is a decent defender. But at Corner OF-- specifically when he was in RF-- Eaton was a Gold Glove caliber fielder and one of the best in baseball. He's also a player that you'd be much more comfortable with playing CF, whereas Ozuna was moved OFF of CF, Eaton was moved BACK to CF by his new team. He has a much much higher defensive value. 

Eaton also is a consistent walker and, again, using WAR or not, has better baserunning skills. Ozuna's BB% did jump this past year but I don't know how much of that we can fully buy into yet. 

And again, I'm not saying that I wouldn't rather have Ozuna in a vacuum. I'm not making an argument for who's better. I said "closer/pretty close." Eaton's a very very good ball player. 

Sorry i added to the post and you replied before i entered it, if Eaton is a very good defensive why is his 2013, 2015 and 2017 WAR figure negative, i agree with the eye test he looks good to me just like Hosmer does but the defensive metrics don't like either of them, Ozuna's defensive WAR matches or is slightly better than Eaton's. go figure, i agree Eaton is better base runner, i'm not dumping on Eaton i just think Ozuna has broken out whereas Eaton has pretty well been the same guy, Now can Ozuna repeat his 2017 is the big question.

11 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

Sorry i added to the post and you replied before i entered it, if Eaton is a very good defensive why is his 2013, 2015 and 2017 WAR figure negative, i agree with the eye test he looks good to me just like Hosmer does but the defensive metrics don't like either of them, Ozuna's defensive WAR matches or is slightly better than Eaton's. go figure, i agree Eaton is better base runner, i'm not dumping on Eaton i just think Ozuna has broken out whereas Eaton has pretty well been the same guy, Now can Ozuna repeat his 2017 is the big question.

Because there's a difference between playing center field and right field. Compare eatons defense in center by those metrics to someone like Trout over the last few years. If you play Eaton in a corner like they're most likely planning on playing Ozuna to my knowledge his defense is truly elite

5 minutes ago, taobball said:

Because there's a difference between playing center field and right field. Compare eatons defense in center by those metrics to someone like Trout over the last few years. If you play Eaton in a corner like they're most likely planning on playing Ozuna to my knowledge his defense is truly elite

Eaton played right field 75 percent of his games when he had the great defensive metrics in Chicago. I don't think he's proven to be a great center fielder.

38 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

I think i would rather have Ozuna at 11 million than Eaton at 6

For sure, they didn't get enough in return but they also have no leverage because everyone knows they need to get their payroll down quickly.

1 minute ago, ryno1980 said:

Eaton played right field 75 percent of his games when he had the great defensive metrics in Chicago. I don't think he's proven to be a great center fielder.

He's  never had great defensive metrics if you look at his page on baseball reference 3 of years he's played it was negative

2 minutes ago, ryno1980 said:

That wasn't my point. My point was that the reason he had great metrics only one year was BECAUSE he played corner. Being an average/acceptable CFer and an ELITE corner OFer is what Eaton brings defensively. If you stick Ozuna at corner like most teams will he's good, but he isn't elite. 

4 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

He's  never had great defensive metrics if you look at his page on baseball reference 3 of years he's played it was negative

I don't know exactly which metrics you're looking at but I'll say this off the cuff: 

check and see how many CFers actually were positive. CF is one of the most if not the most premium position in the field. I think there were twelve CFers in Fangraphs def who got positive scores. If you're a "0" in CF, you're actually a really solid CFer the way most of those metrics work. 

• Like 1

As an Orioles fan it pains me to say this but it's time we blow everything up and start from scratch. Manny Macahdo is one of my all time favorite players but with the Yankees being the Yankees we have little to no chance of competing. Trading Manny Machado is something we must do

• Like 2