NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2017-2018 Off-season and Hot Stove Thread

2ndCitySox

56 minutes ago, rdf8585 said:

Does everyone think Norris is now the front-runner for saves in St. Louis' unsettled pen? I know some fans were hyping up Dominic Leone as a sleeper for saves there.

The front office has actually said that Gregerson will have the first shot at closer going into spring training, and hasn't mentioned Leone in that way. I doubt the Norris signing changes that, unless of course Gregerson falters. Cards beat writer Derrick Goold agrees in today's article about the Norris signing: "All the roles in the bullpen have been thrown open for the Cardinals as they look for a setup man and turn to Luke Gregerson as the first-crack closer this spring." Cardinals haven't commented yet though, but my educated guess as a fan is that this doesn't change Gregerson being the one in mind for closer.

• Like 3

On 2/11/2018 at 8:42 AM, dan said:

Don't like it. It would help teams that don't need help and would make it even harder for some teams to improve.

I prefer a lottery, like in the NBA. This is why they started using it and it seems like the best way to deal with the problem.

I would be fine with lottery, but not weighted.  So its like you try to win every game and you finish last or the best record not in the playoffs and you have same chances at the first pick.  The NBA is unique because one player has such a dramatic effect.   Despite having these parody rules like the lottery, like being the first major sports league with salary cap, you have only had 11 Franchises win a title since 79-80 and 2 of those the Sixers and Mavs have 1, and Rockets 2 years when MJ retired, so really you have 8 franchises in 34 years.  Meaning 2/3 of your league is just window dressing.  NBA in my opinion needs a franchise player rule.  

21 hours ago, Baseball Jonze said:

Does tanking even happen in baseball?  I mean you're #1 pick is still 3-4 years away and far from a sure thing.  Sure if there is a generational talent consensus #1 that comes along maybe once a decade sorta deal.  Tanking is much more a thing in the NBA and NFL where you get instant injection of that pick into your line-up. 

The real problem is that there is too much non-gate money for owners.  They don't have to worry about getting fans to the game - the television deal covers all their expenses.  Also franchise values are skyrocketing even when you team is crapola.  Detroit Pistons sold for $325M in 2011, it was valued at $810M by Forbes recently - a 250% increase in value in seven years.  In those seven years ONE playoff appearance, going out in a sweep against Cleveland.  

Starting to (although agree with what you say), people point to Cubs and Astros as models, but its like - we are not gonna make the playoffs so why go pay that Free Agent and spend $100 million on salary this year, when I can spend $60 Million, win similar number of games still not make the playoffs - make more $$ and get a better draft pick and like you said the gate doesnt matter as much so who cares if people are not showing up

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

Reports on MLB trade rumors that Arrieta turn downed a 6 year deal from the Cubs, wow he is getting some bad advice, no other team is going to offer him that, I think Boras is going to cost his clients a lot of money this off season

That's crazy. He was showing signs of decline last year.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, azeri98 said:

Reports on MLB trade rumors that Arrieta turn downed a 6 year deal from the Cubs, wow he is getting some bad advice, no other team is going to offer him that, I think Boras is going to cost his clients a lot of money this off season

Link? I've seen reports the Cubs called him to have him lined up as a fallback in case Darvish passed, but haven't seen they offered him a six year offer. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Link? I've seen reports the Cubs called him to have him lined up as a fallback in case Darvish passed, but haven't seen they offered him a six year offer. 

I am trying to find the article again now, but I read that the Cubs offered Arrieta the same deal they offered Darvish.  It also said that deal was still on the table for Jake so if he doesn't accept it then he's probably making a foolish decision IMO.

5 minutes ago, Zig Zag said:

I am trying to find the article again now, but I read that the Cubs offered Arrieta the same deal they offered Darvish.  It also said that deal was still on the table for Jake so if he doesn't accept it then he's probably making a foolish decision IMO.

I totally thought this was something else entirely. It felt like both the Cubs were saving face with fans on letting Arrieta walk as well as Arrieta telling clubs that "see, the Cubs were interested" to try and establish a market.  I don't think there was ever a formal offer and I don't think either side was interested in a reunion, but it benefits both parties in a weird way not to deny these rumors.  A lot of people are curious as to why the Cubs showed so little interest in Arrieta.  It isn't helping his market.

It already looks like Heyman is backtracking and that there was never a formal offer on the table.  More of a courtesy phone call to gauge interest.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2018 at 1:35 PM, Caelum said:

The front office has actually said that Gregerson will have the first shot at closer going into spring training, and hasn't mentioned Leone in that way. I doubt the Norris signing changes that, unless of course Gregerson falters. Cards beat writer Derrick Goold agrees in today's article about the Norris signing: "All the roles in the bullpen have been thrown open for the Cardinals as they look for a setup man and turn to Luke Gregerson as the first-crack closer this spring." Cardinals haven't commented yet though, but my educated guess as a fan is that this doesn't change Gregerson being the one in mind for closer.

