Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

2017-2018 Off-season and Hot Stove Thread


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

JT Realmuto right now  

This doesn't belong here but had no idea where else to put it so people will see it. Tonight (1/30) starting at 7:00pm CST MLB.TV will run a documentary on Tony Gwynn. Should be worth watching as he w

Posted Images

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Doug Fister signs one year deal with the Rangers.  Given all their pitchers not named Cole I guess that isn't a bad move.  Boy is Texas on a downward spiral.

Love this deal. Low risk if he flops, decent chance he gives lots of replacement level innings. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, WahooManiac said:

This, and many other reasons, is why I'm hesitant to just throw out the narrative for the numbers. Ultimately I guess I really just don't know ish about how these defensive metrics come to their final scores. 

 

Especially at 1B. Mark Teixeira is among the best first baseman I've ever seen (if not the very best) in my 25+ years of watching baseball and his defensive metrics are poor. Sometimes you have to just go with what you know. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
According to Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com, Charlie Blackmon is now represented by ACES.
Blackmon was previously represented by Sports One Athlete Management. The move was likely done with next offseason in mind, as the 31-year-old has the chance to cash in big in free agency. Blackmon won his first batting title this past season while hitting .331/.399/.601 with 37 homers, 104 RBI, and 14 steals. He finished fifth in the NL MVP balloting. Nov 27 - 3:05 PM
 
Wonder if the Rockies will try to move him before next seasons trade deadline. Looks like Blackmon is seeking a huge deal next offseason and it’s debatable how much Colorado can afford to pay him. 
Edited by cltubbs
Link to post
Share on other sites

I  just was listening to Toronto sports radio, the Jays are trying to win this year, trying to sign Arietta, Cain, and or JD Martinez and trade for Kinsler to play 2nd for 1 year, he is a FA next year, what the f are these guys doing? Please stop the insanity, time for Tank nation

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, azeri98 said:

I  just was listening to Toronto sports radio, the Jays are trying to win this year, trying to sign Arietta, Cain, and or JD Martinez and trade for Kinsler to play 2nd for 1 year, he is a FA next year, what the f are these guys doing? Please stop the insanity, time for Tank nation

Only game-changer among them is JD but the amount of cash he is going to fetch makes it a questionable decision for a team with so many holes. Last thing you want to to be is a bad team that has a couple of huge contracts on the books like the Tigers the past few years. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, azeri98 said:

I  just was listening to Toronto sports radio, the Jays are trying to win this year, trying to sign Arietta, Cain, and or JD Martinez and trade for Kinsler to play 2nd for 1 year, he is a FA next year, what the f are these guys doing? Please stop the insanity, time for Tank nation

 

1 hour ago, DidiFan said:

Only game-changer among them is JD but the amount of cash he is going to fetch makes it a questionable decision for a team with so many holes. Last thing you want to to be is a bad team that has a couple of huge contracts on the books like the Tigers the past few years. 

even if they signed all 3 of those guys they are still probably 3rd best in the division...

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, azeri98 said:

I  just was listening to Toronto sports radio, the Jays are trying to win this year, trying to sign Arietta, Cain, and or JD Martinez and trade for Kinsler to play 2nd for 1 year, he is a FA next year, what the f are these guys doing? Please stop the insanity, time for Tank nation

 

I agree with you.  And I read that the KC owner is having second thoughts and really wants to  re-sign as many of his FAs as he can -- though I don't see that happening -- because he wants one more year too.  Insanity.

 

Detroit destroyed itself doing that several years running cause the old and now dead owner wanted one more championship before he died.  Now the Tigers are basically rubble because they didn't max out trade value for their vets.  Verlander and JD were short term "rentals" by the time they got dealt so didn't bring the return they would have the year before.  White Sox did it the right way.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

 

I agree with you.  And I read that the KC owner is having second thoughts and really wants to  re-sign as many of his FAs as he can -- though I don't see that happening -- because he wants one more year too.  Insanity.

 

Detroit destroyed itself doing that several years running cause the old and now dead owner wanted one more championship before he died.  Now the Tigers are basically rubble because they didn't max out trade value for their vets.  Verlander and JD were short term "rentals" by the time they got dealt so didn't bring the return they would have the year before.  White Sox did it the right way.

I'll be honest, I'd rather have a team be competitive for as long the Tigers were than be as mediocre as the Jays are going to be. If that means signing 8 old dudes to give me 5 years of championship calibre play, I'm in... Sadly, this is not the care.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Difference between Tigers and Jays is Vlad and Bo. Det didn't have that right around the corner. I'd love to see the Jays spend a little coin if only to be watchable this year while we wait for the Twin Towers to arrive. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

Difference between Tigers and Jays is Vlad and Bo. Det didn't have that right around the corner. I'd love to see the Jays spend a little coin if only to be watchable this year while we wait for the Twin Towers to arrive. 

I get what you're saying, but you're wrong. The Tigers went to the playoffs like 4 years in a row... They were seen as contenders. Bo and Vlad were not right around the corner when the Jays went two years in a row... they were like 17.

