• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, ColoWrex said:

Are these idiots really trying to defend the Kiko hit on Flacco?  LOL

5 yrs ago it would not have been an issue - but the NFL has brought this upon themselves by severely punishing similar hits. They are the ones that made an issue out of this sort of hit. Tonight they simply assessed a 15 yd penalty. Other nights they impose suspensions for the same thing.

1 minute ago, handyandy86 said:

If Alonso was just trying to defend the 1st down and was surprised by Flacco's late slide then I'd expect him to have gone high, more or less over Flacco. The fact that he got down that low and drove his arm/elbow into Flacco's head tells me he was making an effort to have Flacco eat it. 

I agree in real time I was thinking "Flacco needs to slide" like 5 yards earlier than he did, so I'm not upset with the contact, but Alonso to me definitely had intent to crush Flacco to the fullest. When you scramble out of the pocket that's what you get, but it's not cool when you're targeting someone's head. 

Easy to say when you're not the one actually hitting someone.

3 minutes ago, ColoWrex said:

Are these idiots really trying to defend the Kiko hit on Flacco?  LOL

Plus when they showed it from that wide-angel birds eye view shot, it looked like Flacco was clearly already in his sliding position before Kiko left his feet..

I get the point they were making, but then the videos they showed kind of contradicted them.

4 minutes ago, owenmills said:

I dropped Collins this week but still not that sad. It's not that I ever doubted his talent, besides his ball security issues. He's just in a crappy situation. They haven't dominated many games like this and probably won't very often. This seems like a trap game similar to what Darkwa did a couple weeks ago. People will start Collins next week and Baltimore will get boat raced and Collins will post his typical line of 12 carries for 50 yards with no catches. 

1/2 ppr settings those 10 pts Collins .. 

I worry about week 8 

3 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

If Alonso was just trying to defend the 1st down and was surprised by Flacco's late slide then I'd expect him to have gone high, more or less over Flacco. The fact that he got down that low and drove his arm/elbow into Flacco's head tells me he was making an effort to have Flacco eat it. 

I agree in real time I was thinking "Flacco needs to slide" like 5 yards earlier than he did, so I'm not upset with the contact, but Alonso to me definitely had intent to crush Flacco to the fullest. When you scramble out of the pocket that's what you get, but it's not cool when you're targeting someone's head. 

Interesting debate. I know the NFL would never make a rule about this, but I will call it the "point of no return". I think the fact that Flacco took those extra few steps before sliding, he went past the point of no return which leaves him open to being hit. Again, if it's a blatant head shot it should be outlawed, but he went in with the shoulder on a guy that's sliding and moving and it was bang bang. It's not like those instances when an D-Lineman takes extra steps and hits the QB on purpose.

4 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

5 yrs ago it would not have been an issue - but the NFL has brought this upon themselves by severely punishing similar hits. They are the ones that made an issue out of this sort of hit. Tonight they simply assessed a 15 yd penalty. Other nights they impose suspensions for the same thing.

Who's to say they won't? They don't hand out suspensions in the middle of the game. I'd give Alonso a 75% chance of a one-game suspension, but a decent chance of having it appealed also. 

2 minutes ago, oresteszero said:

How patient do you have to be? The year is half over lol.

People picked him up around Week 4... so that's 3 weeks of being patient until him blowing up this week.

The stupid play (no offense people... and this isn't directed at you, Ore) is to drop a guy like Collins who has been consistently good in limited action. What's also stupid is dropping him when his usage is going up and he's continuing his strong running.

Lastly, it's stupid to drop him with those two points AND knowing what kind of system Harbaugh installs.

Edited by ponza88

4 minutes ago, Hero202 said:

Plus when they showed it from that wide-angel birds eye view shot, it looked like Flacco was clearly already in his sliding position before Kiko left his feet..

I get the point they were making, but then the videos they showed kind of contradicted them.

Looked to me like Flacco got scared and bailed, putting himself in a worse position than if he had braced for the hit, or dove forward. You can't expect the defender to read your mind every time you choose to slide. We've seen this happen so many times now, it's insane. The flag was deserved and he'll get suspended because of the resulting injury, but QBs have to start making smarter decisions too in my opinion.