NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Pau Gasol 2017-2018 Season Outlook

chaiway

Now what do all of you have to say about pau shouldn't be getting major minutes and a major role? He proves this virtually every time he is allowed to play major minutes and a major role. He was just an All-Star a season and a half ago. I don't know who is more retarded, pop for completely misusing him since he became a Spur or pau for actually re-signing with the Spurs after the way he was misused last year. Everybody is nuts over there.

So of course everyone sat him because he was questionable and was going to play just a handful of minutes today and he ends up with over 30 minutes and a triple double. And of course everyone's going to start him next game and pop is going to play him 12 minutes and pau is going to have zeo ponts and 1 rebound.

Edited by magic32

3 hours ago, magic32 said:

Now what do all of you have to say about pau shouldn't be getting major minutes and a major role? He proves this virtually every time he is allowed to play major minutes and a major role. He was just an All-Star a season and a half ago. I don't know who is more retarded, pop for completely misusing him since he became a Spur or pau for actually re-signing with the Spurs after the way he was misused last year. Everybody is nuts over there.

Are you joking? Pop doesn't care about fantasy stats. The Spurs are 3rd in the West with an underwhelming roster that's missed Kawhi until recently. He is managing Pau's minutes and leading them to a good record in the process. He's concerned with positioning them for the post-season, not getting Pau a triple double so you can win your weekly h2h matchup. I would also love Pau to get more minutes as I own him in 2 leagues, but I'm pretty sure Pop knows what he's doing. He's got 5 championship rings. How many do you have?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, magic32 said:

So of course everyone sat him because he was questionable and was going to play just a handful of minutes today and he ends up with over 30 minutes and a triple double. And of course everyone's going to start him next game and pop is going to play him 12 minutes and pau is going to have zeo ponts and 1 rebound.

Not this guy

The one time weekly-lock lineups actually helped me!

7 hours ago, LuSamSiam said:

Are you joking? Pop doesn't care about fantasy stats. The Spurs are 3rd in the West with an underwhelming roster that's missed Kawhi until recently. He is managing Pau's minutes and leading them to a good record in the process. He's concerned with positioning them for the post-season, not getting Pau a triple double so you can win your weekly h2h matchup. I would also love Pau to get more minutes as I own him in 2 leagues, but I'm pretty sure Pop knows what he's doing. He's got 5 championship rings. How many do you have?

Yet again i have to explain thst it is NOT about fantasy. Its about a coach misusing a player by giving him few minutes and an insignificant role. What pop excels in is his Playbook and getting the most out of Scrubs. He has never been good with substitutions and it cost him an NBA championship as I showed the other day. Of course it would work out in fantasy but where did I mention anything about fantasy implications? That's just you assuming and that's wrong. The bottom line is Pao is still able to put up great numbers if given proper role and significant minutes and pop has never done that since Pao came to the Spurs. In the very rare occasions that he's able to play normal starter minutes and given a proper role he has always excelled. 

9 minutes ago, magic32 said:

Yet again i have to explain thst it is NOT about fantasy. Its about a coach misusing a player by giving him few minutes and an insignificant role. What pop excels in is his Playbook and getting the most out of Scrubs. He has never been good with substitutions and it cost him an NBA championship as I showed the other day. Of course it would work out in fantasy but where did I mention anything about fantasy implications? That's just you assuming and that's wrong. The bottom line is Pao is still able to put up great numbers if given proper role and significant minutes and pop has never done that since Pao came to the Spurs. In the very rare occasions that he's able to play normal starter minutes and given a proper role he has always excelled. 

Good numbers in terms of fantasy,come on pau is 37 years old and liability on the floor in lot of matchups,credit to spurs team and superior defensive culture that is able

to mask his weakness..He might have great numbers on a tanking team even Nowitzki and Zbo have great stats this season and there is a reason for it,hawks and kings dont have to win games

The only player that's Pau's age (37) or older and plays more minutes that Pau's 25 is Dirk Nowitzki and he plays a whopping 25.4 minutes a game

Actually among all players 34 and older only Dirk's played more total minutes this year than Gasol

Edited by My Dinner With Andre

2 hours ago, magic32 said:

He has never been good with substitutions and it cost him an NBA championship as I showed the other day.

Tim Duncan is one of my favorite players to have ever laced 'em up, but at that point in his career, he could not switch on the perimeter and cover guards. In a situation  where The Heat needed a 3-pointer, Diaw was the better play. What you are saying, in effect, is that a coach who was better at substitutions should have preferred that the first shot go in than his team not get the rebound.

Edited by Meadowlark

17 hours ago, magic32 said:

It's not a matter of whether Pau can still play.  That's obvious when given the opportunity, but he doesn't get to anymore on a consistent basis.  It had gotten bad enough not that long ago that I stopped using him.

It's actually tempting to attempt to sell high (however much you really think that means), since he's actually had two very good games and will likely go back to struggling to even score 10 points and get more than 20 minutes soon enough again.

15 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

The only player that's Pau's age (37) or older and plays more minutes that Pau's 25 is Dirk Nowitzki and he plays a whopping 25.4 minutes a game

Actually among all players 34 and older only Dirk's played more total minutes this year than Gasol

So? who cares. if a guy can produce, you leave him on the floor. He doesn't need to play 40 minutes but he doesn't need to play 15 either. 

20 hours ago, chaiway said:

Pop... 2nd night of a back to back... i wish he would just hold him out rather than play him so little

ah makes sense

19 hours ago, magic32 said:

Of course i played him tonight cause last time i sat him pop decided to play him and he had a triple double on my bench. You just gotta love fantasy...

ikr

11 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Lol is this Pau's way of telling Pop he doesn't want to play in b2b's?

oh not like this

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, magic32 said:

Did pop get thrown out of a game again? How did Pau get big minutes?  even when Lamarcus doesn't play pop still manages to hold back pau. What a shock, Pau gets big minutes and provides big numbers. Just shocking!

Pau's been well rested, coming off the bench the last few games.

I hope he plays big minutes again to tonight!

• 3 weeks later...

Yet again, Gasol gets regular starter minutes and puts up a monster line. But of course Pop is a genius, so it's ok to excuse him for making Pau a useless rotational bench player and play him 15 minutes in a game regularly...

Edited by magic32

• 3 weeks later...