NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mookie Betts 2018 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

9 minutes ago, Tugginroot said:

Last to go 40/40 was Soriano?!

I dont think Betts can get close to 40 in either, and this is coming from a guy who took him 4th

I pegged him for 25/30 but 120 runs and a .310+ avg

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a complete list of the games where Mookie has failed to record at least one Run, RBI, or SB:   5/9 5/1 (entered as a defensive replacement, only had 2 AB) 4/26 4/24

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

I'm saying the 20 something range wouldn't crack 30

He's already cracked 30 in his career though.

He could pretty easily do that again if his BABIP luck rights itself from last year's weird dip.

Edited by Philoumenos

Coming into the season I had Mookie ranked 6th behind Trout, Altuve, Arenado, Harper, and Blackmon because I felt he was one of the few players who had a legitimate shot at hitting 30 HRs and stealing 25 bags. I still stand by that and given his hot start I feel like 30 HR is a very attainable number, especially with the way Cora has changed the way the Sox approach an at bat. It's talked about on nearly every one of their broadcasts. He wants them to be more aggressive like the Astros were last year and continue to be this year. In situations like the 1st pitch fastball or a fastball on a 3-1 or 3-0 count Cora wants his guys swinging. This is a completely different hitting approach than what Mookie has been told to take throughout his Sox career because Farrell always wanted them to work the pitch count and get the starter out early. I think this in addition to the progression back to his normal numbers will put Mookie somehwere between 30-32 HRs this year. 

• Like 1

I could care less how many home runs he hits because he’s still gonna get us 100 runs, 25 steals, and bat over .300.

That’s why we drafted him. 

Every scrub in the league is hitting 25 bombs nowadays. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, BostonCajun said:

Coming into the season I had Mookie ranked 6th behind Trout, Altuve, Arenado, Harper, and Blackmon because I felt he was one of the few players who had a legitimate shot at hitting 30 HRs and stealing 25 bags. I still stand by that and given his hot start I feel like 30 HR is a very attainable number, especially with the way Cora has changed the way the Sox approach an at bat. It's talked about on nearly every one of their broadcasts. He wants them to be more aggressive like the Astros were last year and continue to be this year. In situations like the 1st pitch fastball or a fastball on a 3-1 or 3-0 count Cora wants his guys swinging. This is a completely different hitting approach than what Mookie has been told to take throughout his Sox career because Farrell always wanted them to work the pitch count and get the starter out early. I think this in addition to the progression back to his normal numbers will put Mookie somehwere between 30-32 HRs this year. 

I think you forgot 1 Goldy

I had it Trout, Goldy, Altuve, Betts, Arenado, Harper

When you see him play like this...it's easy to understand why people consider him a Top-5 talent in baseball, and rightfully so.

Got him at #9 in one of my drafts and feel like I absolutely stole him.

Not sure where he'll end up SB wise, but he's got a legit chance at scoring 130+ Runs, hitting 25+ HRs, and stealing 20+ Bases. Couple that with a .300+ BA, likely 90+ RBI, and less than 80 K's (if you're league does K's), he's going to lead a lot of people to the ship.

39 minutes ago, Triple Short Of a Cycle said:

So where was this Mookie last year?

Still putting the ball in play, just not getting a lot of luck. BABIP of .268. Even then he finished last year with a line of .264/.344/.459 and counting stats of 24/101/102/26. He was still really good last year, he just missed expectations. This year he seems of track to exceed, as crazy as that may sound. He's back in 2016 form.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Triple Short Of a Cycle said:

So where was this Mookie last year?

He was right there under our noses.  THIS is why I analyze the numbers.  Well documented wrist injury sapping the power.  Bad bad luck on balls in play and it all pointed to Mookie being way better this year.  He showed major growth in plate discipline last year, which I argued usually leads to a power surge.  The wrist injury likely limited that surge, but the gains in plate discipline were real.

If you go back and read my posts on page 1 and 2 in this thread (especially page 2), I was pretty high on Mookie having his best year yet and was making those arguments. 

Edited by The Czar
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, The Czar said:

He was right there under our noses.  THIS is why I analyze the numbers.  Well documented wrist injury sapping the power.  Bad bad luck on balls in play and it all pointed to Mookie being way better this year.  He showed major growth in plate discipline last year, which I argued usually leads to a power surge.  The wrist injury likely limited that surge, but the gains in plate discipline were real.

If you go back and read my posts on page 1 and 2 in this thread (especially page 2), I was pretty high on Mookie having his best year yet and was making those arguments. 

I don't disagree here,  but the IFFB problem was there last year to drive that avg down.  And it's still there,  he's just currently pulling for so much power we don't notice it.  But those ate auto outs essentially,  can't ignore it