Matty T knows baseball.

Nunez re-signs with the Red Sox for a one year deal. This is a huge signing for them with Pedroia beginning the season on the DL which doesn’t bode well for his 2018. And if he comes back and is healthy for the rest of the year Nunez provides a lot of flexibility for that infield. 

• Like 4

^  Hah, we posted at the same time.

As a Sox fan I'm both excited and relieved they got this guy back.  He was like some spark plug or the Energizer Bunny for them last year.

According to FanRag's Robert Murray, the Red Sox and Eduardo Nunez have agreed to terms on a one-year deal with an option for 2019.

A three-year deal for Nunez seemed likely at the end of the regular season last year, but then he hurt his knee in the postseason and the free agent market collapsed. It benefits the Red Sox, who get a versatile player on a short-term deal. Nunez can start at second base on Opening Day and move into a utility role after Dustin Pedroia returns.
Feb 15 - 6:34 PM

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, azeri98 said:

Ya not bad I thought the price was too high, Cashner got the same from the Orioles but 2 years and i think he is the better pitcher

It's actually the opposite, Garcia is the better pitcher and comes with a smaller commitment. The Jays got a much better value!

Here are their 2017 stats:

Garcia: 7.39 K/9, 3.67 BB/9, 1.03 HR/9, .302 BAPIP, 54.8 GB%, 4.41 ERA, 4.25 FIP, 4.18 xFIP 

Cashner: 4.64 K/9, 3.46 BB/9, 0.81 HR/9, .266 BAPIP, 48.6 GB%, 3.40 ERA, 4.61 FIP, 5.30 xFIP

Cashner stopped missing bats (best swinging strike rate was on his slider which had a far below average 8.8%) and his stuff isn’t good enough to induce weak contact (25.5% hard contact) so the numbers show that Cashner was very very lucky in 2017. Steamer projects him to post a 5.40 ERA in 2018.

Garcia on the other hand, still has his skills intact, with 3 off-speed offerings with above-average (slider was elite with a 21.5% swinging strike rate) or better swinging strike rates. He generates groundballs at a much better rate compared to Cashner and limits hard contact better (21.5% hard contact rate). Steamer projects him to post a 4.53 ERA.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, garlando said:

It's actually the opposite, Garcia is the better pitcher and comes with a smaller commitment. The Jays got a much better value!

Here are their 2017 stats:

Garcia: 7.39 K/9, 3.67 BB/9, 1.03 HR/9, .302 BAPIP, 54.8 GB%, 4.41 ERA, 4.25 FIP, 4.18 xFIP 

Cashner: 4.64 K/9, 3.46 BB/9, 0.81 HR/9, .266 BAPIP, 48.6 GB%, 3.40 ERA, 4.61 FIP, 5.30 xFIP

Cashner stopped missing bats (best swinging strike rate was on his slider which had a far below average 8.8%) and his stuff isn’t good enough to induce weak contact (25.5% hard contact) so the numbers show that Cashner was very very lucky in 2017. Steamer projects him to post a 5.40 ERA in 2018.

Garcia on the other hand, still has his skills intact, with 3 off-speed offerings with above-average (slider was elite with a 21.5% swinging strike rate) or better swinging strike rates. He generates groundballs at a much better rate compared to Cashner and limits hard contact better (21.5% hard contact rate). Steamer projects him to post a 4.53 ERA.

I just thought Cashner had the better year, I don't like his prospects pitching at Camden, but i also don't  like Garcia's prospects at Rogers, you're right though, he was very lucky

Edited by azeri98
add

5 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

Baltimore trying to recreate the magic of the Ubaldo era, signs Cashner on a two year deal for 16 million. There are also incentives if he reaches the 360 inning mark between the next two seasons, despite having the durability of Elijah Price.

In the first Yahoo complete player rankings (which includes hitters thus the gap in numbering) the very last two starting pitchers listed period Ubaldo at 1415 (right ankle sprain) and now FA Chris Tillman at 1451 (right shoulder soreness) and last year's O, Wade Miley, is fifth-to-last at 1377 with a minor league contract elsewhere.  Meanwhile a healthy Cashman has soared to #449 by comparison.  Looking way way up for the Birds, hah hah.

Geez what is it with them and pitching anyway?  Yankees, Sox and Jays manage to get better pitching staffs in similar hitters' parks in this division.  During the long ago Palmer era they were the pitching factory of baseball.

• Like 1