 

They Jays shouldn't spend a freaking dime. Next years FA class is really, really good. If anything, resign Donaldson and be bad for a year, then bring Bo/Vlad up in 2019 with a (hopefully) healthy Donaldson. Grab one of those FAs who are out there, and you have a good team.

 

Harper, Machado, Kershaw, Blackmon, Pomeranz, Andrus, Dozier, Miller, Kimbrel, Pollock, Murphy, Gio Gonzalez, LeMahieu, McCutchen, Britton, Allen, .... You could field a team!

 

Even if they signed, say, Martinez this year.... they'd be the 4th best team. Don't spend anything.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can get behind that logic too. Just so many teams in rebuild mode, I think the Jays could remain viable with an addition or two. Even if they only go get one guy, that guy plus Josh, plus the uber studs around the corner would make for an interesting team.

 

Seems like half the AL is in a big race to see how bad they can be in order to "rebuild". And to a degree I get it, but that creates opportunity for others too. Flags fly forever, worse teams have cobbled together a playoff effort and won this thing before. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

I can get behind that logic too. Just so many teams in rebuild mode, I think the Jays could remain viable with an addition or two. Even if they only go get one guy, that guy plus Josh, plus the uber studs around the corner would make for an interesting team.

 

Seems like half the AL is in a big race to see how bad they can be in order to "rebuild". And to a degree I get it, but that creates opportunity for others too. Flags fly forever, worse teams have cobbled together a playoff effort and won this thing before. 

 

But the thing is that Houston, Cleveland and the Yankees are set-up to dominate for the next few years with the Red Sox as the x factor and maybe the Angels, who have been making improvements like crazy, a dark horse.  (Seattle is trying but they would need a lot of luck to be in the mix in 2018 ... I mean a LOT).  No pennant (let alone a World series flag) is going to fly in Toronto or anywhere else except on those ball parks next year. 

 

The AL is split now into an elite tier with some hangers-on there and the "rest" right now so now is a good time to rebuild since you will be playing a lot of other rebuilding clubs so can have some good games with them for fans to watch instead of wasting this year trying to beat out the O's and TB for third place in the AL East and putting your re-build way behind the curb for 2019.

 

Thanks to the Cubs in 2016 and the Yankees last season and Houston over all, even the most casual fans are getting it about re-builds and prospect watching as almost fun things to see happening and not as a a drag to go through these days.  You PR package it the right way and the fans will be drooling over your studs in the farm system and begging for them to join the show sooner than later.

 

PS:  Okay I forgot about Minnesota which I usually do.  They "seem" to want to go big in the FA market this off season and if they do -- especially with pitching -- they could be another dark horse.  Which is even another reason for Toronto to skip this season and re-build like crazy.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

 

But the thing is that Houston, Cleveland and the Yankees are set-up to dominate for the next few years with the Red Sox as the x factor and maybe the Angels, who have been making improvements like crazy, a dark horse.  (Seattle is trying but they would need a lot of luck to be in the mix in 2018 ... I mean a LOT).  No pennant (let alone a World series flag) is going to fly in Toronto or anywhere else except on those ball parks next year. 

 

The AL is split now into an elite tier with some hangers-on there and the "rest" right now so now is a good time to rebuild since you will be playing a lot of other rebuilding clubs so can have some good games with them for fans to watch instead of wasting this year trying to beat out the O's and TB for third place in the AL East and putting your re-build way behind the curb for 2019.

 

Thanks to the Cubs in 2016 and the Yankees last season and Houston over all, even the most casual fans are getting it about re-builds and prospect watching as almost fun things to see happening and not as a a drag to go through these days.  You PR package it the right way and the fans will be drooling over your studs in the farm system and begging for them to join the show sooner than later.

 

PS:  Okay I forgot about Minnesota which I usually do.  They "seem" to want to go big in the FA market this off season and if they do -- especially with pitching -- they could be another dark horse.  Which is even another reason for Toronto to skip this season and re-build like crazy.

And everyone wrote KC off pre season '13 & '14 the same way you're writing off Tor here. They wouldn't be likely, but all you have to do is get in. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

 

But the thing is that Houston, Cleveland and the Yankees are set-up to dominate for the next few years with the Red Sox as the x factor and maybe the Angels, who have been making improvements like crazy, a dark horse.  (Seattle is trying but they would need a lot of luck to be in the mix in 2018 ... I mean a LOT).  No pennant (let alone a World series flag) is going to fly in Toronto or anywhere else except on those ball parks next year. 

 

The AL is split now into an elite tier with some hangers-on there and the "rest" right now so now is a good time to rebuild since you will be playing a lot of other rebuilding clubs so can have some good games with them for fans to watch instead of wasting this year trying to beat out the O's and TB for third place in the AL East and putting your re-build way behind the curb for 2019.

 

Thanks to the Cubs in 2016 and the Yankees last season and Houston over all, even the most casual fans are getting it about re-builds and prospect watching as almost fun things to see happening and not as a a drag to go through these days.  You PR package it the right way and the fans will be drooling over your studs in the farm system and begging for them to join the show sooner than later.

