2017-2018 Off-season and Hot Stove Thread

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

JT Realmuto right now  

This doesn't belong here but had no idea where else to put it so people will see it. Tonight (1/30) starting at 7:00pm CST MLB.TV will run a documentary on Tony Gwynn. Should be worth watching as he w

Posted Images

Nothing decided about JD Martinez yet but Rotoworld mentions this in a blurb:

Jason Mastrodonato of the Boston Herald reports the Red Sox are waiting for free agent outfielder J.D. Martinez to decide on his future before they commit resources to filling other team needs.

The Red Sox feel they are the front-runner to sign Martinez, who is likely to drain their budget if he does choose Boston as his destination. Martinez is rumored to be looking for a $200 million contract. If the Red Sox don't snare Martinez they will have a lot of cash to spend on other roster holes. Mastrodonato speculates they will move to bolster their bullpen, even though it is already one of the best in the league. Craig Kimbrel is the closer, followed on the depth chart by Carson Smith, Joe Kelly and Matt Barnes. Tyler Thornburg is recovering from thoracic outlet surgery and his return is questionable. The Red Sox lost setup man Addison Reed to free agency. Greg Holland, Tony Watson and Reed are the best relievers left on the free agent market.

Source: Boston Herald
Dec 30 - 8:51 PM

I've also seen stuff where Scott Boras is using Boston's offer as leverage with the D-Backs to up their offer since Martinez liked his time this past season with Arizona so this could go on for awhile.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
40 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Nothing decided about JD Martinez yet but Rotoworld mentions this in a blurb:

I've also seen stuff where Scott Boras is using Boston's offer as leverage with the D-Backs to up their offer since Martinez liked his time this past season with Arizona so this could go on for awhile.

I think Boras is trying to get a 6th year from Boston. I think Boston's offer is 5 years 140-150 million. Have a hard time believing Arizona would come close to that number, probably offering a 4 yr deal. I think Boston gets the deal done.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, MrBrett said:

I think Boras is trying to get a 6th year from Boston. I think Boston's offer is 5 years 140-150 million. Have a hard time believing Arizona would come close to that number, probably offering a 4 yr deal. I think Boston gets the deal done.

I'm a JD owner and fan, I don't like Boras, but that is beside the point, he's doing his job, getting

as much as he can for JD. Boston might feel they are in a one horse race, no need to increase

there offer, might be a take it or leave it offer at this point. Boston has a plan B. Personally, I'd

love to see JD resign with AZ, probably not going to happen though.

• Like 2
On 12/27/2017 at 12:43 PM, Low and Away said:

Cubs looking to trade for Machado in a deal that would be good for both sides. Rumor is Cubs give up Almora, Russell, and Montgomery. Youth for rebuilding Blt and Cubs get stronger and open up spots for Baez and Happ.

On 12/27/2017 at 2:01 PM, The Big Bat Theory said:

Baltimore could do a lot better than that load of so-so, ho-hums.  Way too one sided towards the Cubs.  Russell especially has continued to disappoint with the bat these past years.  O's need back a young, top of the rotation guy at the very least to head the deal since their pitching is horrible and their farm has nothing in regards to arms.

Completely disagree that the O's can do a lot better than Russell+ Almora + Montgomery. Thats a huge haul for a year long rental, even if its Machado. Russell alone will provide way more surplus value than Machado will. The past year or two has shown us that teams are just not willing to over pay with young assets for rentals like they used to do 5+ years ago. 

If the Cubs are really offering that package the Orioles should take it.

Edited by cs3
  • Like 2
On 12/30/2017 at 11:38 PM, MrBrett said:

I think mlb GM's are too smart to give $30,000,000 per season to just a hitter, which jd.martinez is...regardless of the number of years in the offer.  (and please don't offer the guy an opt out, it is just beyond ridiculous)

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, unknownrotoguru said:

I think mlb GM's are too smart to give $30,000,000 per season to just a hitter, which jd.martinez is...regardless of the number of years in the offer.  (and please don't offer the guy an opt out, it is just beyond ridiculous)

I think opt outs, and no trades clauses are bad for baseball. 

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, unknownrotoguru said:

Depending on how many years the contract is for and how it's structured he might have a year or two at 30 mil per year. The average per year is more likely closer to 25 than 30 but with JD being the best BAT on the market and Boston's desire to compete this year with the Yanks and Boras doing the negotiation I wouldn't shocked if it's closer to 30.

