Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Colin Kaepernick 2017 Season Outlook


Message added by tonycpsu

Thread locked until further notice.  Quoting jbshaw from the last time:


 

Quote

 

Due to the large number of posts violating the Code of Conduct, despite multiple warnings from multiple mods, this thread has been locked to give people time to cool off.  The thread will be reopened if there is any football relevant developments regarding Kaepernick.  If there is a legitimate development and the thread remains locked, contact one of the moderators about potentially unlocking the thread.

 

Any attempt to circumvent the lock by creating a new thread or hijacking another player's thread will be met with lengthy suspensions.

 

 

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, MariGOATA said:

 

Why is it so personal tho.......these guys play one game a week......what they do the other six is their buisness.....lol

Not when you work for a company, especially one like the NFL.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, dabeesta17 said:

 

Telemarketers, whether selling flood insurance or Vegas vacation packages, are replaceable with any human being sitting outside the building drinking a 40. There are maybe 70-75 human beings capable of playing QB at a decent level in the NFL; and that's being generous. NFL starting QB is one of the hardest jobs in the world.

 

What charity did Kaepernick raise money for during NFL games? The answer is, he didn't raise any money for any charities. You're just making s*** up as you go along.

 

Are there any laws that specify NFL teams must hire the best available players to fill their roster? Who determines who is capable of playing QB at a decent level in the NFL? Do you believe NFL teams should be allowed to decide for themselves who they feel is best for their team?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MJJ28 said:

 

Are there any laws that specify NFL teams must hire the best available players to fill their roster? Who determines who is capable of playing QB at a decent level in the NFL? Do you believe NFL teams should be allowed to decide for themselves who they feel is best for their team?

 

 

 

Teams can sign whatever player they want but quit feeding us full of crap. Be honest why you will or won't sign a player. There's just so much stupid crap being said and way too much hypocrisy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

 

Teams can sign whatever player they want but quit feeding us full of crap. Be honest why you will or won't sign a player. There's just so much stupid crap being said and way too much hypocrisy. 

 

Good post. I agree with you. If teams came out and said they don't want him because his demonstrations create unnecessary distraction and his play does not make up for it, most reasonable people would understand.

Edited by MJJ28
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, MJJ28 said:

 

Are there any laws that specify NFL teams must hire the best available players to fill their roster? Who determines who is capable of playing QB at a decent level in the NFL? Do you believe NFL teams should be allowed to decide for themselves who they feel is best for their team?

 

 

 

The football field determines who is most capable of playing in the NFL. Its the ultimate job that sheer ability to do it gives you an advantage. Daddy can get you a college scholarship, but can't buy people into NFL starting QB spots. I'd say Kaepernick is top 30 of all human beings on Earth capable of playing QB in the NFL right now. Thus he should be playing in the NFL. There's no excuse for the Browns, the Texans, and the Rams to not be trying to win games now with Kaepernick. All those teams need is an efficient QB that doesn't turn the ball over and can make big plays here and there. The running games and defense should care of the rest.

 

Yes, I do believe NFL teams should be and are allowed to decide who they feel is best for their team. Harbaugh and Newsome want Kaepernick; But Bisciotti "asked the fans and God" instead of doing what the team thought was best.

 

Edited by dabeesta17
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, dabeesta17 said:

 

The football field determines who is most capable of playing in the NFL. Its the ultimate job that sheer ability to do it gives you an advantage. Daddy can get you a college scholarship, but can't buy people into NFL starting QB spots. I'd say Kaepernick is top 30 of all human beings on Earth capable of playing QB in the NFL right now. Thus he should be playing in the NFL. There's no excuse for the Browns, the Texans, and the Rams to not be trying to win games now with Kaepernick. All those teams need is an efficient QB that doesn't turn the ball over and can make big plays here and there. The running games and defense should care of the rest.

 

Yes, I do believe NFL teams should be and are allowed to decide who they feel is best for their team. Harbaugh and Newsome want Kaepernick; But Bisciotti "asked the fans and God" instead of doing what the team thought was best.

