NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mookie Betts 2018 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a complete list of the games where Mookie has failed to record at least one Run, RBI, or SB:   5/9 5/1 (entered as a defensive replacement, only had 2 AB) 4/26 4/24

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Kevk44 said:

Yup...tightness in the side...fingers crossed it isn’t oblique.

yankee fan and a non owner this year.   rooting for him to be healthy.  One of my favorite players

Edited by rich22
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, jfazz23 said:

hopefully he had too many drinks last night

cuz oblique injuries SUUUUUUUUCK

If his oblique is indeed hurt I’m having too many drinks tonight.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Cmilne23 said:

If his oblique is indeed hurt I’m having too many drinks tonight.

well its memorial day weekend so you prob wont be alone, especially in Boston area lol

He's like the MLB version of Anthony Davis -- when he plays you know his production is going to be next-level but you always expect some type of weird, minor, nagging injury to crop up. Luckily he can provide a week's worth of production in 4-5 games with regularity.

3 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

hopefully he had too many drinks last night

cuz oblique injuries SUUUUUUUUCK

Agreed.  I hope they don't let him try and play through it and that he is also honest with the team.  Hate to say it, but I would like to see a Marte scenario, where even if the player says he's feeling better they give him a week or so off to get right.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

Agreed.  I hope they don't let him try and play through it and that he is also honest with the team.  Hate to say it, but I would like to see a Marte scenario, where even if the player says he's feeling better they give him a week or so off to get right.

yeah it's a long season no need to rush back take a few weeks off.  They need Betts to be healthy long term to overtake the Yanks

Alex Cora says he won’t play tomorrow and will be re-evaluated.  Felt tightness on side before game.  If you believe in the lord say your prayers tonight.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Mookie Monday’s are becoming tough because he keeps getting hurt on Sunday’s.

Remember when Monday was his big day of the week?   lol   It seemed like 2 years running

Edited by rich22

The Rotowire report doesn't sound as bleak, but I wonder if we should take it with a grain of salt since they didn't even get the manager right:

Red Sox manager John Farrell said Betts (side) "probably" won't play in Monday's series opener against the Blue Jays, Christopher Smith of MassLive.com reports.
Spin: 

Betts sat out Sunday's 7-1 loss to the Braves due to left side tightness, an injury that cropped up shortly before the game began. Though Betts is being labeled as day-to-day, the Red Sox are understandably taking the long view with their star and seem inclined to give him at least another day to get over the issue. Unless the Red Sox suggest Betts' condition has taken a turn for the worse Monday, the outfielder still looks on track to avoid the disabled list and return to the Boston lineup at some point during the week.

• Haha 1
11 minutes ago, IceGoat said:

The Rotowire report doesn't sound as bleak, but I wonder if we should take it with a grain of salt since they didn't even get the manager right:

Red Sox manager John Farrell said Betts (side) "probably" won't play in Monday's series opener against the Blue Jays, Christopher Smith of MassLive.com reports.
Spin: 

Betts sat out Sunday's 7-1 loss to the Braves due to left side tightness, an injury that cropped up shortly before the game began. Though Betts is being labeled as day-to-day, the Red Sox are understandably taking the long view with their star and seem inclined to give him at least another day to get over the issue. Unless the Red Sox suggest Betts' condition has taken a turn for the worse Monday, the outfielder still looks on track to avoid the disabled list and return to the Boston lineup at some point during the week.

Considering Alex Cora is the manager, not Farrell, I will wait to see tomorrow.  Also read on the blurb from MLB.com that he felt tight when getting loose inside, not something from a swing necessarily.  Hoping this is just a minor issue.

Edited by BigPapi44

You can listen to post game interview.  Cora basically said he found out close to game time that Betts felt something in oblique, they’ll see how he feels tomorrow and won’t push it aka he’s out tomorrow, and then reevaluate.  Hopefully our worst case is Marte DL stint for oblique that was similar in being minor and only missed minimum stint.  And best case hopefully he’s back in a few days.  Anything worse than that put me on liver transplant list now and get this thing started.

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Latest News

May 28, 8:51 AM BRT

Betts (side) could return to action Tuesday, Evan Drellich of NBC Sports Boston reports.

Analysis

Manager Alex Cora said Betts is improving and confirmed that his side injury is not an intercostal or oblique injury. The manager added that it's "just tightness" and the team is wary of pushing him.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

Latest News

Betts (side) could return to action Tuesday, Evan Drellich of NBC Sports Boston reports.

Analysis

Manager Alex Cora said Betts is improving and confirmed that his side injury is not an intercostal or oblique injury. The manager added that it's "just tightness" and the team is wary of pushing him.

Praise be! It’s only a matter of time until one of these couple day DTD gets him for longer. Stay healthy young man 

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

Latest News

Analysis

Out of curiosity for any Physiotherapist/Doctors/Medical Professionals, how do you have a 'side injury' and have it not be an intercostal or oblique?

I swear it feels like he hasnt played on a Monday all season. I miss my Mookie mondays.

1 minute ago, Trifecta said:

I swear it feels like he hasnt played on a Monday all season. I miss my Mookie mondays.

Fine by me so long as every other day of the week is Mookie Monday now.