Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2017-2018 Off-season and Hot Stove Thread


2ndCitySox
 Share

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, osb_tensor said:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/juiced-baseballs/

Interesting article where they x-ray baseballs looking for a difference between current baseballs and balls from a few years ago.

Spoiler: they find some. 

Manfreds' response last uear of "the balls are within the required specifications" was such a lawyer-like non-answer.  Technically right and fluffy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, STLSU said:

Manfreds' response last uear of "the balls are within the required specifications" was such a lawyer-like non-answer.  Technically right and fluffy.

Anyone notice that the guy who authored the study for MLB (Alan Nathan) is the same guy pushing the Chase humidor numbers? He also claimed in Verlanders twitter thread that Verlander’s comparisons of 2014 to 2017 is not entirely accurate. Interesting.

Edited by Magoo
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

With Boxberger sidelined with soreness and Hirano & Bradley looking rough, it seems like Holland is becoming more of a possibility for the Diamondbacks.  Just an uneducated guess, I think he winds up there.  

 

Cubs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cards, with Mikolas and Flaherty getting shelled they will need Reyes to start whenever he is ready, I don't know if they planned to use him to close or not but they might need another starter, I don't Wainwright think  can cut it anymore, that leaves them CMart, Weaver and Wacha, they should have resigned Lynn at least you know what your getting with him.

Edited by azeri98
add
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, azeri98 said:

Cards, with Mikolas and Flaherty getting shelled they will need Reyes to start whenever he is ready, I don't know if they planned to use him to close or not but they might need another starter, I don't Wainwright think  can cut it anymore, that leaves them CMart, Weaver and Wacha, they should have resigned Lynn at least you know what your getting with him.

They said Reyes will start out in the bullpen so they can ease him in, monitor his innings, etc etc etc.  Everything you would expect a club to do/say when a pitcher is first coming back from Tommy John.  Then when his arm is deemed ready for it of course they said they intend to move him into the starting rotation.  When that will be is anyone's guess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

1 year 6.5 Mil for Moose? 

 

That's Bartolo Colon money. Nice work job, Royals, for whatever it is worth this year. 

 

It will bring some fans out to the ball park for one more year anyway.

 

The rule that would cost any other team signing Moose this season a first rounddraftpick was it really screwed him.  This was the power hitter scarce year where he could have made a big score without that rule.  Next year the big money is going to Harper and Machado. 

 

Quote

Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports reports the Royals have reached a one-year, $6.5 million deal with 3B Mike Moustakas.

 

The deal is still pending a physical. Moustakas will earn a $5.5 million base salary with another $2.2 million available in performance bonuses. The contract also includes a mutual second-year option for $15 million or a $1 million buyout. If the option gets picked up, it would bring the deal's total value to $22.7 million. Moustakas probably regrets turning down Kansas City's qualifying offer, which would have paid him $17.4 million for 2018. It's been an eventful winter for the Royals, who lost Eric Hosmer and Lorenzo Cain in free agency but were able to retain Moustakas and Alcides Escobar while also adding Lucas Duda and Jon Jay. The former second overall pick led the Royals with a career-best 38 homers last season.

 

Regards what I bolded above, I guess he does.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Regards CarGo:

Quote

Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports reports the Rockies are close to re-signing free agent Carlos Gonzalez.

 

Heyman says it will be a one-year deal. This comes mere hours after Manny Randhawa of MLB.com reported the sides were open to reuniting. Gonzalez got off to a disastrous start last season but turned things around by hitting .314 in the second half. Assuming a deal gets done, CarGo will likely split time with Gerardo Parra in right field. The Rockies' outfield is getting crowded with CarGo, Parra, Ian Desmond, Charlie Blackmon and Raimel Tapia in the majors and David Dahl on the way.

 

That's what Rotoworld Blurbman thinks anyway.  I think Colorado has finally managed to overtake Arizona in outfield clutter.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Regards CarGo:

Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports reports the Rockies are close to re-signing free agent Carlos Gonzalez.

