NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2017-2018 Off-season and Hot Stove Thread

2ndCitySox

Rays acquired SS Jermaine Palacios from the Twins for RHP Jake Odorizzi.

Palacios isn't held in high regard in the prospect world despite hitting .296/.333/.454 between Class A and High-A last season. That's probably in part because he did it as a 20-year-old, turning 21 in July. Still, the Rays are trying to build up their farm system for another run built on homegrown talent, and Palacios will now be added to that mix.

Wow almost no value at all for Odorizzi.

2 hours ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

How the hell has AJ Preller survived as GM of San Diego? He came in with all the hype and has been pretty s***

He went for it and failed miserably. He seemed to recognize it quickly enough and has been taking steps to get a better club. I can see why he deserves a longer rope. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Golden Spikes said:

its a great deal for the Padres its essentially 5 years for 100 mil, and the final 3 years are for 13 year if he chooses not to opt out.

they get him from age 28-33 its not a bad contract for those years, if he posts even 3 WAR a year its surplus value.  

AJ has proven he can get an elite prospect for a bad contract anyways, but this is a good contract imo

I think its a better deal for the Pads at the end of the deal than Martinez going to the Red Sox or anybody else for five years for close to the same money. Hosmer is two years younger and the contract is front loaded so even  playing at 35 its for less money than JDM at the end of five years at age 35. I just don't see JDM aging well. A three year deal at more money would be more like it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Light Tower Power said:

I think you might be underestimating them in 2019-21. Surely not a now move.

I don't see hosmer being a key piece for them to win. They have some good players in the farm, but maybe spending this money later would have made more sense. 

Edited by 2ndCitySox

The Rays blowing it up and not really getting much back. Read somewhere they want a new stadium because the Trop is difficult  to get to ? Who's going to go to the games? They were lucky to get 15000 for home games after an opening day crowd of 27000. They only draw when the Yankees or Red Sox are in town. And then there are more Sox and Yankee fans in attendence. Between the marlins and the Rays they might be lucky to finish .500 combined.

Colome will be next to go. I know I wouldn't pay 50.00 to sit and watch the Rays and the Royals .

• Like 2

4 hours ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

How the hell has AJ Preller survived as GM of San Diego? He came in with all the hype and has been pretty s***

He has debatably the best / deepest farm system of anyone in the MLB right up there with the Yankees and Braves. He got Fernando Tatis Jr for freaking James Shields. Sure, maybe current product isn't that great, but that is clearly not part of his plan right now.

Edited by Dirtywater97
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

I don't see hosmer being a key piece for them to win. They have some good players in the farm, but maybe spending this money later would have made more sense. 

Yeah, that's fair. The contract isn't bad for most teams, but they aren't most teams (financially). Could possibly use the funds better down the road. I guess this is there, time to take us seriously signing. At least he is young and has some possible batted ball profile opportunities to exploit.

56 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

He has debatably the best / deepest farm system of anyone in the MLB right up there with the Yankees and Braves. He got Fernando Tatis Jr for freaking James Shields. Sure, maybe current product isn't that great, but that is clearly not part of his plan right now.

Farm system is loaded with high ceiling guys.  

2 hours ago, motown magic said:

The Rays blowing it up and not really getting much back. Read somewhere they want a new stadium because the Trop is difficult  to get to ? Who's going to go to the games? They were lucky to get 15000 for home games after an opening day crowd of 27000. They only draw when the Yankees or Red Sox are in town. And then there are more Sox and Yankee fans in attendence. Between the marlins and the Rays they might be lucky to finish .500 combined.

Colome will be next to go. I know I wouldn't pay 50.00 to sit and watch the Rays and the Royals .

For $50 you could prob sit in the dugout at both stadiums.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

he was pressured by new ownership to make a splash, and that he did, but he then turned the farm system into one of the best and unloaded all the pieces after it failed for some great prospects.  Tatis aformentioned also guys like, Espinoza (hurt), Paddack (Hurt), Naylor, Margot, Asuaje, Allen, Hand, Yates and a lot of others 

8 hours ago, motown magic said:

The Rays blowing it up and not really getting much back. Read somewhere they want a new stadium because the Trop is difficult  to get to ? Who's going to go to the games? ...

The main difficulty in getting to the Trop is no one wants to get to it. 

7 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

I could see Logan Morrison signing with the Royals. They have a need for the next couple years and I could see him being on board with a 2-3 year deal. 

Still no idea what happens with Moose.

KC said early on they hoped to be able to afford to keep one of Hosmer, Moose or Cain. They wanted to keep Hosmer the most but with him gone I could see KC re-signing Moose.  Also the Yankees are interested.  Not good for Miguel Andujar owners but Moose for a year or two even will give them far more production at 3B.

6 hours ago, Dirtywater97 said:

He has a very good one but my vote is still for the White Sox current farm system being better.  But the Padres are indeed loaded down on the farm.  You can drool over their prospect pitchers alone then there is Tatis.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

20 hours ago, Magoo said:

don't know (crappy fielder?), but this is MASSIVE for Mallex Smith no?  He just shot up 100 spot imo if hes starting.

I'm shocked to not see more people bringing this up. First thing I thought of when I saw Dickerson get moved was what a massive value Mallex could be.