NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2017-2018 Off-season and Hot Stove Thread

2ndCitySox

9 hours ago, azeri98 said:

John Heyman reporting Red Sox, Brewers and Astros in trade talks with the White Sox for Abreu, that would be a huge addition for either one of those teams, the Brewers ans Astos have plenty of prospects to make it happen, not so sure about the Red Sox

I've heard the cards too.

6 hours ago, Snapdragons said:

Big Bat, Do you think this would be something cool just on its own? We were thinking it could help us settle bar bets between old friends, and help us relive some great memories too! And kind of help with some of the details...Because I of course remember being at the insane excitement of the David Freese game here in StL, and some of the details....but not all of them. (Who was on base ahead of him? Was that first huge hit a double or triple? That kind of thing) So, I'll always remember the game and being there with friends, but the details seem to get lost... and I was going to try to find a way to tie in (if it can be fairly straightforward) to some sort of database with not only the box scores but maybe some game summary type stuff too. Not sure if I can find that info...but I work as a programmer anyway, and I work on this as a side project during our "outside project" time we get at work each week. Since so many of the guys in my league save our ticket stubs, thought we could go in and save all those games, too ~

I don't know.  I guess.  It would be kind of a cyber scrapbook if I'm catching your drift.  Even if you  just want it that is enough for now and maybe other people will get more interested after you have a working model to show them.  Good luck with your project because the journey making it is just as important as the product itself if it something you have your heart into. If others use it, good.  If you just use it, that's good too because you created something you love and want.  Win-win.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1

Minor transaction:

Diamondbacks acquired RHP Brad Boxberger from the Rays for RHP Curtis Taylor.

Boxberger is entering his second year of salary arbitration and getting a little rich for the cost-conscious Rays, so they've shipped him out for a younger talent. Boxberger, 29, posted a 3.38 ERA, 1.159 WHIP, and 40/11 K/BB ratio in 29 1/3 innings this past year with Tampa Bay. He missed the first three months of the season due to lat and forearm issues.

Boxberger will make a nice set-up guy add for the D-Backs.  Leaves it more a question mark than ever who would close in TB if they trade Colome now though.

Guess who the Yankees want full court press.  Okay not much of a guess.  Rotoworld blurb:

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman confirmed Friday that the club will be aggressive in their pursuit of Shohei Ohtani.

Cashman effectively began his sales pitch to Ohtani when he told reporters Friday that "Ohtani represents the next great talent that’s available in baseball and (the New York) stage is made for players like this." The GM added that he thinks Ohtani is a "perfect fit" for the Yankees and that they would let the Japanese star pitch and hit. The $3.5 million the Yankees have available as a signing bonus to spend on Ohtani is the second-largest amount behind the Rangers' $3.55 million, but money will be a secondary consideration here. Ohtani is ultimately going to go where he wants to play and it's no surprise that many have predicted he'll wind up in pinstripes.
Dec 1 - 9:14 AM

White Sox sign Wellington Castillo, last year I was high on him and loved the landing spot in Baltimore, I was a bit worried when he opted out and while not as cushy as Baltimore in terms of park and probably more so the other parks in the division, the White Sox spot is pretty decent landing for him.  

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, parrothead said:

White Sox sign Wellington Castillo, last year I was high on him and loved the landing spot in Baltimore, I was a bit worried when he opted out and while not as cushy as Baltimore in terms of park and probably more so the other parks in the division, the White Sox spot is pretty decent landing for him.  

He certainly was a good fantasy catcher last year.  Don't know about real life but if I was joining a 30 team fantasy dynasty start-up league with both major league and minor league rights and missed out on the half dozen top teams well the White Sox are getting very tempting to own for the long term and Wellington Castillo helps in the short term.

7 hours ago, parrothead said:

He might have a decent spot in that lineup too.

32 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

The Blue Jays traded Workman to the Cards for Aledmys Diaz

Yeah.  Bridge to Bichette?  Or fill-in for the oft-injured Devon Travis at 2B instead? Oh yeah they still have Tulo too.  I almost forgot about him at this point.

Main thing is one less wildcard to mess with the Paul DeJong being the full time Cardinal SS now.  Official Rotoworld blurb:

Blue Jays acquired INF Aledmys Diaz from the Cardinals for OF J.B. Woodman.

Trading Diaz would have been unthinkable after his breakout season last year, but he hit just .259/.290/.392 in the majors in 2017 and wasn't much better during his time in the minors. The Blue Jays will take a chance on a rebound.

1 hour ago, motown magic said:

I'm not suggesting he's going to play 81 games. I'm saying half the season is in Chicago . 

He was hurt much of the season last year. 

Im saying he won't have the friendly hitters parks he had in the east . 

gotcha, misread your post, my bad.

Edited by Topgun

5 hours ago, motown magic said:

Wellington Castillo

Yeah I had no idea what you were saying at first either since the last couple of posts were about Diaz.  I'm like how does Diaz play all these games in Chicago now that he is in Toronto, haha.

So is this coming week the Winter Meetings or the week following?

5 hours ago, Topgun said:

He caught 96 games last year, why are you thinking 81 games? Maybe Zack Collins will get some time ?

Collins won't be ready until at least 2019. Castillo will get the lion's share of time in a platoon with Omar Narvaez. I'd expect roughly 450 PAs from him this year, so stats should be similar to last year. 

• Like 1

It looks like O'Tani heavily favors the West coast and a non-major market. 

That potentially narrows the field considerably to Seattle, SF (not small, but not an L.A. or NY), and SD. Oakland is out of the running reportedly. The Dodgers could still be in play, and the Cubs could still have a chance as well. 

I have a weird feeling the Giants are going to land him. I'd like to see the Padres get him, because that franchise could use some good fortune. 

mlbtraderumors posted an article in the last couple hours discussing this (citing my source)

Edited by 2ndCitySox

1 hour ago, 2ndCitySox said:

It looks like O'Tani heavily favors the West coast and a non-major market. 

That potentially narrows the field considerably to Seattle, SF (not small, but not an L.A. or NY), and SD. Oakland is out of the running reportedly. The Dodgers could still be in play, and the Cubs could still have a chance as well. 

I have a weird feeling the Giants are going to land him. I'd like to see the Padres get him, because that franchise could use some good fortune. 

mlbtraderumors posted an article in the last couple hours discussing this (citing my source)

Well I wouldn't call the Dodgers and LA a non-major market and they are definitely cited as being heavily in the mix.  Hell, SF is a major market even if it's team is in rebuild mode.  Also the Cubs and Rangers are still in the mix.

26 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

I think San Diego would be the most surprising but they're a very serious dark horse. Giants getting Ohtani and Stanton would be an epic off-season. 

Might even top the offseason where they got Kemp and Shields and were contenders!

edit: Oh man, Does anyone remember Craig Kimbrel was a Padre? Completely blocked that part of his career out of my head. 

Edited by brockpapersizer