NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2017-2018 Off-season and Hot Stove Thread

2ndCitySox

1 hour ago, azeri98 said:

JD Martinez's asking price is 7 years $210 mill, lol if a team gives him that the GM should be fired on the spot

But ... but ... but ... his agent, Scott Boras, who put that price out there, said he was worth it.  Should we peons doubt the great Scott Boras?  After all he just recently dubbed JD the "King Kong of Slug."  (Doesn't even rhyme).  Who can come up with such a totally forgettable and ludicrous title to go along with such a forgettable and ludicrous contract other than Scott Boras, Esq?

But some team will probably offer 6 years at 189.9 million and then brag about how they bargained him down as Boras laughs all the way to the bank.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

But ... but ... but ... his agent, Scott Boras, who put that price out there, said he was worth it.  Should we peons doubt the great Scott Boras?  After all he just recently dubbed JD the "King Kong of Slug."  (Doesn't even rhyme).  Who can come up with such a totally forgettable and ludicrous title to go along with such a forgettable and ludicrous contract other than Scott Boras, Esq?

But some team will probably offer 6 years at 189.9 million and then brag about how they bargained him down as Boras laughs all the way to the bank.

I think Scott Boras needs a nickname ... how about the King Slung of Dung

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, azeri98 said:

Good move for the Mariners, not so much for Healy fantasy wise,that park is not friendly to power hitters unless its Boomstick

First basemen in Seattle are like drummers with Spinal Tap.  They tend to go there to die.  Bummer for us fantasy owners who hoped he'd end up in a nice, hitter friendly park.  Like one of the few Mariner 1B who actually escaped to a such like park (Smoak) where he was resurrected from the dead.

It really is totally weird regards 1B in Seattle though.  It's been an endless revolving door of under performance.  Yonder was having a good season in Oakland too before being traded there.  Vogelbach failed.  Smoak failed in Seattle too.  Seattle is like the Bermuda Triangle for first basemen.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, azeri98 said:

Good move for the Mariners, not so much for Healy fantasy wise,that park is not friendly to power hitters unless its Boomstick

Oakland is regarded as a bad hitters park, too (although looking at numbers, it's difficult to tell why).

In 2013 (I think), the walls/fences were moved in by as much as 17 feet, making it more hitter-friendly (especially for righties). Even with this, it's still pretty pitcher-friendly. Fangraphs said that it went from a HR Park Factor of 61 in 2012 to 84 in 2014.

As for Healy, he had an exit velocity of 88.35MPH, and an average HR distance of 413.09 feet. Safeco field is 401 feet at its deepest, 331 feet at its shallowest. Basically, if the kid repeated his HRs from last year, I'm sure he'd still hit 20+.

Looking at his hit chart on Fangraphs, the kid (he's still 25) crushed some of those balls.

I was never a big believer that he was a 25+ HR hitter, but 20-25 seems completely reasonable. The Mariners were 20th in HR hit at home, which is pretty damn bad. But take into account that their lineup was not the kind of lineup that is going to hit HRs (Valencia, Segura, Gamel, Alonso, Heredia, Dyson, etc). They have a few HR guys, but the offence was and is mostly driven by Cruz, Cano, and Seager... Two of those guys are old as dirt now, and Seager had a "down" year. 

I think Healy plays better in Safeco than Oakland simply based on playing time, where he'd likely bat in the lineup, and the fact that he might actually try and hit the ball for a single or a double instead of a HR every AB.

My projection: 22HR, 84RBI, 79R, .265avg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

Oakland is regarded as a bad hitters park, too (although looking at numbers, it's difficult to tell why).

It has the largest amount of foul ball territory in the majors by far.  In other parks a pop foul into the crowd giving the hitter a second chance merely becomes an out in Oakland.

The reason for the large foul ball territory is of course the place was built as a dual stadium so football dimensions has always caused large foul ball territory when baseball is played there.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

It has the largest amount of foul ball territory in the majors by far.  In other parks a pop foul into the crowd giving the hitter a second chance merely becomes an out in Oakland.

The reason for the large foul ball territory is of course the place was built as a dual stadium so football dimensions has always caused large foul ball territory when baseball is played there.

Thanks, now I know!

3 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

How is their new stadium proposal coming along?  I stopped following being as these things take so long in mid/small market places (living in St. Petersburg FL I can assurely attest to this).

Brilliant as JD Mart may be, there is no guarantee his DRS will improve with more time away from the lisfranc and elbow injuries.  His UZR will probably never be average again I'm afraid.  He should get 3 years, no more than 4 IMO.