• Like 1

Just saw two RW blurbs on Hosmer. First one says the Cards are very interested. Second one says the Padres made a 7 year offer. Boras sure is on his game. Looks like he's trying his best to bring the FA market back to life. I can't see how the Padres made a 7 year offer and it wasn't accepted. Either they didn't or it was a crappy 7 year offer. 

On 1/2/2018 at 2:13 PM, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

Just saw two RW blurbs on Hosmer. First one says the Cards are very interested. Second one says the Padres made a 7 year offer. Boras sure is on his game. Looks like he's trying his best to bring the FA market back to life. I can't see how the Padres made a 7 year offer and it wasn't accepted. Either they didn't or it was a crappy 7 year offer. 

7 years for hosmer ?!

GM's just never learn...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 years, 147 mil from the Royals and 7 years, 140 mil from the Pads. Looks like he's hoping to get an offer from the Cards.. I love Hosmer, I think he's a great ballplayer on a good team. But I don't think he's a cornerstone guy. He should be jumping at those offers before they're pulled. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

7 years, 147 mil from the Royals and 7 years, 140 mil from the Pads. Looks like he's hoping to get an offer from the Cards.. I love Hosmer, I think he's a great ballplayer on a good team. But I don't think he's a cornerstone guy. He should be jumping at those offers before they're pulled. 

I agree.  $140M + for a good, not great ball player is bananas.

15 hours ago, unknownrotoguru said:

7 years for hosmer ?!

GM's just never learn...

mlbtraderumors.com stated that hosmer (boras) was holding out for a 8-9 year deal... Good grief!

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

He's the best free agent 1b left, although with the competition, that's like being the fastest sumo. 

Trades might be better options for the teams remaining seeking 1b help. Hosmer is a steady reasonable producer, but as stated easier, this type of deal is one you make with a keystone piece for a championship.

Edited by 2ndCitySox
  • Like 1

No wonder the Red Sox backed away from him early on.  Holding out for 8 to 9 years while already having a seven year offer -- well actually two now -- on the table is insane for anyone let alone someone at Hosmer's talent level.  I like Hosmer a lot but not anywhere near that much. 

And I am surprised that San Diego, after apparently learning their lesson from their mega-contracts a couple of years back, are right back at it again.

I mean rumors are JD Martinez is looking for 6 years (well Boras is anyway) and that is too long a contract for someone who has way more power than Hosmer has in his bat.  I'd like my Sox to get JD but hopefully they won't budge from the 5 year offer which is bad enough of a gamble.

I think any team that signs a player  thats 31-32 for 5-6-7 years deserves what they get in 2-3 years. At least Hosmer will still be able to contribute both in the field and offensively . Especially when they sign in the AL . Won't be able to hide that 35-36 year old in the DH spot when they play NL games. A team may win the battle but will lose the war. The Yankees paid Arod something like 23 - 24 million to be an instructor at spring training his final contract  year ? If the Tigers had signed Juan Gonzales to that crazy 150 million contract several years ago they would have just finished paying him off 2-3 years ago just like they did with Sheffield and Damion Easily . They owed them a million a year long after retirement.

Cardinal fans were up in arms when the Cardinals would NOT bring back Albert Pujols . Didn't take them long to forgive the FO did it ?

I don't feel bad for any team that gets strapped with a big contract.

On 10/23/2017 at 6:10 AM, EmbargoLifted said:

Hosmer is projected to be a 2.5 win player next year .. A single win above replacement is worth ~$8M in fair market value these days

Given Hosmer's combination of youth, durability, etc. I can see a team paying him something in the neighborhood of 6 to 7 years $160M 

will be interesting if any other teams one up hosmers 7/$150M before he signs

Edited by EmbargoLifted
22 minutes ago, unknownrotoguru said:

The problem for me, when evaluating a 7 or more year commitment to hosmer, is the position...1b.  Sign duda, morrison, or any other number of rbi guy who has a passable walk rate.  Then spend the money on pitching.

i was going to mention that i would prefer to sign duda for a lot less.... but he's so bad against lefties and he's been hurt quite a bit. i can't decide if i'd rather have a steady everyday player who costs a lot, or a guy who's crappy against 30% (i'm guessing) of pitchers he'll face, assuming he stays healthy. it's an interesting risk-vs-reward decision. 

31 minutes ago, unknownrotoguru said:

The problem for me, when evaluating a 7 or more year commitment to hosmer, is the position...1b.  Sign duda, morrison, or any other number of rbi guy who has a passable walk rate.  Then spend the money on pitching.

I agree with this, but that's a different argument. Signing Hosmer to seven isn't really that bad a move.