NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2017-2018 Off-season and Hot Stove Thread

2ndCitySox

15 minutes ago, unknownrotoguru said:

I should have been more specific, sorry for the confusion.  Hanley has just a $20,000,000 option for 2019 but Boston doesn't want it exercised because, well, $20,000,000 is a lot of money for crappy production (actually being on the field is important).  If jdm is still a regular in the medic ward, they'll have 3 years of that not too costly $20,000,000 per to deal with.  

And just to be clear, I actually think, when healthy, jdm is great for any roster...

Okay I see now what you were getting at. But Hanley didn't deserve that big contract. JD is in a better spot now than Hanley was when he signed his contract. Personally I wouldn't have given JD a contract like that if it were my team. He's been injured a little the past two seasons. But it is what it is. Not a bad deal for either side from the outside looking in. 

14 minutes ago, MJDrocks said:

I guess I'd be more greedy because it would def bother me, ha

The difference is about 8% in state income tax. Although I suspect athletes may be able to take advantage of pass-through tax changes. At any rate, to compare apples to oranges. San Diego is quantifiably more than 8% better than Boston (in terms of climate alone).

Guys,

It looks like Mike Moustakas is being linked to my White Sox.

It's too perfect of a fit and with all the signings as of late, I think Boras is trying to get something done here. I'm almost 80% certain that Mike M ends up with the White Sox this week.

As a White Sox fan I don't know if I should be excited or bummed. I guess it all comes down to the $$$$ we end up paying for him.

Of course, this is not guaranteed and just based off my speculation, but there are rumblings going around today by various reporters linking the WSox with Mike M.

Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that the Diamondbacks have acquired Steven Souza from the Rays as part of a three-team trade.

Brandon Drury is headed to the Yankees, who are sending second base prospect Nick Solak to the Rays. Tampa Bay will also get left-hander Anthony Banda from the Diamondbacks in this swap and there may be some other pieces involved.
Related: Diamondbacks, Yankees, Brandon Drury, Nick Solak
Source: Nick Piecoro on Twitter

3 hours ago, CrypTviLL said:

Guys,

It looks like Mike Moustakas is being linked to my White Sox.

It's too perfect of a fit and with all the signings as of late, I think Boras is trying to get something done here. I'm almost 80% certain that Mike M ends up with the White Sox this week.

As a White Sox fan I don't know if I should be excited or bummed. I guess it all comes down to the $$$$ we end up paying for him.

Of course, this is not guaranteed and just based off my speculation, but there are rumblings going around today by various reporters linking the WSox with Mike M.

Nooooooooo...  although admittedly I don't remember if the Sox have a 3b in the pipeworks. I am not a big fan of Moustakas though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Nooooooooo...  although admittedly I don't remember if the Sox have a 3b in the pipeworks. I am not a big fan of Moustakas though. 

Jake Burger though his ETA is usually given as around 2020.  But Abreu enters arbitration next year and free agency in 2020 so either Burger or Moose could move to 1B.  And I am all pro-Moose after last year's performance. 

And that three-way trade.  Man, Arizona upgraded nicely without an expensive 5 year contract to JD.

Well Sousa died and went to heaven.  Humidor be damned, they have sun and blue skies and a contending team in Arizona.  No more playing in a dark dungeon on a team going nowhere. 

Drury gets a shot at more playing time if he can seize the moment.  The darkhorse with potential will have his chance to prove himself in pinstripes.

And Anthony Banda in TB is probably good for him because they will work their pitching magic on him and coach him up in their pitching factory (minors) then trade him off to a contender in a couple of years.

Meanwhile TB trades away one of their few decent remaining players in Souza. 

I can see the Rays trying to unload Wilson Ramos next since he is in his last year and both the Nats and Houston have been flirting with a Realmuto trade but Miami wants their crown jewel prospect in return.  But Ramos could be had by the first team just offering three magic beans given what little TB has been getting back in per-season trades this year.  Hurry now even though the offer does seems pretty unlimited.  (It would be pretty funny if Ramos ended up back on the Nats.  Awkward much the way they kind of tossed him aside after that injury).

At the rate it is going I wonder if a mash-up of both Florida teams could even put out a hitting line-up AAA worthy at this point.   (Again, condolences to Rays and Marlins fans).

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

The Rays should be a. 500 team in 2018.

I just don't see it. They need too many things to go right to just get to 75 wins. I'm not as big a believer in their pitching as some, and they still have to score runs to win games. And if/when they trade Archer? I just don't see 81 wins for this team.