4 hours ago, STLSU said:

How is their new stadium proposal coming along?  I stopped following being as these things take so long in mid/small market places (living in St. Petersburg FL I can assurely attest to this).

They have a location picked out not far from the current stadium. It's a community college district office. The school board is okay with it. Still need to convince the public but so far it's polling well. They have the company picked out to design the stadium and it's on the outskirts of downtown Oakland. 

In about a year the proposal should officially be unveiled if all goes well. 

Eta like many stadiums these days, parking will be nearly impossible to come by. Parking in the area right now is difficult, and several lots are in the process of being torn down for housing. By 2020 parking in that area is going to be a near nightmare for actual residents even without a ballpark. Add in a stadium? Lord help anyone trying to drive there. 

Edited by AnonymousRob
  • Like 3

Jays are a "Dark Horse" for JD Martinez, That would be a bad move in my opinion, if you're going to do that i'd rather they just resign Donaldson. who is the better player and will cost about the same. I doubt they do it anyway, not a Shapiro type move, he would love to blow this team up and rebuild from scratch but i don't think ownership will let him.Rogers is more interested in making money than building a franchise for the long term

17 hours ago, azeri98 said:

Jays are a "Dark Horse" for JD Martinez, That would be a bad move in my opinion, if you're going to do that i'd rather they just resign Donaldson. who is the better player and will cost about the same. I doubt they do it anyway, not a Shapiro type move, he would love to blow this team up and rebuild from scratch but i don't think ownership will let him.Rogers is more interested in making money than building a franchise for the long term

No no... Trade Donaldson and start over please. Don't sign more HR hitters... we have a log jam at DH and the team is slow. Please start over.

3 hours ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

No no... Trade Donaldson and start over please. Don't sign more HR hitters... we have a log jam at DH and the team is slow. Please start over.

I agree but if they do wan't to sign someone I'd rather it be Donaldson than Martinez

When does the Winter Meetings happen?  First week of December is it?  We need some trade news!

When does the Winter Meetings happen?  First week of December is it?  We need some trade news!

One of the insider guys on MLB Network did an anonymous informal poll of execs on Stanton, and by far most of them thought he'd end up in Boston.  I know you're not big on that and I agree.  Betts is a great all around player in his own right (duh) and Bradley also defends well with his hitting coming along.  Benintendi is also an all around offensive threat like Betts and will only improve.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, STLSU said:

One of the insider guys on MLB Network did an anonymous informal poll of execs on Stanton, and by far most of them thought he'd end up in Boston.  I know you're not big on that and I agree.  Betts is a great all around player in his own right (duh) and Bradley also defends well with his hitting coming along.  Benintendi is also an all around offensive threat like Betts and will only improve.

Yeah that scares me.  When will the Sox learn that huge, multi-million dollar, multi-forever deals just don't work 9 times out of 10 ... or more.  Please someone lock up Dealin' Dave and his cell until after someone else gets Stanton.  And please, Stanton, keep on California dreaming.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Yeah that scares me.  When will the Sox learn that huge, multi-million dollar, multi-forever deals just don't work 9 times out of 10 ... or more.  Please someone lock up Dealin' Dave and his cell until after someone else gets Stanton.  And please, Stanton, keep on California dreaming.

Maybe Dealin' Dave is working some reverse psycho magic on the other clubs to drive up their price to pay.  Wicked game to play if he got called on such a bluff, though . . .

• Like 1

Seattle going all in on Otani according to Rotoworld blurb:

In a new team podcast, Mariners GM Jerry Dipoto says that the Mariners will make a "full-court press" for Shohei Otani.

Dipoto also says that the team would be willing to play slugger Nelson Cruz a few days in the outfield to accomodate Otani being able to DH on the days he's not pitching. The Mariners have long been considered a candidate for Otani because of their history with Japanese players (Ichiro Suzuki, Hishashi Iwakuma, Kazuhiro Sasaki, just to name a few), but also because they have an obvious need for starting pitching. The fact that Seattle would also be willing to let him hit, at least according to the podcast, is also something that could serve them well in their bid for the 23-year-old. It wouldn't be a major upset at all if Otani ends up playing in Seattle in 2018.

18 hours ago, STLSU said:

Not that we haven't seen players do an about face on this before but Stanton has publicly stated that he will not waive his no-trade clause for Boston or St Louis. I'm quite happy with that.  Boston could certainly use his bat but doesn't need his contract.  It would be an albatross for years to come.  Hopefully ownership and management has learned from Carl Crawford, Adrian Gonzalez, Hanley Ramirez and Kung Fu Panda. . .but I doubt it.