NBC Sports EDGE Forums

David Nwaba 2017-2018 Season Outlook

DoctorLove

Do you guys know much about this guy?  Started last night, got 24 minutes, and had four points, 11 boards, one assist, one steal, and two blocks.

Bulls are going nowhere fast, so is Nwaba looking at possibly sticking in the rotation?  Does he offer any upside?  Gotta say I don't know anything about this dude.

3 hours ago, Trench Mob said:

I have no idea who tf is this. But **** it... Look at those minutes. Gotta pickup to see if this is anything. 

G-Leaguer who was with Lakers 2nd half of last season. Lakers waived him to make room for KCP. Great defender, not so great offensively 

On 11/2/2017 at 9:07 AM, DoctorLove said:

Do you guys know much about this guy?  Started last night, got 24 minutes, and had four points, 11 boards, one assist, one steal, and two blocks.

Bulls are going nowhere fast, so is Nwaba looking at possibly sticking in the rotation?  Does he offer any upside?  Gotta say I don't know anything about this dude.

I see a lot of you guys touting Nwaba. He's worth an add in some leagues, and definitely some team makeups. I watched him plenty on the Lakers and studied up prior to his callup. He's a good energy guy, but temper your expectations. You may be looking at his ranks for the past week. They're artificially inflated by his steal numbers (which are elite, and possibly sustainable, but probably not) and the 0 turnovers (obviously not sustainable). Don't drop anything you'll regret later. 

4 hours ago, miasma16 said:

I see a lot of you guys touting Nwaba. He's worth an add in some leagues, and definitely some team makeups. I watched him plenty on the Lakers and studied up prior to his callup. He's a good energy guy, but temper your expectations. You may be looking at his ranks for the past week. They're artificially inflated by his steal numbers (which are elite, and possibly sustainable, but probably not) and the 0 turnovers (obviously not sustainable). Don't drop anything you'll regret later. 

Would you drop Rozier in a 14 man league for nwaba? 9 cat roto

I've liked him since the Laker stint. Great back story. Just getting to Cal Poly San Luis Obispo was a big achievement for him.

The knock that has kept him out of the NBA has been his poor shot, but he's been working on it. Even can jack up and make a 3 on occasion. He is a tweener, which is a bad thing to be. His game is Forward, but his height is SG at 6'4". An SG who can't shoot. So that explains the lack of NBA interest in the past.

But he is not a scorer and that's not why you or the Bulls can use him. He is a bulldog on defense, and very aggressive in getting offensive boards too. In the Draymond/RoCo mold. Just has more motor than everyone else on the court. He can get 1.5 stls and 1.5 blks. That team has huge holes and he can easily get 30 minutes with only Zipster for competition at the 3.

That said, it's very early. Who knows what will happen after just 1.5 starts. But I put him on my team 2 days ago so I could find out while owning him, and have not regretted that at all. Tonight's game will tell us a lot more.

20 minutes ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

I've liked him since the Laker stint. Great back story. Just getting to Cal Poly San Luis Obispo was a big achievement for him.

The knock that has kept him out of the NBA has been his poor shot, but he's been working on it. Even can jack up and make a 3 on occasion. He is a tweener, which is a bad thing to be. His game is Forward, but his height is SG at 6'4". An SG who can't shoot. So that explains the lack of NBA interest in the past.

But he is not a scorer and that's not why you or the Bulls can use him. He is a bulldog on defense, and very aggressive in getting offensive boards too. In the Draymond/RoCo mold. Just has more motor than everyone else on the court. He can get 1.5 stls and 1.5 blks. That team has huge holes and he can easily get 30 minutes with only Zipster for competition at the 3.

That said, it's very early. Who knows what will happen after just 1.5 starts. But I put him on my team 2 days ago so I could find out while owning him, and have not regretted that at all. Tonight's game will tell us a lot more.

He's 6'4", he's not getting 1.5 blocks o_O rest of your post, we're on the same page

8 minutes ago, MynameisMudd said:

I think Nwaba is the sound one makes when blocking a shot, so........I think 1.5 is possible. 

You might be new around fantasy basketball, but as just a heads up - he won't be averaging that.

Things like block rate percentage, per 36s and raw stats are fluky in very small sample sizes. 

What is not fluky is historical data and trends. Across almost 60 seasons since they've started tracking blocks as a statistic, the highest number averaged by anyone 6'4 or under that qualifies is Wade, at 1.3 blocks per game 5 years ago.

There's been somewhere around the realm of slightly under 10,000 NBA players since then. 

Something like .5 - .6 is far more likely. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Soafanforlife said:

You might be new around fantasy basketball, but as just a heads up - he won't be averaging that.

Things like block rate percentage, per 36s and raw stats are fluky in very small sample sizes. 

What is not fluky is historical data and trends. Across almost 60 seasons since they've started tracking blocks as a statistic, the highest number averaged by anyone 6'4 or under that qualifies is Wade, at 1.3 blocks per game 5 years ago.

There's been somewhere around the realm of slightly under 10,000 NBA players since then. 

Something like .5 - .6 is far more likely. 

It was all for the joke.  Guess I need to go back to comedy school.