NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2017-2018 Off-season and Hot Stove Thread

2ndCitySox

1 hour ago, 96mnc said:

Can someone explain why Cdick was DFAed?  This does not make any sense to me. 

12 minutes ago, bbythepier said:

Rays finding out it's hard to make trades for "good" players when a bunch of "good" players still remain unsigned.

Rays' GM says they DFA'd Dickerson to spur on a conclusion to trade talks they've already had with many teams. Reddit hivemind says the Rays lost a lot of leverage, but really the remaining FA market along with many big spenders already at the luxury tax cap is what's killing their leverage IMO.

More details and an interesting "speculation" regards Dickerson:

Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports the Rays have traded Jake Odorizzi to the Twins.

No word yet on return. Just minutes before Topkin's report, Yahoo Sports' Jeff Passan said he'd heard word of a deal between the clubs and linked the recently-DFA'd Corey Dickerson to the Minnesota club as well. His involvement has yet to be reported. Odorizzi's name swirled in trade talks all winter after he put up a 4.14 ERA and 1.24 WHIP over 143 1/3 innings last season, and the Twins have been known to be in the market for a starter all offseason as well. Stay tuned.
Related: Twins

Feb 17 - 9:47 PM

So it doesn't sound by the wording that it was to make room on the 40 man roster as much as maybe Minnesota wants Dickerson as well?  As a DH I assume?

And Cron earlier?  Thank you Tampa Bay for doing something -- anything -- in this slow hot stove league season.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

2 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

More details and an interesting "speculation" regards Dickerson:

So it doesn't sound by the wording that it was to make room on the 40 man roster as much as maybe Minnesota wants Dickerson as well?  As a DH I assume?

DH would make sense with Eduardo Escobar originally slated to man that role. Doesnt hurt to just push him behind Sano as 3rd depth and also SS depth behind Polanco.

• Like 1

Just now, bbythepier said:

I was reacting to your post

But the quote in my post indicated BOTH were involved in the quote, not just either/or which was what I read in your post I quoted that cited my post etc etc etc, heh. 

And it was a quote from someone in the biz speculating it was BOTH.  For all I know the Tampa Bay GM is currently dead drunk and has decided what the hell I am so bored with this team why not just blow it up tonight.  Let's make a deal, any deal, universe!

1 minute ago, bbythepier said:

I don't care what "someone in the biz" interpreted from Passan's tweets. Passan guessed the trade was for Dickerson and was wrong. He has no inside info on a Dickerson/Twins trade.

No, the quote above says:

Jeff Passan said he'd heard word of a deal between the clubs and linked the recently-DFA'd Corey Dickerson to the Minnesota club as well.

Passan never indicated in the whole quote above that Odurizzi wasn't being traded.  He just thinks Dickerson is part of the greater deal as well.

But me I'm all into a drunken Rays GM who has had it with year after year having to field a good pitch / bad hit club playing in the worst excuse of a ball park since the Twins' dark as a dungeon Baggy Dome.  Looking forward to seeing if he gets some young bats back for this deal but watch him get Joe Mauer as his new DH instead, haha.

4 minutes ago, bbythepier said:

Whatever you think is fine. Passan knows jack where Dickerson is going. Quit quoting me.

Got to quote you one last time because you are so so serious about this whole thing while I've been having a grand old time with it.  And because you told me not to quote you, hah.  B)

And did I say anyone knows anything for sure about anyone else?  This is a fun thread full of speculation being quoted.  I thought it was interesting they thought the TB GM was being super secret squirrel smart for once.

And WOW a Boras player FINALLY signs a contract!  I guess SD has a nicer climate than KC in the dog days of summer (plus a beach) because the contracts were similar.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1

surprising to see Dickerson just DFA. they couldn't even trade him?

Rays designated OF Corey Dickerson for assignment.

As noted by Baseball America's Kyle Glaser on Twitter, Dickerson went from being the American League's starting designated hitter in last summer's All-Star Game to being removed from the Rays' 40-man roster days before spring training was set to open. Dickerson's career path has been a strange one, but the 28-year-old shouldn't be out of a job for long given his past brushes with success. Still, a shocking move from the Tampa club as camp is set to open, to say the least.

he started in the all star game last season.

he is coming off a season of .282/84/27/62.

in an off season that seems to have a lot of trades the Rays really couldn't get anything for Dickerson??

its a great deal for the Padres its essentially 5 years for 100 mil, and the final 3 years are for 13 year if he chooses not to opt out.

they get him from age 28-33 its not a bad contract for those years, if he posts even 3 WAR a year its surplus value.  

AJ has proven he can get an elite prospect for a bad contract anyways, but this is a good contract imo

• Like 1