NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Waiver Wire Touts - Week 4

phatrat

The week 4 Waiver Wire Touts thread, is for naming Waiver Wire pickups for the week and beyond. General player discussion belongs in player threads.

Add/Drop questions, How do you rank these guys, Who should I pickup?, etc...

Those type of questions need to be posted in the Assistant Coach Forum.

Cool Stories, belong in the 2017-2018 Cool Story Bro

Thanks!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Emmanuel Mudiay too. Say what you want about him, but he arguably been out-performing Murray in the early going.

At least if you're punting turnovers and field goal percentage or in a points league. He's been averaging 26 FPTS during the past week and 21 during the season in points leagues.

Edited by Trench Mob

Guys you should add / put on your watch list / streamable right now:

Patty Mills (16% owned) over the last 7 days is ranked 106 and averaging:

42% FG, no FTA impact, 2.5 3s, 11.8 ppg, 2 boards, 3.8 assists, .5 steals, and .8 turnovers

If you need a guard who can light it up from deep and be a cheap source of assists, he's your guy as a short-term streamer until Tony Parker returns some time in December. 

Bryn Forbes (0% owned) over the last 7 days is ranked 116 and averaging:

57% FG, 80% FT, 1.8 3's, 12 ppg, 1.8 boards, 2 assists, .5 steals, and .5 TO

He's gotten some minutes in blowouts, he's playing SG mostly. Don't add this guy, but definitely keep him on your watch list. He was praised by Rudy Gay for his abilities, lit up summer league, and is starting to show he can produce.

Luke Babbit (3% owned) over the last 7 days is ranked 53 and averaging:

32 mpg, 57% FG, no FTA impact, 3.3 3's, 15 ppg, 3.7 boards, 1 assist, .7 steals, .3 blocks, .7 TO

Obscure career journeymen types producing on bad teams is not a new concept. He could legitimately be a solid WW pick up type the rest of the way if the minutes are there. They have a lot of injuries, they really lack scoring anywhere on the roster, and this might clear the way for Babbit to finally get a decent role. He's had 3 very good games in a row, and he may just keep the starting gig at this pace. I haven't added him because I don't really need what he brings, but if you want a cheap source of scoring and 3's out of your SF spot, he could be your guy. Worth a flier, especially in deep leagues.

Dewayne Dedmon (31% owned) over the last 7 days is ranked 160 and averaging:

22 mpg, 60% FG, 75% FT, .3 3's, 11.3 ppg, 7.7 boards, .7 blocks, 2 TO

He's not going to jump off the page stats wise, but he's a high floor low ceiling big man. Perfect way to round out your roster with a third Center, especially considering how poor C's are on the wire, and how many volatile C's there are who didn't hit their mark at all this year (Hernangomez, Monroe, Thon Maker, Skal to name a few due to their situations). There are basically a handful of productive C's that you can count on one hand, so having a stable big man who can hit that 10/7 1 block mark with good %'s every game is valuable imo.

Denzel Valentine (6% owned) over the last 7 days is ranked 77 and averaging:

24 mpg, 46% FG, no FTA impact, 2.7 3's, 11 ppg, 4.3 boards, 2.3 assists, 1 steal, 1 TO

Sneakily my favorite add right now. I just got him on my roster for this week and I'll be holding for a few games to see how it goes. He can play 3 positions, he's even backing up PG some from what I'm reading online (haven't watched any Bulls games). He's only a 2nd year player (although he's old for his draft class and is about to turn 25), had a decent summer league, a good preseason. Nwaba went down with an ankle injury, LaVine is not back yet, and the fact he can average these stats on a per-minute basis gives him a solid floor with room for more if his minutes grow. Another guy to watch/add on a bad team who has potential for multi-cat lines. He's 6'6 with a 6'10+ wingspan. In college he was a great all around rebounder / playmaker / 3 point shooter. What I like with him is that he's not only elite at 3's, but he can actually gives you something else (statistically reminiscent of Evan Turner with 3 point shooting), which separates him from guys like CJ Miles.

I don't think he's being talked about enough right now / nor monitored. RW did two columns the past few days for pickups and he wasn't even mentioned (however he was just mentioned on a BBM column today as a good pick up).

Keep an eye on Bobby Portis as well now that he's back. He could be a post-hype sleeper (looked incredible in SL two years ago), he has room for minutes on this roster, and Robin Lopez doesn't fit the growth picture - so they may eventually ship him off and employ more small ball lineups with Portis / Markkanen.

10 hours ago, Lifschitz said:

Keep an eye on Bobby Portis as well now that he's back. He could be a post-hype sleeper (looked incredible in SL two years ago), he has room for minutes on this roster, and Robin Lopez doesn't fit the growth picture - so they may eventually ship him off and employ more small ball lineups with Portis / Markkanen.

They won't trade Lopez, they need a big.

2 hours ago, pilkie01 said:

They have Felicio who they haven't gotten to develop. Mirotic can play PF behind Markkanen, and they can play Portis at PF / C split. Pick up a cheap Center from the g-league, there's always some talented unknown Centers floating around there (like a Walter Tavares). That's only of course if Mirotic / Portis can put aside their differences.

There is zero purpose for this team to be playing Robin Lopez, this is just like how the Kings are giving Zach Randolph run. Even if they keep Lopez, they should lower his minutes to give other guys development time. 

Edited by Lifschitz

6 hours ago, trusthaprocess said:

Jonathon Simmons anyone?

The ship has sailed on guys like Simmons, Dinwiddie, etc. Most of these guys are jumping into 40% - 50% ownership, which represents most competitive leagues in reality, since 90%+ ownership usually extends out to public throw-away leagues where most people don't care about their rosters, so they won't make pick ups. 

I think we need to keep the wire touting exclusively to guys who would actually be available in most leagues and have season long upside.

If you don't know about Simmons by now or haven't picked him up, then likely your league isn't competitive or you're simply new to fantasy (generally speaking). 

Edited by Lifschitz

14 hours ago, Lifschitz said:

The ship has sailed on guys like Simmons, Dinwiddie, etc. Most of these guys are jumping into 40% - 50% ownership, which represents most competitive leagues in reality, since 90%+ ownership usually extends out to public throw-away leagues where most people don't care about their rosters, so they won't make pick ups. 

I think we need to keep the wire touting exclusively to guys who would actually be available in most leagues and have season long upside.

If you don't know about Simmons by now or haven't picked him up, then likely your league isn't competitive or you're simply new to fantasy (generally speaking). 

Someone dropped him, I didn't pick him up. I mentioned him because his ownership is dropping again. It's gone down by 10% in 3 days. 

3 hours ago, night said:

Valentine anyone? A few straight solid games for him 

He is benefiting from the absense of Nwaba. He seems solid for about 1 more month, then lavine is gonna come back.

• phatrat locked and unpinned this topic