 

 

Wrong. The owners do. The NFL is run by the owners and for the owners. If they do not want Kaepernick on their team, that is their right. If Kaepernick feels he was discriminated against, he can take that up in the court of law. Until that happens, fans are free to vote with their wallets. If those who believe Kaepernick is being treated unfairly do not act on those beliefs, they have nobody to blame but themselves.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MJJ28 said:

 

Wrong. The owners do. The NFL is run by the owners and for the owners. If they do not want Kaepernick on their team, that is their right. If Kaepernick feels he was discriminated against, he can take that up in the court of law. Until that happens, fans are free to vote with their wallets. If those who believe Kaepernick is being treated unfairly do not act on those beliefs, they have nobody to blame but themselves.

 

So the check writers of the NFL will place their best friend's son at starting QB as a favor in lieu of winning? Sometimes I think that's how Hackenberg has a job, but obviously the Jets suck so it doesn't really matter for them this year. Kaepernick hasn't said anything about being discriminated against. Just more spontaneous "facts" that the hate crowd keeps bringing forth. He's enjoying watching this play out...watching the NFL get exposed for what it is: a good 'ol boys club, like the NCAA and those people making billions while college football and basketball players (who are the revenue-makers) get in legal trouble for accepting $5 for their autograph.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dabeesta17 said:

 

So the check writers of the NFL will place their best friend's son at starting QB as a favor in lieu of winning? Sometimes I think that's how Hackenberg has a job, but obviously the Jets suck so it doesn't really matter for them this year. Kaepernick hasn't said anything about being discriminated against. Just more spontaneous "facts" that the hate crowd keeps bringing forth. He's enjoying watching this play out...watching the NFL get exposed for what it is: a good 'ol boys club, like the NCAA and those people making billions while college football and basketball players (who are the revenue-makers) get in legal trouble for accepting $5 for their autograph.

 

No dude. That wouldn't make for a very good product. Just like how they have determined (so far at least) that putting Kaepernick on the field isn't a good product either. Your post is so over the place, it appears this discussion is over.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MariGOATA said:

@jbshaw Please tell me how you figure he isn’t a good qb? Tape, numbers, whatever just have valid info to support your opinion

I see a guy who misses open receivers consistently in reads, and instead either holds onto the ball too long or trusts his legs for a sub-optimal play.  I see a guy who struggles with accuracy when throwing when he does see an open QB. This doesn't show up statistically (which drives QB rating and passer rating) because he's only throwing on what he considers high percentage throws.  So when he does throw, he has a decent completion percentage, but he's not making the throws he needs to make.  

 

There are some mitigating factors.  He was on a sub par team, end of story.  However, unlike say Romo for much of his career, or Rivers for much of his, I don't see any amount of raising his teammates' level of play.  Romo was a top 10 QB for much of his career, and Rivers was no slouch, so maybe that's not a fair comparison, but it certainly is for anyone claiming he's a good starter.  

 

Now, I can't watch every game and every snap.  But PFF can.  They try to be objective, and watch every snap for every player.  There's some guesswork with what they think a player's responsibility was on some plays, but overall they're probably the most objective rating of tape you can find. The grade is supposed to reflect the player.  So if Kaep was throwing and his receivers were simply dropping it, or if there is no one open, he isn't supposed to get penalized. Kaep was a bottom tier starter in their rankings (IIRC, worse than Bortles, but better than Manning, one of the most overrated QBs in the game in my eyes). 

 

I also don't put a lot of stock in QB rushing.  It's a nice +, but I need the passing foundation first, which I don't think Kaepernick has, at least not to the level of a starter. So I'm giving him less credit for that attribute than you or dabeesta are (assuming a little here).  

 

So if you stick him in Dallas, with a top 10 WR, a dependable TE, decent complementary receivers, and elite line, and a good RB corps, I think he can hold a fort down, but he won't take that team far in the playoffs.  If you're an offense like Buffalo, Carolina, or Seattle where you depend on rushing, I think he has enough to be a better backup than what you can find. 