 

Heyman says it will be a one-year deal. This comes mere hours after Manny Randhawa of MLB.com reported the sides were open to reuniting. Gonzalez got off to a disastrous start last season but turned things around by hitting .314 in the second half. Assuming a deal gets done, CarGo will likely split time with Gerardo Parra in right field. The Rockies' outfield is getting crowded with CarGo, Parra, Ian Desmond, Charlie Blackmon and Raimel Tapia in the majors and David Dahl on the way.
2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

 

That's what Rotoworld Blurbman thinks anyway.  I think Colorado has finally managed to overtake Arizona in outfield clutter.

They must think the fans will be super thrilled with this move, because it makes no logistical sense to have so many lefty OF bats.  Only Desmond is a righty in that group you listed.  McMahon being another lefty top prospect at 1B.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

didn't they win it last year?

 

They did but Angels got dangerously close as Twins closed out with an Indians series then a Tigers series. Angels obviously got WAY better this offseason so Twins securing Lynn shows they are committed to a rebuttal of what the Angels accomplished. Cozart, Kinsler, Ohtani had to be met by an offseason greater than just LoMo, Odorizzi, Rodney, Duke, and Reed. Have to think the impasse in Dozier talks let to Twins pursuing Lynn harder than they were. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Glad Lynn signed.  I want all my FA guys in my dynasty leagues signed asap.  Come on, Arrieta, get it done.

 

In other news what would the Hot Stove League be without the usually suspension though not a big name one at least:

 

Quote

Royals outfielder Jorge Bonifacio has been suspended 80 games by Major League Baseball for testing positive for a performance-enhancing drug.

 

Bonifacio tested positive for Boldenone, the steroid Jenrry Mejia and David Paulino, among others, have been popped for in recent years. He'll be out until at least June, as the suspension starts with the commence of the regular season. Before the suspension, Bonifacio was jockeying for a starting spot in the Royals outfield.

 

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

didn't they win it last year?

 

11 hours ago, Corey In Da House said:

 

They did but Angels got dangerously close as Twins closed out with an Indians series then a Tigers series. Angels obviously got WAY better this offseason so Twins securing Lynn shows they are committed to a rebuttal of what the Angels accomplished. Cozart, Kinsler, Ohtani had to be met by an offseason greater than just LoMo, Odorizzi, Rodney, Duke, and Reed. Have to think the impasse in Dozier talks let to Twins pursuing Lynn harder than they were. 

What he said. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Latest On Jake Arrieta

By Connor Byrne | March 11, 2018 at 1:24pm CDT

Free agent right-hander Jake Arrieta’s lengthy stay on the open market is likely to end “in the next couple of days,” Bob Nightengale of USA Today tweets. There are still “several teams” vying for Arrieta, according to Nightengale, who adds that the Phillies look like the favorites to land the 32-year-old.

Edited by tonycpsu
We can't have people copy/pasta-ing full posts from other sites here.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, STLSU said:

Latest On Jake Arrieta

By Connor Byrne | March 11, 2018 at 1:24pm CDT

Free agent right-hander Jake Arrieta’s lengthy stay on the open market is likely to end “in the next couple of days,” Bob Nightengale of USA Today tweets. There are still “several teams” vying for Arrieta, according to Nightengale, who adds that the Phillies look like the favorites to land the 32-year-old.

My phils have lowest payroll in MLB

 

if it's a one year salary with a mutual option I'm cool with this

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Light Tower Power said:

 

Time to grab Cobb now. 2 for 40/45.

that would be overpaying in the current FA climate for a low k/9 guy having had TOS surgery.  More likely 1 for 10 or 2 for 22.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, STLSU said:

that would be overpaying in the current FA climate for a low k/9 guy having had TOS surgery.  More likely 1 for 10 or 2 for 22.

 

He was ahead of Lynn in everyone's FA evaluation. Lynn got 1-12.

 

It's a bit of a scouting projection if you sign Cobb, in that you think you can get the change up to come back.

 

Anyway, Phils had the 3rd worse record last year, which means you have to overpay for everyone to get them to come to your team. Money isn't the issue, length is. 2-35 then, we obviously don't know the market which is probably pretty set at the moment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...