NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2017-2018 Off-season and Hot Stove Thread

2ndCitySox

12 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Looks like it. Heyman reporting it's 2-50 then comes the opt out. 

That would still leave him with a 3 year, 60 million contract if he didn't opt out. If the next couple offseasons stay as ugly as this one I think he'll end up staying put.

I think this offseason is an anomaly. Teams are saving money for next year's class. Plus with this year's class being weak, they wanted to reset their luxury tax issues. But if it's not an anomaly then both sides got what they needed here. Always nice to get more money upfront for the player and easier on the Sox payroll down the road. 

9 minutes ago, The 7th Beatles said:

So 19 mil each if he sticks out the last 2 years.  Protects him if he is still doing well and thinks he can get more and protects the Sox if he shows decline. Pretty fair.

Also the one post said he would DH with Hanley to 1B.  No reports here in the Boston media to that and JD wanted to play in the field.  But if he does become David Ortiz' long-term successor at DH, well DH tends to work well for older players if they can get the hang of DH-ing.  It isn't for everyone.

So Boras' two big hitters signed in the last 48 hours.  Guess Scott wants to go on vacation, hah.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

So 19 mil each if he sticks out the last 2 years.  Protects him if he is still doing well and thinks he can get more and protects the Sox if he shows decline. Pretty fair.

Also the one post said he would DH with Hanley to 1B.  No reports here in the Boston media to that and JD wanted to play in the field.  But if he does become David Ortiz' long-term successor at DH, well DH tends to work well for older players if they can get the hang of DH-ing.  It isn't for everyone.

So Boras' two big hitters signed in the last 48 hours.  Guess Scott wants to go on vacation, hah.

sorry im late to the party

who was the other?

14 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

How does an opt-out protect the club? IF JD is going well he opts-out for a better contract, club loses. IF he does poorly he doesn't opt-out and the club is stuck with a bad contract and a player that is now performing poorly and at least two years older.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

How does an opt-out protect the club? IF JD is going well he opts-out for a better contract, club loses. IF he does poorly he doesn't opt-out and the club is stuck with a bad contract and a player that is now performing poorly and at least two years older.

If he opts out at age 32-33, I don't think it's a big deal for the club. 

If he plays ok for the first two seasons but not good enough to opt out then suffering through 19-20 mil per isn't the end of the world either. 

If he doesn't play well at all, youre stuck anyway. 

That's what I gather from these types of contracts. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

This is why guys flock to him, after a while he saw the market wasn't what he thought it would be so he front loaded deals with opt outs to see if it will revert back to what it was

Just now, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

If he plays ok for the first two seasons but not good enough to opt out then suffering through 19-20 mil per isn't the end of the world either. 

So then how does an opt-out protect the club from anything? 20m doesn't seem like much till you start bumping up against the luxury tax and resigning your own players or other FA.  The Dodgers won't continually be bailing them out. AGon and Crawford.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

Really?  How's it going with Hanley?  

Opt outs are always a bad deal for the club. Best case scenario the player performs so well they leave or they're barely worth the contract so they stick around. Worst case scenario they're stuck with an awful deal. But with teams offering shorter deals these days, it's how they entice players. It's one or the other. Opt outs are the lesser of two evils.

Just now, Low and Away said:

So then how does an opt-out protect the club from anything? 20m doesn't seem like much till you start bumping up against the luxury tax and resigning your own players or other FA.  The Dodgers won't continually be bailing them out. AGon and Crawford.

Instead of 22 mil per it drops it down to 19.. not much of a protection but it's something. It'll give them a little breathing room.

Want full protection? Then don't sign FA's and build the farm I guess. I don't think they were getting him for less than 5 years. He waited them out just as much as they waited him out. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

2 minutes ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

1*8PrkCmEbL7aer0lmmIRpBw.gif

Wait, but if the opt-out helps the club sign the player they want, and  if said player helps the team win the WS in the first 2 years, the club wins and thus has benefited from the opt out.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AnonymousRob said:

Opt outs are always a bad deal for the club. Best case scenario the player performs so well they leave or they're barely worth the contract so they stick around. Worst case scenario they're stuck with an awful deal. But with teams offering shorter deals these days, it's how they entice players. It's one or the other. Opt outs are the lesser of two evils.

Disagree.  Why is it one or the other?  Did EE get an opt out?

5 minutes ago, unknownrotoguru said:

Really?  How's it going with Hanley?  

What about Hanley? Did he have an opt out? I was referring to JD and his contract. At this moment in time, it's a good deal for both sides. Sure the Redsox are taking on all of the risks but isn't that always the case? Shoot.. JD got two opt outs apparently, good for him. At the end of the day the Sox has to pay anyway. At least front loaded it doesn't look so bad towards the end. 

3 minutes ago, unknownrotoguru said:

Disagree.  Why is it one or the other?  Did EE get an opt out?

He was already 34. Even with a monster year he wasn't going to get better than a 2/40, which he would have already been with in Cleveland. Just because opt-outs are how teams entice big name players doesn't mean every single player gets one. 

28 minutes ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

What about Hanley? Did he have an opt out? I was referring to JD and his contract. At this moment in time, it's a good deal for both sides. Sure the Redsox are taking on all of the risks but isn't that always the case? Shoot.. JD got two opt outs apparently, good for him. At the end of the day the Sox has to pay anyway. At least front loaded it doesn't look so bad towards the end. 

I should have been more specific, sorry for the confusion.  Hanley has just a $20,000,000 option for 2019 but Boston doesn't want it exercised because, well, $20,000,000 is a lot of money for crappy production (actually being on the field is important).  If jdm is still a regular in the medic ward, they'll have 3 years of that not too costly $20,000,000 per to deal with.  

And just to be clear, I actually think, when healthy, jdm is great for any roster...

Edited by unknownrotoguru