NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2017-2018 Off-season and Hot Stove Thread

2ndCitySox

Not  much fantasy impact for 2018, but my Phillies just moved Freddie Galvis to San Diego for Enyel de los Santos, which is a lot more value than I was expecting to get back.  Still just 22 years old, but he seems to have three useful pitches and put up decent numbers in AA last year.  With a whole bunch of JAGs filling out the Phillies rotation right now, he seems like a kid who could get a look later in the season if he continues to progress.  Solid move by Matt Klentak.

...so I praise Klentak and he goes and does this?

Phillies Agree To Terms With Carlos Santana

I mean...  I love what Santa (lol I have to keep that typo in) Santana brings, but why would you add to the logjam on offense by pushing Hoskins to the OF?  Baffling.

Edited by tonycpsu
Santa -> Santana
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, tonycpsu said:

...so I praise Klentak and he goes and does this?

Phillies Agree To Terms With Carlos Santana

I mean...  I love what Santa brings, but why would you add to the logjam on offense by pushing Hoskins to the OF?  Baffling.

Another move has to be coming?  That OF is crowded.  And do they still have Joseph?

1 minute ago, mjk356 said:

They'll probably move either Williams or Altherr I would think.  Hoskins, Santana, and Herrera are going to need everyday ABs, so you have to move one of those two.

Franco, Williams, and a SP prospect enough to get it done for Machado?  

1 minute ago, svdude said:

Franco, Williams, and a SP prospect enough to get it done for Machado?  

If the SP prospect is Sixto Sanchez then I would think so, but that only makes sense from the Philly side if they can negotiate an extension, and everyone thinks Manny wants to test free agency.

Source: Cozart deal with #Angels is for three years, $38M. LAA just announced signing.

Cozart will play third base for #Angels. Reported their interest yesterday. This ends any chance of them signing free agent Mike Moustakas.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

Halos absolutely crushing it this offseason.  Wow.

Will see if it translates to 2018 success.  Lots of teams win off-season's and it doesn't seem to matter in-season.  With that said, I really like what they are doing (hard to say as a Giants fan that had his heart torn out by the Angels and the rally monkey).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Weekday Warrior said:

If the Phillies don’t make another move virtually all their hitters are going to lose draft day fantasy value due to the roster crunch, it’s always riskier betting on a young player who has to compete for ABs...

The lineup has better protection and more balance. Its going to help everyone's numbers. 

And i think there is another move in the works.

So who plays 1b for the Indians?  Edwing can but i would say no more than 3 times a week due to risk of injury and to keep him fresh for the whole year, and the Phillies shipping off Galvis opens the door for Crawford full time. With the Angels signing Cosart where does Moose go? San Fran or back to the Royals maybe? It seems like teams are making a conscious effort to not shell out for the big bats unless they really have to and holding on signing the bigger name players to lower the value

Edited by azeri98
add

37 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

So who plays 1b for the Indians?  Edwing can but i would say no more than 3 times a week due to risk of injury and to keep him fresh for the whole year, and the Phillies shipping off Galvis opens the door for Crawford full time. With the Angels signing Cosart where does Moose go? San Fran or back to the Royals maybe? It seems like teams are making a conscious effort to not shell out for the big bats unless they really have to and holding on signing the bigger name players to lower the value

I heard rumors that they liked JoRam at 2B and could be shopping Kipnis but instead I think the alternative to the 1B issue is to keep JoRam at 3rd and use whoever else they sometimes use at 3B (Chisenhall, Diaz) as a first baseman. MLBTR mentions they may have interest in Napoli or Reynolds or even Duda if (and no longer an If) they did not retain Santana. They do specifically mention Yandy Diaz.

Also Bobby Bradley probably isn't MLB ready but they could see him as the future at the position, so one of those stop-gaps like a Napoli who was on the team not long ago could be a good fit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, azeri98 said:

I remember reading that Logan Morrisson was a backup plan they could pursue but they were waiting to see what Santana was going to do.  Although before last year Morrisson was known as a slow starter, could be a rough first couple months of the season if he is paired up with E5.

IMO Santana to Phillies is a terrible signing for the team, I don't get what they are thinking. They are supposed to be rebuilding but go sign (over pay) a 1B in his early 30s for a ridiculous $20 MM per year when they got a great young 1B in Hoskins, who instead they will force to play OF.

Stupid move for them.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1