NBC Sports Edge Forums

2017-2018 Off-season and Hot Stove Thread

33 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I just don't see it. They need too many things to go right to just get to 75 wins. I'm not as big a believer in their pitching as some, and they still have to score runs to win games. And if/when they trade Archer? I just don't see 81 wins for this team. 

I was desperately hoping that they would trade Archer. He deserves better. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

JT Realmuto right now  

This doesn't belong here but had no idea where else to put it so people will see it. Tonight (1/30) starting at 7:00pm CST MLB.TV will run a documentary on Tony Gwynn. Should be worth watching as he w

Posted Images

Just now, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

I was desperately hoping that they would trade Archer. He deserves better. 

I thought he might be the one dealt to Minnesota instead of Odo. I can't imagine Tampa not trading him during the season...him and Colome. 

17 hours ago, tywalson said:

Horrible team for fantasy but built for speed, defense and pitching. I think 85 is too high but I could see 75+ easily.

I lost respect for Fangraphs.  Predicting 80 wins for the Rays and 76 for the Jays.  I am guessing before the trades and dumps the Rays were predicted for 90 wins?  I am not saying they are off for the Jays, just saying the Jays have better everything than the Rays.  Even the Orioles are one win behind the Jays at 75, I would put them above the Rays as well now.

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, chud12 said:

TRADE: Pirates acquire OF Corey Dickerson from the Rays in exchange for pitcher Daniel Hudson, minor league infielder Tristan Gray and cash considerations.

Nice pickup for the Pirates. And a good spot for Dickerson, imo. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, alisgodnow said:

The rays season will go as their pitching goes imo.  Right now they have a 4 man rotation with 2 young pitchers and a guy that had TJ surgery last year.  They have more young pitchers coming but I doubt they provide much this season.  

Archer, Faria, Snell and Andrise right now.  Andrise is a good enough pitcher but has always been blocked one way or another in TB. 

But yeah that still leaves only 4 if Honeywell's injury is bad.

Still they probably have more pitchers than Rays fans at their home games so there is that I guess.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, TheBoatmen said:

I lost respect for Fangraphs.  Predicting 80 wins for the Rays and 76 for the Jays.  I am guessing before the trades and dumps the Rays were predicted for 90 wins?  I am not saying they are off for the Jays, just saying the Jays have better everything than the Rays.  Even the Orioles are one win behind the Jays at 75, I would put them above the Rays as well now.

I assume one of the reasons you respected Fangraphs was because they made arguments that were largely data driven in spite of emotion. If they make a prediction that causes you to have an emotional reaction, shouldn't your response be to explore what's caused the disconnect, and not just dismiss them out of hand? 

I think FG has earned enough rope to be given benefit of the doubt when they say something unpopular.

• Like 4

The Rays will be lucky to finish 62-100

Who are they going to beat ? The Tigers as bad as they are will finish.about the same . The Hays are at least adding some decent pieces .

If Archer remains the Archer we have seen the last two years he will exceed the 19 loses he had in 16 . He puts his team in a hole and now they don't have nearly enough to play catch up .Same with the rest of the staff . 

On 2/22/2018 at 12:27 PM, TheBoatmen said:

The rays were projected for 85 wins before all the moves. It didn't shift, although that assumed Honeywell would be in the rotation.

11 hours ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

Where's JD? Are they going to send out a search party? What's the hang up now? 

And the strange offseason continues...

Media, per usual, blowing it our of proportion. he is dragging his feet and in the process of getting life in order before he gets locked and loaded

5 hours ago, rotodr said:

Media, per usual, blowing it our of proportion. he is dragging his feet and in the process of getting life in order before he gets locked and loaded

Evan Drellich of NBC Sports Boston reports that the Red Sox and J.D. Martinez are working through a medical issue, though his immediate readiness to play is not in question.

There is expected to be more clarity on the situation on Saturday. It doesn't sound as though the deal is going to fall through, but there could be some change in the overall structure of the contract or the money involved. It sounds like the Red Sox are simply doing their due diligence and making sure that their own medical experts come to the same conclusions as the one's provided by Martinez and his camp.

Source: NBC Sports
Feb 24 - 11:07 AM

On 2/24/2018 at 7:46 AM, rotodr said:

Is he locked and loaded as yet? Haven't heard any news either way. They supposedly had a deal in place since last Monday... 

I am really curious what kind of contract terms are being bandied about in the Jake Arrieta negotiations.

I can’t find any hint of what is being offered and counteroffered other than a quote from Boras that Arrieta deserves more than what Darvish got (which obviously ain’t happening)

1 hour ago, Weekday Warrior said:

I am really curious what kind of contract terms are being bandied about in the Jake Arrieta negotiations.

I can’t find any hint of what is being offered and counteroffered other than a quote from Boras that Arrieta deserves more than what Darvish got (which obviously ain’t happening)

I read recently arrieta is still looking for price/strasburg dollars.  

What should be noted for us fantasy players in here, spring training is far more important for pitchers then hitters.  Every day he misses, every day I lower his value.  You think 'real' GM's are doing anything different?  Arrieta already showed a loss of velocity, I really don't know what he is waiting for.  Are the offers soooo bad that he refuses to sign or is he waiting out an injury (hoping that team shall offer $150,000,000 or more?)

3 hours ago, unknownrotoguru said:

I read recently arrieta is still looking for price/strasburg dollars.  

What should be noted for us fantasy players in here, spring training is far more important for pitchers then hitters.  Every day he misses, every day I lower his value.  You think 'real' GM's are doing anything different?  Arrieta already showed a loss of velocity, I really don't know what he is waiting for.  Are the offers soooo bad that he refuses to sign or is he waiting out an injury (hoping that team shall offer $150,000,000 or more?)

My sense is that the only reason ANY teams are even considering Jake right now (Phi, Mil, Was) is because they think the asking price is (or should be) dropping to something more realstic. I just have no idea what kind of terms they are offering.