 

Because of his rushing and him not pushing the ball downfield (leading to low INTs), he's not a bad fantasy QB by any stretch if he's starting in real life.  I wouldn't want to depend on him as a starter, but he's certainly better than Sanchez, who I've had to use before. If he's willing to be paid appropriately, I think he can be a good backup for the right team (I remember reports that money was a factor in Seattle). But the notion that he's a reliable real world QB that any team should want is not something I can get behind. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dabeesta17 said:

 

The football field determines who is most capable of playing in the NFL. Its the ultimate job that sheer ability to do it gives you an advantage. Daddy can get you a college scholarship, but can't buy people into NFL starting QB spots. I'd say Kaepernick is top 30 of all human beings on Earth capable of playing QB in the NFL right now. Thus he should be playing in the NFL. There's no excuse for the Browns, the Texans, and the Rams to not be trying to win games now with Kaepernick. All those teams need is an efficient QB that doesn't turn the ball over and can make big plays here and there. The running games and defense should care of the rest.

 

Yes, I do believe NFL teams should be and are allowed to decide who they feel is best for their team. Harbaugh and Newsome want Kaepernick; But Bisciotti "asked the fans and God" instead of doing what the team thought was best.

 

I have no opinion one way or the other on Kaepernick but at least for the Texans and Rams they've recently spent high 1st round picks on QBs so they'll obviously want to see what they have in those guys . Why would the Texans draft Watson 12th overall and then go out sign Kaep, same goes for the Rams and Goff. Rams invested so many assets in trading up to get Goff they have to give him every chance to improve.

Edited by vthokie3
Link to post
Share on other sites

although if you're talent is worth the risk you'll still get a chance (see Vick). Is there any info about what sort of contract Kaep wants? perhaps thats the issue, he opted out of $14.5m..can't see anyone wanting to pay that for a backup

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, vthokie3 said:

although if you're talent is worth the risk you'll still get a chance (see Vick). Is there any info about what sort of contract Kaep wants? perhaps thats the issue, he opted out of $14.5m..can't see anyone wanting to pay that for a backup

I doubt he's insisting on 14.5 (crazier things have happened), but even half of that is still a lot for a backup.  Glennon was bought as a potential starter and is making 15.  B.O. is still on his horrible deal.  After those though, you drop to Hoyer and McCown at 6M, Foles at 5M, and Schaub at 4.5M.  It decreases quickly.  So if he's wanting, say, 7-8M (which I think is fair, if not on the cheap side, as a back end starter/quality backup), that's more than most teams willingly invest in a backup QB. A lot of the teams he's a good fit for are cap strapped, which certainly doesn't help.

 

Now, if you think he can regain the Harbaugh era form, he is without a doubt worth bringing in at more than that.  I don't think he's shown enough to where I think it's likely. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

 

You think football players work 1 day a week? 

 

Lol. Do you even lift bro? 

 

Yeah, that's kind of like saying pastors only work one day a week...not accurate at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, MariGOATA said:

 

 

How many Sunday games do they play a week then, genius? ?

Why is practicing not considered work to you? You think if someone only played on Sundays and refused to practice all week that they would be getting a paycheck?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MariGOATA said:

@jbshaw Please tell me how you figure he isn’t a good qb? Tape, numbers, whatever just have valid info to support your opinion

 

If he was a good QB, he would have a job. He's a competent backup who's talent isn't worth the distraction he causes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MariGOATA said:

 

 

How many Sunday games do they play a week then, genius? ?

 

Sigh....

new screen name, same Chasin Dat Paper

 

4 hours ago, petekrum said:

 

If he was a good QB, he would have a job. He's a competent backup who's talent isn't worth the distraction he causes.

 

Exactly.  Does he have some ability?  Sure.   But he used the national anthem to further a social agenda.  Right or wrong- that's unforgivable by some.   The owners don't want to be anywhere near that, and neither do the big corporate sponsors.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys, lets keep this thread on the real topic....Him as a player and career....We dont need this topic going off the rails in regards to people's  difference of opinions. Keep it sports related or this thread will need to take a time-out!

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

 

Teams can sign whatever player they want but quit feeding us full of crap. Be honest why you will or won't sign a player. There's just so much stupid crap being said and way too much hypocrisy. 

why would a team admit to that and bring scrutiny to their front office.

we are talking about a back up here that has lots of drag that comes with the contract.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Lmao at this thread

 

He's not  enough of a difference maker to risk 1/2 of your season ticket holders hating the move and being a major pain in your a** all season.

 

As a pretend owner, why do I sign this guy again?

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...