 

PS:  Okay I forgot about Minnesota which I usually do.  They "seem" to want to go big in the FA market this off season and if they do -- especially with pitching -- they could be another dark horse.  Which is even another reason for Toronto to skip this season and re-build like crazy.

Toronto already has the pitching, even the bullpen has shaped up to be pretty good.  I was an advocater of a rebuild until you mentioned Minnesota should go for it.  I think they should trade JD and Smoak while they have some good value.  Leave the pitching alone and trade for young outfielders and pitching to eventually replace Estrada and Happ.  They don't need to clean house to rebuild.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, TheBoatmen said:

Toronto already has the pitching, even the bullpen has shaped up to be pretty good.  I was an advocater of a rebuild until you mentioned Minnesota should go for it.  I think they should trade JD and Smoak while they have some good value.  Leave the pitching alone and trade for young outfielders and pitching to eventually replace Estrada and Happ.  They don't need to clean house to rebuild.

I've watched the white sox try the whole "rebuild but still try to compete" thing for years. It is baseball hell.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

I've watched the white sox try the whole "rebuild but still try to compete" thing for years. It is baseball hell.

Yeah but it was also filled with a lot "sign this guy for a lot" mixed in there. I think if a team really goes low on payroll and drafts well a rebuild can work.

Link to post
Share on other sites

John Heyman reporting Red Sox, Brewers and Astros in trade talks with the White Sox for Abreu, that would be a huge addition for either one of those teams, the Brewers ans Astos have plenty of prospects to make it happen, not so sure about the Red Sox

Link to post
Share on other sites

As a decades long Fantasy Baseball player, I like most of you are gearing up for my 2018 drafts. I've been looking for tools to help me do this for 20 years, like you surely have, and wanted to get the Board's feedback on a topic here. This is not a solicitation of any kind; I'm not definitely not selling anything whatsoever! But I do want to gauge the interest that other fantasy baseball players might have in a free tool I'm developing, to see if this is something other players might like too.

It let's people save all of their previous MLB games, and log new ones they attend. It provides back the box score and game summary for every game you choose, and then aggregates your own personal stats...the accumulated stats from games you've actually seen. 

My question to you guys:

Would having handy access to specific box scores for individual games help in your decision making for your fantasy squad? (Maybe the better question is, do you base any of your FBB moves not only from the data and projections we all use, but by what you've actually seen in person?) Sometimes just seeing a player's demeanor or body language can give me a lot more info that a stat line never could, or if a P is PISSED to be coming out of a game, vs. simply handing the ball over. That kind of stuff. Which I suppose you can see on TV too...but a lot of that stuff happens when a camera isn't on them or a commercial break is on TV. And I thought it would be cool just to save all the games you've been to for reference and to share with friends. It has taken me a LOT of programming time...though that is my job, so this is definitely a labor of love, not something I plan on making any money from. But I was curious if other hardcore FBB players would like something like this, since we are the most stat oriented fans there are (certainly a LOT more than fantasy football players...an auto-drafted team, on auto-pilot for most of the season, can even win sometimes. FBB? Um, yeahhhh.... :D)

Again, just wondering if you guys think there would be some fantasy value in something like this. Thanks for any responses you'd like to give ~

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place too, don't see how to otherwise

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, azeri98 said:

John Heyman reporting Red Sox, Brewers and Astros in trade talks with the White Sox for Abreu, that would be a huge addition for either one of those teams, the Brewers ans Astos have plenty of prospects to make it happen, not so sure about the Red Sox

 

What?  They aren't dying to have Hanley for a year, heh.

 

1 hour ago, Snapdragons said:

Would having handy access to specific box scores for individual games help in your decision making for your fantasy squad?

 

Sorry but no.  The more stats the better your picture of a player.  If you see someone in person you remember what you see of that guy in that game and not the stats anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, azeri98 said:

John Heyman reporting Red Sox, Brewers and Astros in trade talks with the White Sox for Abreu, that would be a huge addition for either one of those teams, the Brewers ans Astos have plenty of prospects to make it happen, not so sure about the Red Sox

Would really make the Astros a scary lineup. Brewers would admit that the last years moves flopped.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

 

Sorry but no.  The more stats the better your picture of a player.  If you see someone in person you remember what you see of that guy in that game and not the stats anyway.

 

Big Bat, Do you think this would be something cool just on its own? We were thinking it could help us settle bar bets between old friends, and help us relive some great memories too! And kind of help with some of the details...Because I of course remember being at the insane excitement of the David Freese game here in StL, and some of the details....but not all of them. (Who was on base ahead of him? Was that first huge hit a double or triple? That kind of thing) So, I'll always remember the game and being there with friends, but the details seem to get lost... and I was going to try to find a way to tie in (if it can be fairly straightforward) to some sort of database with not only the box scores but maybe some game summary type stuff too. Not sure if I can find that info...but I work as a programmer anyway, and I work on this as a side project during our "outside project" time we get at work each week. Since so many of the guys in my league save our ticket stubs, thought we could go in and save all those games, too ~

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...