NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2017-2018 Off-season and Hot Stove Thread

2ndCitySox

1 minute ago, adifazio27 said:

I'm shocked to not see more people bringing this up. First thing I thought of when I saw Dickerson get moved was what a massive value Mallex could be. 

And I was thinking Jake Bauers would end up playing in the OF for the Rays this year now.  Especially since Cron probably blocks him at 1B now.  But maybe Bauers will be a DH instead.

10 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Angels sign Chris Young to be their fourth outfielder. They also signed Chris Carter to a minor league deal. If this is one of his good years (unlikely), this could be a fun offense. 

Carter is only really decent in a platoon situation and his best years are behind him but the Sox had him on the Boston team for the last two years because he is really good with helping the younger outfielders and an excellent clubhouse guy.  I think he will be a good mentor figure for Renfroe and Margot and others.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

7 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Carter is only really decent in a platoon situation and his best years are behind him but the Sox had him on the Boston team for the last two years because he is really good with helping the younger outfielders and an excellent clubhouse guy.  I think he will be a good mentor figure for Renfroe and Margot and others.

Are Renfroe and Margo getting traded to the LAA?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Southern California is just one big area for you East Coast folk, eh?

Hint: San Diego and Anaheim are different teams. :P

• Like 1

5 hours ago, El_Chingon said:

Are Renfroe and Margo getting traded to the LAA?

Whoops.  And I meant Chris Young instead as well.  Did myself a twofer.

5 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

Southern California is just one big area for you East Coast folk, eh?

Hint: San Diego and Anaheim are different teams. :P

LOL!  Yeah I admit I have always mixed those two teams' personnel up for some reason for years and years.  Which one is Trout on again?  :wacko:

But hey I am an equal opportunity idiot.  I get personnel on Milwaukee and Minnesota crossed-up at times too.  They both start with M and are in the midwest after all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

More of the same on JD Martinez and the Red Sox.  They are standing pat, apparently, on their offer.  I hope they pass on him.  IF so, what's his market value?  It's not like Boras would have any leverage left. Oh wait, his old creation of the  'mystery' team!  F-off Boras and Martinez, you deserve one another.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Tillman back to Baltimore. 

Pitch clocks will NOT be implemented this year. 

What?  No pitch clocks?!?!  I thought it was a done deal.  Damn I can't take another season where third rate, indecisive, Hamlet-like pitchers walk around the mound endlessly staring at the baseball like it was alas, poor Yorick's skull.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

What?  No pitch clocks?!?!  I thought it was a done deal.  Damn I can't take another season where third rate, indecisive, Hamlet-like pitchers walk around the mound endlessly staring at the baseball like it was alas, poor Yorick's skull.

Limited mound visits allowed, no pitch clock, shorter commercial breaks.

1 hour ago, AnonymousRob said:

I want the pitch clock because it is the pitcher holding the ball and doing nothing that drives me crazy. 

There is wasting time and there is wasting time.  I don't care about commercial breaks.  I'm off watching another channel then or texting or going to the bathroom or making a sandwich or picking my nose or doing other such enjoyable and positive activities.  That time flies by quickly.  It is endlessly staring at the damn do-nothing slow poke pitcher fidgeting around on the mound that makes the game seem endless.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

seems odd that he would now pick the offer that Boston has had out there, after seeing that Arizona was becoming an option. makes me wonder if Boston increased their offer and that is why JD signed now.

Arizona was never close to offering what Boston did

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Does it look like JD will end up with less than the original offer?

I could be wrong but thought I read reports that the original offer was 5-150.......and now I'm reading deal is "done" and in the range of 5-100 or 125.

There were never full reports on what the offer was. Some said 5-125. Others said 5-100. For whatever reason the first report caught on everywhere and everyone seemed to ignore the latter.

ETA - reports saying the contract is heavily front loaded and there's an opt-out after two years.

Edited by AnonymousRob
More information.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AnonymousRob said:

There were never full reports on what the offer was. Some said 5-125. Others said 5-100. For whatever reason the first report caught on everywhere and everyone seemed to ignore the latter.

I was discussing this with someone the other day. Look at who said 5-125... it was Heyman. We think Heyman is on Boras' payroll. Probably hoping to get some offers up. Who knows?

3 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

5 year 110 mill for JD 

3 minutes ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

So really this may be 2-50? Just speculation on my part here. 

Looks like it. Heyman reporting it's 2-50 then comes the opt out. 

That would still leave him with a 3 year, 60 million contract if he didn't opt out. If the next couple offseasons stay as ugly as this one I think he'll end up staying put.

1 minute ago, AnonymousRob said:

Looks like it. Heyman reporting it's 2-50 then comes the opt out. 

That would still leave him with a 3 year, 60 million contract if he didn't opt out. If the next couple offseasons stay as ugly as this one I think he'll end up staying put.

That's essentially Encarnacion's contract, so that would make some sense in a couple years.

• Like 1

ESPN's Pedro Gomez reports that a deal between the Red Sox and J.D. Martinez is "done."

Gomez says it's a five-year contract with an opt-out after two years, and MLB.com's Jon Morosi reports it's for $110 million and is front-loaded. Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports was first to report that there was momentum for a deal between the two sides. The Red Sox and Martinez seemed destined to wind up together even as it took much longer than expected. He will serve as Boston's designated hitter, pushing Hanley Ramirez to first base.
Related: Red Sox

Feb 19 - 5:19 PM

Looks like the Sox threw 10 mil more into the pot but got the contract front loaded and refused to add a 6th year.  Don't know who holds the opt out after 2 years though. If JD does he is sitting pretty as long as he performs like last year.

That front loading really helps make the deal more acceptable to us Sox fans.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Just now, The Big Bat Theory said:

Looks like the Sox threw 10 mil more into the pot but got the contract front loaded and refused to add a 6th year.  Don't know who holds the opt out after 2 years though.

That front loading really helps make the deal more acceptable to us Sox fans.

JD can opt out after 2 years. 

• Like 1