NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2017-2018 Off-season and Hot Stove Thread

2ndCitySox

HUGE signing for the Pirates:

Pirates signed OF/1B Daniel Nava to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.

Nava had a strong season in limited playing time with the Phillies last year, hitting .301/.393/.421 in 80 games. He'll turn 35 on February 22, and has a career .737 OPS in his seven big-league seasons. Assuming he makes the team, he'll serve as a pinch-hitting option off the bench for the Pirates, and he could get the occasional start against right-handed pitching.

Feb 6 - 3:16 PM
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, jb_power said:

HUGE signing for the Pirates:

Pirates signed OF/1B Daniel Nava to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.

Nava had a strong season in limited playing time with the Phillies last year, hitting .301/.393/.421 in 80 games. He'll turn 35 on February 22, and has a career .737 OPS in his seven big-league seasons. Assuming he makes the team, he'll serve as a pinch-hitting option off the bench for the Pirates, and he could get the occasional start against right-handed pitching.

Feb 6 - 3:16 PM

That should be the move that opens up the flood gates. Get ready

• Like 1

Oh to Texas.  Whoever is the Rangers' closer to start the season may have a short lease if Oh rebounds from last year and returns to form.:

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the Rangers are in agreement to sign free agent reliever Seung Hwan Oh.

Robert Murphy of FanRag Sports says Oh's deal will pay him $2.75 million in 2018, with a $4.5 million club option for 2019 that includes a $100,000 buyout and performance bonuses that can earn him another million in both years. The 35-year-old right-hander spent the last two years with St. Louis, earning 39 saves and registering an ERA of 2.85 in 138 total appearances for the Cardinals. He was much more effective in 2016 with a 1.92 ERA and 103 strikeouts in just under 80 innings, and the Rangers are likely betting on him returning to that form in 2018. He should be given a chance at a high-leverage role, and could end up earning the closer job before the end of the season.

Meanwhile the biggest off season news around these parts happened yesterday as the traditionally large crowd gathered to watch the load out and cheer the departure of the five large team equipment semis leaving Fenway Park for Naples, Florida carrying, among other things, 1,100 bats and 20,000 baseballs according to the news reporters covering the event.  Alas no exact inventory was given out of how much bubble gum or sunflower seeds was loaded though one reporter estimated it could run into the zillions, heh.

And yes that is a traditional gathering and big "event" each year here.   Lots of people clad in Red Sox gear pulled on over coats and jackets literally around stand for hours in below freezing single digit weather watching guys load out the equipment and cheering them on.  Why?  Gotta say simply "east coast baseball" and the promise of spring on the horizon.  Equipment trucks trump ground hogs in Boston.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1

Should have said above they were off to Fort Myers, not Naples.  I always get those two towns crossed up.

Meanwhile, the delusion runs deep in this one:

According to Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic, free agent J.D. Martinez "is telling people that he is fed up with the Red Sox's inflexibility and would rather sign with another club."

Rosenthal notes that this might be a case of "posturing" on the part of Martinez and his agent Scott Boras, who have both become increasingly frustrated by the lack of action and high-dollar offers on the open market this winter. Boston is still believed to have made the most lucrative proposal to Martinez at five years, $125 million. The 30-year-old slugger began the offseason looking for something closer to seven years, $200 million after tallying 45 homers and 104 RBI in just 119 games last summer between the Tigers and Diamondbacks.

You don't go more than 5 years for JD at his age and a lot of people think 4 should have been the cut off point with the Sox offer.  He isn't going to get a better offer than 5 years / 125 mil and if he turns it down the Sox may well have dodged a bullet.  There is no way they are going to out slug the Yankees this year even with JD.  Go after extended Pomeranz now who seems more than opening to such an offer and getting Nunez and maybe consider going after Moose on a cheaper contract and using him at 1B maybe.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Martinez is "fed up" with the Red Sox. Get over yourself, J.D.

Wahhhhhh.  I'm taking my marbles and going home.  5 years at $125 million seems like fair market for a 31 year old that's had trouble staying healthy.  I really don't get the 7 year $200 million demand at all.  If I were the Red Sox, I would be 'fed up' too.

4 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Should have said above they were off to Fort Myers, not Naples.  I always get those two towns crossed up.

You don't go more than 5 years for JD at his age and a lot of people think 4 should have been the cut off point with the Sox offer.  He isn't going to get a better offer than 5 years / 125 mil and if he turns it down the Sox may well have dodged a bullet.  There is no way they are going to out slug the Yankees this year even with JD.  Go after extended Pomeranz now who seems more than opening to such an offer and getting Nunez and maybe consider going after Moose on a cheaper contract and using him at 1B maybe.

Boy, I'm no Red Sox fan, but you have to feel good for them here. JD and Boras are just making themselves look bad. I have a feeling in two years (maybe even sooner) the Red Sox are going to be quite pleased with this outcome. 

• Like 2

Boston should pull their offer.   They don't NEED JD Martinez.  I love how "inflexibility" is used instead of "won't give me more money/years that I want".  If you really think you'll earn those last couple years, than become a free agent then and get it.  I don't start a FA replationship with hurt fee-fee's from the player.  Go somewhere else baby. 

Edited by Baseball Jonze
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BigPapi44 said:

Wahhhhhh.  I'm taking my marbles and going home.  5 years at $125 million seems like fair market for a 31 year old that's had trouble staying healthy.  I really don't get the 7 year $200 million demand at all.  If I were the Red Sox, I would be 'fed up' too.

I've been a Martinez supporter this offseason (how the injury risk probably isn't what it appears, how I think he's worth a 5 year deal, etc. etc.) but even I agree with this. I said 6/150 I can see. 5/125 is pretty much the same. But he's only 30, and doesn't turn 31 until a majority of the 2018 season is over. 

10 minutes ago, Baseball Jonze said:

Boston should pull their offer.   They don't NEED JD Martinez.  I love how "inflexibility" is used instead of "won't give me more money/years that I want".  If you really think you'll earn those last couple years, than become a free agent then and get it.  I don't start a FA replationship with hurt fee-fee's from the player.  Go somewhere else baby. 

I agree with this. I have never understood the players argument when it comes down to this. If you think you'll be worth that contract then, play out the best offer you have and reap the rewards then. If he's lucky, there won't be any kind of attachment to money or picks when he's a free agent again, so he won't be in the pickle we've seen some recent FA's in. 

I do think Boston should walk away at this point, go after Moose and Nunez, keep JBJ in center. Or, forget Moose, sign LoMO on a short contract and see if he's for real. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

These guys need a reality check, since every team uses analytics now, they know these long term deals for guys over 30 just don't work out.

• Like 1

I think the entire system needs an overhaul. If a young player comes up and starts producing like a star immediately he shouldn't have to make peanuts relative to what others are being paid. Teams also shouldn't have to pay aging players for past performance either but right now it seems like the owners and teams have all of the leverage.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, unknownrotoguru said:

I'm not from Boston so I don't know their general disposition but lets say jdm does sign with the sox, how are the fans going to treat him?  I read the fans were pretty hard on david price this season, would jdm get a similar greeting?

If he hit, all would be forgotten. If he didn't, it would get ugly.

• Like 2

The other factor playing in to this market is that short term contracts (2-3 years) which would otherwise make financial sense for a club (i.e. not losing a prospect in the case of Moose) are not being considered by teams that don't think they can get to 90 win seasons for a few years.  The players union needs to address this somehow.

16 minutes ago, Magoo said:

The other factor playing in to this market is that short term contracts (2-3 years) which would otherwise make financial sense for a club (i.e. not losing a prospect in the case of Moose) are not being considered by teams that don't think they can get to 90 win seasons for a few years.  The players union needs to address this somehow.

They introduced a cap with the luxury tax penalties, without putting any kind of floor.  It was such a bad thing to agree to.  It seems to have cut off the teams that want to spend money like the Yankees, Boston, SF, LA because they want to reset those tax penalties before next season's larger free agent class.

It was stupid.  Now those teams won't spend, and they are generally the teams that set the market on the big free agents and you have the smaller organizations that are reluctant to spend anything and don't think they are in contention anyway.  You likely also have players that don't want to play with the teams that they don't think are really in contention, but can't get the contenders to spend the money on them like they would want.  I'm thinking Hosmer, JDM and Arrietta fall in that category.  

So the first step by the players union should be to get rid of that tax hit to clubs and if they can't do that, they need to force the low end of the market to have a floor, forcing them to spend some money.  All these teams doing fire sales like the Marlins and the Pirates are just as bad for baseball as allowing the Goliaths of the market buy up all the bigger free agents.  There needs to be some happy medium and they can't seem to find it.  The luxury tax idea was supposed to be working toward that medium as it penalized the big spenders, but it has backfired spectacularly on the players.

Edited by The Czar
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, unknownrotoguru said:

I'm not from Boston so I don't know their general disposition but lets say jdm does sign with the sox, how are the fans going to treat him?  I read the fans were pretty hard on david price this season, would jdm get a similar greeting?

2 hours ago, fletch44 said:

If he hit, all would be forgotten. If he didn't, it would get ugly.

Yep though I should add that he needs to stop whining.  Take the money, shut up and play ball and all is good.  Tear into a Boston favorite like Eck for no reason at all and act like an a-hole afterwards then whine about same and you are in the deep doo-doo.  Price will have to perform well this season and shut up to re-set here.  JD can start off with a clean slate if he zips it right about now.

I’ve heard of professional athletes getting “fed up” with the team they already play for when negotiations over an extension or contract redo go bad, but this is a first.  

JD doesn’t even play for Boston yet and he is already acting like the organization owes him something!!!

Unreal.  I think it is time for both sides to walk away.

• Like 2