Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mookie Betts 2018 Outlook


Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Recommended Posts

Just now, swfcdan said:

Could just tell us?

 

Hit in the back of the shoulder while running from first to second.  Stayed in the game, but was seen flexing his arm after he lined out in his next AB.  He was removed, but likely just as a pre-caution.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a complete list of the games where Mookie has failed to record at least one Run, RBI, or SB:   5/9 5/1 (entered as a defensive replacement, only had 2 AB) 4/26 4/24

Posted Images

This is more serious than the blurb leads on. It is a hand/wrist injury from the odd slide/fall he took after getting hit with the throw. He was in pain and looked uncomfortable grabbing at his wrist. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The Legend MM said:

This is more serious than the blurb leads on. It is a hand/wrist injury from the odd slide/fall he took after getting hit with the throw. He was in pain and looked uncomfortable grabbing at his wrist. 

Well he hit again after that and lined out to center.  So hopefully it’s not too bad.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Well he hit again after that and lined out to center.  So hopefully it’s not too bad.  

Phew, not too worried if he hit after. But still might be an issue, fingers all crossed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

I love having this guy on my team but if it is really the shoulder from getting hit with a throw from a 1B maybe at 65 mph.. yikes. Unless is hit the exact perfect spot, man that is soft. Maybe it was the Sox being overly cautious.. but his durability is concerning me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, IceGoat said:

These removal from game scares are becoming a weekly occurance. Next time, we'll shrug it off and he'll be done for the year. 

 

Amen.  I'm getting a shirt that says, "Fantasy Baseball, not for the faint of heart".

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, KingJoffrey said:

 

 

1.) That's a curious analogy.  Has Trout had a full season  batting .267?  Did Trout ever struggle to hit for power in the minors?  Does Trout stand in at 5 9" 185?  Trout has been more consistently good than Betts.  Betts had 1 "trout like" year before this year.  Not exactly sure what you arguing.

 

2>) No the Red Sox lineup wasn't "good" last year.  It was actually near last in the AL in OPS.  So there was plenty of reason to call for a drop off in counting stats.

 

3) The attention he is getting right now is predicated on the power.  If he finishes with a .300-25-25 100/100 line would that make him a top 5 player?You have to remember that Arenado, Turner, Harper Correa etc are all young and expected to improve.  If Mookie had a current line like .310- 5HR 5 SBs where would that put him on the player rater right now? My guess is nowhere near top 5.

 

4) He was not going to get 100 RBI's batting leadoff without a dramatic increase in HRs.  100 RBIs in leadoff is a very rare thing.

 

5) There are lots and lots of fantasy baseball analysts and writers who project for ESPN, Yahoo and everything else.  There were some that picked him 5 but lots and lots that projected him 8th-11th.

 

6) I didn't say he can't hit 20-25.  I say he can't hit 40.  Or at least he shouldn't be able to do it.  Looks like he will probably do it this year but I'm not going to apologize for not assuming a player can double his career norm.

 

Ya well my posts have more likes than yours in this thread, so you're wrong. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Legend MM said:

I love having this guy on my team but if it is really the shoulder from getting hit with a throw from a 1B maybe at 65 mph.. yikes. Unless is hit the exact perfect spot, man that is soft. Maybe it was the Sox being overly cautious.. but his durability is concerning me. 

I didn't see the play, but avg toss across diamonds at pro level is usually way higher than 65mph. And regardless,  cmon man.  Are we really making the this - guy - is - soft argument. Even at 5 9" he'd probably body slam any 3 posters in here.  It's baseball, ish happens.  

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I did see the play. He fell awkwardly and scraped up his wrist after being hit in the back. All the concern was about the wrist, he was able to grip etc but obviously was still sore. Probably started feeling the shoulder bruise after that wore off. I reckon the combination of the two made it too uncomfortable to continue, but I’m actually very happy they’re referencing the shoulder bruise and not his wrist. Means it’s not serious.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Meisce said:

I did see the play. He fell awkwardly and scraped up his wrist after being hit in the back. All the concern was about the wrist, he was able to grip etc but obviously was still sore. Probably started feeling the shoulder bruise after that wore off. I reckon the combination of the two made it too uncomfortable to continue, but I’m actually very happy they’re referencing the shoulder bruise and not his wrist. Means it’s not serious.

 

I saw it too and he stuck in until through his next AB.  He tried stretching it and moving it as he stayed in.  After the second at bat he realized he couldn't put a good swing on the ball and then and only then the decision was made to pull him.  Dude is one tough guy.  But there is a day off tomorrow and they didn't want to aggravate anything further and they wanted as much recovery time as possible before the big Yankees series starts on Tuesday and they want Mookie ready for it.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, swfcdan said:

2 hits and 2 steals today. Mookie is amazing.

He was too busy drilling XBH for a few weeks that steals were lacking.  Singles and walks come and they come back.  This guy is amazing.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

Another steal... Yeah buddy, get to 10 before the end of the month... show us a 30+SB campaign with 25-35HR. Make the doubters in here (mainly joffery) eat crow.

Joffrey was wrong here.  But I think we’ve been too hard on him.  He takes tough stances on guys.  He took a tough one on Tulo (I believe) a few years ago and was crushed for it and ended up being right.  I think posters like him make the boards good.  They don’t go with popular opinion, they think outside the box in terms of analyzing.  When I analyzed Betts this year I read all the varying opinions and looked into him and found out I really wanted him for a variety of reasons (high floor, bad luck last year - .268 BABIP wasn’t going to repeat, down lineup I expected to rebound, etc).  He looked at things from a different perspective.  It’s been wrong so far but he challenged people to back up their opinon by presenting arguments against and I think it made everyone better for it.  

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Joffrey was wrong here.  But I think we’ve been too hard on him.  He takes tough stances on guys.  He took a tough one on Tulo (I believe) a few years ago and was crushed for it and ended up being right.  I think posters like him make the boards good.  They don’t go with popular opinion, they think outside the box in terms of analyzing.  When I analyzed Betts this year I read all the varying opinions and looked into him and found out I really wanted him for a variety of reasons (high floor, bad luck last year - .268 BABIP wasn’t going to repeat, down lineup I expected to rebound, etc).  He looked at things from a different perspective.  It’s been wrong so far but he challenged people to back up their opinon by presenting arguments against and I think it made everyone better for it.  

I agree on all fronts, but I'm still going to give him a hard time about it. And I hope he throws it back at me when I make the proclamation that Stanton is only going to hit 35HR this year because he cracks under pressure

 

But yeah, 100% posters who go beyond the stats make the board great.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...