NBC Sports Edge Forums

2017-2018 Off-season and Hot Stove Thread

4 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

Albers to the Brewers!  That's huge news... for the concession vendors.  Boom, roasted!

3 hours ago, DidiFan said:

An excellent deal dollar per pound but not quite as good as The Captain's haul of Jumbo Diaz earlier this winter. 

Klements no longer selling brats at Miller Park. lost sponsorship of sausage race.

Miller Park better increase the purchase order with Johnsonville.  Klements is really bummed now! 

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/local/milwaukee/2018/01/23/klements-out-sponsor-racing-sausages/1058288001/

Edited by Members_Only_76
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

JT Realmuto right now  

This doesn't belong here but had no idea where else to put it so people will see it. Tonight (1/30) starting at 7:00pm CST MLB.TV will run a documentary on Tony Gwynn. Should be worth watching as he w

Posted Images

Oakland trades for Brandon Moss!

Jesse Hahn to Kc.

Moss was a byproduct of the trade but it's funny to see him coming back. Their real target was Ryan Buchter. Gives them a second lefty in the bullpen. He's had good results and can be controlled through 2021. His peripherals aren't as favorable, but Oakland reportedly offered Duensing 3 million more than Chicago, but he went with the Cubs anyhow. They needed another lefty and unless they're landing Watson this was a pretty smart move on the cheap. 

Edited by AnonymousRob
  • Like 1
59 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Oakland trades for Brandon Moss!

Jesse Hahn to Kc.

Moss was a byproduct of the trade but it's funny to see him coming back. Their real target was Ryan Buchter. Gives them a second lefty in the bullpen. He's had good results and can be controlled through 2021. His peripherals aren't as favorable, but Oakland reportedly offered Duensing 3 million more than Chicago, but he went with the Cubs anyhow. They needed another lefty and unless they're landing Watson this was a pretty smart move on the cheap. 

Gee I wonder why, hah.  "Hmmm, go with a contender and maybe get a ring or go to Oakland and... uh ... hey Mr Agent tell the Cubs I'm in."

I think KC got a good deal since Hahn still has some upside if a good pitching coach can work with him.  Of course I don't know if KC's pitching coach is any good.

This doesn't belong here but had no idea where else to put it so people will see it. Tonight (1/30) starting at 7:00pm CST MLB.TV will run a documentary on Tony Gwynn. Should be worth watching as he was a remarkable person and player.

In another thread, it was posted a player already had more strikeouts than Gwynn did his entire career. Between Smoltz, Glavine, and Maddux they struck out Gwynn 4 times in all the times they faced him. Smoltz said it got to the point he just decided to throw fastballs down the middle and hope Gwynn would get himself out as he was wasting pitches trying to get him out. The above is a paraphrase from a Smoltz interview

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Well we know now why Yu didn't decide last week:

According to Andy McCullough of the Los Angeles Times, Yu Darvish "has made clear he would like to return to the Dodgers."

McCullough says "part of the delay in his free agency is related to waiting to see if the [Dodgers] can move some of the money" that might allow them to re-sign Darvish and still remain under the luxury tax threshold for 2018. That could be a tall task, but McCullough adds that "extraneous assets such as Yasmani Grandal, Logan Forsythe and Hyun-Jin Ryu" have all been shopped in recent weeks. Darvish is also known to be drawing free agent interest from the Twins, Cubs, Brewers, Yankees, and Rangers. The waiting game continues.

Jan 30 - 4:13 PM

I know the Dodgers are also trying hard to trade Matt Kemp away.  If Yu has to wait for that trade plus Forsythe etc he will have a lot of time to sit back and hear crickets chirping as the COLD Stove League winds it's way along this season. 

And I still don't get why Hosmer hasn't signed.  Two big, SEVEN year contracts to choose from?  What is wrong with him?  Does he really think someone is going to offer him eight years at this point?  Yeah Boras is probably thinking he can get KC and SD into a bidding war over Hosmer.  But that ain't happening.  Both teams stretched themselves to the max with their offers.

If it wasn't for the Marlins' fire sale we'd have the signing of Lorenzo Cain being the top story so far this winter, yawn.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Low and Away said:

Betts win in arbitration and is awarded 10.5m giving him close to a 10m increase. 

Good for Mookie.  The way the Red Sox low balled him 3 mil under that they are setting up another Jon Lester scenario where the player feels disrespected and walks the first chance they get.  Of course given Mookie has Boras as his agent he would probably walk anyway when he reaches free agency.  No way he would sign an extension.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Well we know now why Yu didn't decide last week:

I know the Dodgers are also trying hard to trade Matt Kemp away.  If Yu has to wait for that trade plus Forsythe etc he will have a lot of time to sit back and hear crickets chirping as the COLD Stove League winds it's way along this season. 

And I still don't get why Hosmer hasn't signed.  Two big, SEVEN year contracts to choose from?  What is wrong with him?  Does he really think someone is going to offer him eight years at this point?  Yeah Boras is probably thinking he can get KC and SD into a bidding war over Hosmer.  But that ain't happening.  Both teams stretched themselves to the max with their offers.

If it wasn't for the Marlins' fire sale we'd have the signing of Lorenzo Cain being the top story so far this winter, yawn.

Morosi is reporting Hosmer is pushing for longer than 7 years, these guys are delusional, the market is cold, he has 2 7 year offers on the table from small market teams and he pushing for more, i hope 1 team pulls their offer and then the other low balls him.

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

Wonder how that 10m increase effects how the Red Sox view JD. It all adds up when looking at the luxury tax rate both this year and years to come. 

True but the Sox should have known their figure was way low to start with.  Maybe if they offered 9.5 instead of 7.5 they would have more spare change in their pocket today.  And I think they knew they were low-balling him from the beginning so their offer to JD should have taken all this into account ... you would think, heh heh.

Both the Pedroia and Price contracts are horrible and as a Sox fan I can but hope Price does the stupid thing for him financially and takes his opt out at the end of this season because he hates playing in Boston otherwise he will be a drain on the team for years to come.  And they are still paying off part of the Panda contract and Rusney Castillo too who still hangs out in Pawtucket during the summer.  At least Rusney was removed from the 40 man roster so that his contract doesn't count against the luxury tax.

And motown magic, he may be a Dodger in the future but the Yankee outfield is already pretty crowded and they want Harper next year.  And Machado.  And they have luxury tax issues too.  So do the Dodgers actually.  The Phils have lots of money saved to spend.  Maybe there instead because is it two years Mookie has left or three?  I thought two but could be wrong.  Anyway by then the Phily rebuild should be ready for a superstar to cap off their contender.  Or maybe a rebuilt Atlanta, that is close to his home roots in South Carolina.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory