NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2017-2018 Off-season and Hot Stove Thread

2ndCitySox

Ok, couldn't edit in time. Listened to a daily baseball report on the way home and the host in reference to the slow off season gave the line  well...we're waiting from Caddyshack. Have to laugh at the current situation.

On 2/7/2018 at 9:38 AM, Marty Funkhouser said:

I think the entire system needs an overhaul. If a young player comes up and starts producing like a star immediately he shouldn't have to make peanuts relative to what others are being paid. Teams also shouldn't have to pay aging players for past performance either but right now it seems like the owners and teams have all of the leverage.

What happens to al the minor league players that never even reach the majors? Clubs have signed and paid them, paid for developing them, and so forth. Low salaries to start helps mitigate all costs associated with a player rising through the minors. Or should the player pay back those costs? I paid for my college degree, not the company I started working for. I started at what was considered the bottom of the company pay scale (for what my ability was) and received raises by performance or length of time worked.

26 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

What happens to al the minor league players that never even reach the majors? Clubs have signed and paid them, paid for developing them, and so forth. Low salaries to start helps mitigate all costs associated with a player rising through the minors. Or should the player pay back those costs? I paid for my college degree, not the company I started working for. I started at what was considered the bottom of the company pay scale (for what my ability was) and received raises by performance or length of time worked.

They do have a "unique skill" hence the MLB teams sign them to bonus and contracts.  Perhaps similiar to College scholarships.

Ha, Boras is doing damage control on JD’s “fed up with Boston” rumor and basically saying it is untrue.

Good for him to have the sense to realize that a client turning into that prima donna who perpetually feels disrespected by management is not a good look for a player who doesn’t even belong to the team yet.  Why fork over $120 million to someone who will just be disgruntled and resentful?

Hope he told JD to shut up and let him do his job at getting max possible cash return.

Edited by Weekday Warrior
  • Like 1

JD Martinez is really coming off looking bad here. Scott Boras can also complain all he wants about this offseason but it looks to like the players are the ones who caused this. The two biggest FAs out there each has huge offers just sitting there. They each feel they are worth more than what multiple teams are offering them. They are holding up the market. I'm sorry but 5 years and 120 million is overpaying for Martinez. 7 years and 140 million is a ridiculous deal for Hosmer. Then when you consider what the market could look like next season with Harper and Machado, these two guy are insane to not take these offers before they're pulled. If I were a GM, I'm waiting it out for next offseason. 

• Like 1

Any predictions on when the next significant signing will be, the player involved, and for what team?

I'll say Valentine's Day, Darvish, Dodgers. 

Friedman will have some red wine, some dark chocolate, and some romancin'. This will relax his mind so much, he will say, "We will move Kemp later, luxury tax be damned!" 

• Haha 1

Arieta on Monday is my guess. 

4 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Any predictions on when the next significant signing will be, the player involved, and for what team?

I'll say Valentine's Day, Darvish, Dodgers. 

Friedman will have some red wine, some dark chocolate, and some romancin'. This will relax his mind so much, he will say, "We will move Kemp later, luxury tax be damned!" 

4 minutes ago, osb_tensor said:

Well that should pretty much get things going. I'm expecting a busy week. ST is right around the corner and some big money was just spent. There's another dumb owner just waiting to get exploited. I can sense it!

One more thing to add, I blame Jeter for this mess.. he supplied plenty of talent to other teams. 

Sensical signing for the Cubs, although they bear all the risk. 6 years $126M (150 with Incentives), which is a fair AAV, but also a full NTC and opt outs ( I need to verify this) for years 2 and 3.

If the opt outs are correct, they have Yu for 2018, with a lot of variables playing for seasons beyond.

That being said, the Cubs rotation was solid before, but now as 4 guys at the top that should be #2 pitchers. They could use a bounce-back from Lester and Hendricks, but I think that is fairly likely. Cubs should shoot for another strong reliever, and they should be good for another trip to the NLCS (or beyond)