NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ozzie Albies 2018 Outlook

brockpapersizer

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, the hype is unreal. I have him in a couple leagues as a super cheap keeper. People keep contacting me to trade for him, but I just keep saying “man, I’m prob too high on him, but it’ll take an elite player to pry him from me. I know it sounds unreasonable but I’m not moving him for Wil Myers or Justin Upton.”

partly, they’re just not my sorta guys, but partly I just love the upside. If it doesn’t pan out, it’s ok. I like the high upside guys so I get way ahead when a couple of them hit. 

Hype trains maybe getting a little wild here. Upside is there but he is still green. 2B is sort of a mine field after the top guys are gone, so I could see taking a gamble, just make sure you hedge your Ozzie bet with a stable backup.

2 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

November 

ckixzx.jpg

Seriously though, the hype is probably getting a bit out of hand, but in a keeper league it doesn't really matter.  I have him, believe what I gave up to get him last season was worth it, and now I'll just sit back and see how good he becomes.

5 hours ago, scottishguy said:

Gonna be a late 2nd rounder next year take that to the bank!

the first 3 rounds are so flush with talent, he'd need to go .285-95-18-65-35 to sniff that high. AKA "completely ball out". I love the enthusiasm though. Ozzie is freakin awesome. 

4 hours ago, nittanychris said:

So many rookies get over the top hype. This guy seems to be the real deal. The game doesn't seem too big for him right NOW.

Would not shock me if he goes 17 HRs, 25 SBs with 90 Runs or so.

I'm all aboard!

that's part of why I love him. It's not just the skills or the elite speed... he just oozes confidence and polish. He feels extremely safe to me. which is weird for a rook.

He's got all the intangibles, and best of all he just puts the bat on the ball - which is exactly what you want from a guy with 30+ steal speed. 

2 hours ago, countseth said:

Yeah, the hype is unreal. I have him in a couple leagues as a super cheap keeper. People keep contacting me to trade for him, but I just keep saying “man, I’m prob too high on him, but it’ll take an elite player to pry him from me. I know it sounds unreasonable but I’m not moving him for Wil Myers or Justin Upton.”

partly, they’re just not my sorta guys, but partly I just love the upside. If it doesn’t pan out, it’s ok. I like the high upside guys so I get way ahead when a couple of them hit. 

I had to decide between Albies or Nola as my last keeper this offseason. Literally everyone I asked said Nola... but I just couldn't do it - especially given the inherent riskiness of pitchers. Nola could be a low-end SP1... but I think Albies is special. And in a keep-forever league, if it turns out I'm right, I get an elite, speedy second baseman for years and years. I could have kept Nola and tried to aggressively draft Albies, but I didn't want to risk it. 

Which is another way of saying.... I'm all in. And lemme tell you, it wasn't love at first sight. I've been watching him since the minors and he is an acquired taste. He is like... IPA or something. Maybe brie cheese. But once you see what he is all about... there isn't much not to like. He's even going to surprise people with his power, considering his physical frame. 

I don't want to drive the hype train too hard, because that sets us up for unmet expectations... but I think in a year or three he'll be one of the most coveted keepers in all of fantasy baseball. In a keeper, would I trade him for an inconsistent power threat like Wil Myers or Justin Upton? No chance.  Not only do I think Albies has significantly higher upside, when Upton is 40 years old, Albies will be 31. 

Contact Hitter: Check

Speed for Days: Check

Surprising Power: Check

Success above his age level: Check

Albies is going to be goooood.  His swing is so balanced and compact.  He connects his lower body to the release of the bat and the ball just flies off the barrel.  Take a look at these two homers in last weekend's game....just beautiful.

9 hours ago, DConny1 said:

I tend to think his floor is pretty high, and obviously his upside is catastrophic. I'd say his bare minimum floor for this year is .265avg/.320obp/80R/10HR/22SB. 

Not chance in hell he hits 265, this guy is a fippin sroker!

We can argue 10 homers, 15, 18 or 25 steals, 30 or more etc...... but the BA is 280+ no doubt

1 hour ago, STLSU said:

Crazy to think how good the Braves may be by perhaps next year, after most everyone wrote them off for dead after "ProspectGate."

I've heard that "prospect gate" will start hurting the Braves will be three/four years down the road from the prospects they lost this year, draft picks, and so forth. The only real hit for this year is the farm system took a hit and will for some years to come.

4 hours ago, peelpub94 said:

Try and say Ozzie Albies without smiling :)

I can't very often since I own him.  It should be a fun ride.

I know I've said it before on here, but I'm really glad I made a point to trade a draft pick for him late last season in my keeper league.  I had to trade somebody else to make room for him amongst my keepers then, but oh well.

2 hours ago, jdbob11 said:

2 for 14 against some pretty terrible pitching (save for Nola) isnt what I was expecting out of this series. 

Neither was I, but at least he's done something in two of the games even though he's been otherwise horrible.  This thread will be much more positive again soon enough.

Archived