NBC Sports Edge Forums

Off-season Closer Thread 2017/18

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let's get our ducks in a row before real baseball begins.   Let's try to line up the handcuffs / next-in-line guys.  Knowing who to grab makes a big difference when the news comes down that

The Disclaimer:  Some of you will vehemently disagree with the below - while I'm curious as to the thoughts of others, these are my thoughts -- how I see things as they currently stand.  They're

I actually thought we might make it to opening day and the new thread before I had to post this, but ... guess not.   Consider this a reminder of the forum rules, best practices for the thre

In h2h I think I'm going with a guy like Minter/Hader/Edwards Jr over the Tex or SF pens at this point.  Just too much drama and potential ERA ruining outings. Good luck to ya'll in leagues deep/competitive enough where you need to wade through those dumpster fires.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

In h2h I think I'm going with a guy like Minter/Hader/Edwards Jr over the Tex or SF pens at this point.  Just too much drama and potential ERA ruining outings. Good luck to ya'll in leagues deep/competitive enough where you need to wade through those dumpster fires.

Appreciate the good luck. In anything redraft I'm with ya, I avoid these situations like the plague. But in my dynasty I've had Melancon forever and I've got Kela as a long-term investment, so now I accidentally wandered into these two disasters. Lucky me! :wacko:

16 hours ago, 96mnc said:

I agree with those above that melancon isn't a great bet to hold up all year.   I'm very skeptical of guys coming off flexor mass strains though. 

Is Dyson really the cuff?

Well that didn't take long...

If he's done for the year (and I'm guessing this ultimately ends with TJ) there's you're Greg Holland spot.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

If he's done for the year (and I'm guessing this ultimately ends with TJ) there's you're Greg Holland spot.

On one hand, I agree with you. This seems like the ideal situation to sign someone like Holland.

On the other hand, I feel like the Giants now should just kind of throw in the towel this year and start to rebuild. At this point, it seems clear that luck just is not on their side for the 2018 season. That’s not to even mention the fact that Holland would not be ready to close right away since he hasn’t been any spring training games yet.

• Like 1
  • Root Admin
10 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Nah..... 15 millionish for a team going nowhere..... it's the Rangers thing all over again.  Giants need the draft pick more and the salary space more.

• Like 1

https://www.sfchronicle.com/giants/article/Mark-Melancon-is-Giants-latest-medical-12786289.php

With Fernandez out and perhaps Melancon, relievers initially projected to begin at Triple-A Sacramento would be added to the Opening Day roster, and Hunter Strickland and Sam Dyson would be the likely closer options. Bochy said he would announce his roster after Tuesday night’s Bay Bridge Series finale against the A’s.

The preference still is to fill rotation and bullpen holes with internal options, Evans said, and not acquire players from the outside.

“You never shut the door on external options,” Evans said. “We’ve got some guys ready who can help us internally. That’s my sense. Our lean is to stay internal.”

Seems to suggest there won't be any Holland signing, even aside from the $$ factor.  Also points to Dyson or Strickland: one is really good and the other has "experience."

Further, this part has since been removed from the article, but it was in there when I copy/pasted earlier (format was a wreck):

Asked early in spring training to explain his surgery, he said, “Well, my pronator muscle was basically getting pinched off or squeezed off where there was a lack of blood flow and oxygen getting to the muscle. And in turn, it was dying.

When they went in there, that muscle had turned gray. It wasn’t completely dead but over time, it was dying. The doctor was shocked when he saw the grayness. His hope is that it turns back to the normal reddish color.

“He doesn’t know how long it’ll take. He’s optimistic about it. (Surgery was) to decompress and cut that fascia and allow that muscle to expose itself and have more oxygen and blood flow.”

When your doctor is shocked by what he finds in your arm, that's definitely, DEFINITELY not a good thing.  The muscle was gray ... sounds like it was dead.  I don't know if dead tissue can come back to life and it says here, "His HOPE is that it turns back to the normal color."

Melancon may be done for a long time.  Conceivably, he may never pitch again.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, countseth said:

On one hand, I agree with you. This seems like the ideal situation to sign someone like Holland.

On the other hand, I feel like the Giants now should just kind of throw in the towel this year and start to rebuild. At this point, it seems clear that luck just is not on their side for the 2018 season. That’s not to even mention the fact that Holland would not be ready to close right away since he hasn’t been any spring training games yet.

Meh.  Closers don't typically require too many games to get ready (assuming he's continued training).  That said, I don't think the Giants sign him.  I'm adding Strickland, myself.

• Like 1

What is the story in Texas? I read through the thread, checked Closermonkey and ESPN but they both have different projected closers. I drafted Kela but now starting to doubt as ESPN has him third in line..does anyone have any insight that I've missed?

56 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

When your doctor is shocked by what he finds in your arm, that's definitely, DEFINITELY not a good thing.  The muscle was gray ... sounds like it was dead.  I don't know if dead tissue can come back to life and it says here, "His HOPE is that it turns back to the normal color."

Melancon may be done for a long time.  Conceivably, he may never pitch again.

This obviously sounds pretty bad, but this was something found during the surgery months ago, not just recently. You'd have to think this was already baked into the recovery time they've operated around since the surgery was performed, and that if it was career threatening that would have already been known. 

He's just missed one scheduled pitching session so far, so this seems like a very recent setback. Hopefully it ends up being a minor one, but it does seem there's a lot more potential for concern than everyone originally thought. 

2 minutes ago, Redphan said:

What is the story in Texas? I read through the thread, checked Closermonkey and ESPN but they both have different projected closers. I drafted Kela but now starting to doubt as ESPN has him third in line..does anyone have any insight that I've missed?

We're all just guessing.  Not Claudio seems to be the only consensus.  

Kela, Diekman, LeClerc, Timmy Jim when he returns, Bush. I'm guessing Kela first.  

They'll probably sign Kaepernick to close. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
2 minutes ago, Redphan said:

Basically they entered camp with an open competition, presumably between Claudio, Kela, and Diekman, and at this point Banister hasn't made any announcements. 

Banister did elude to liking to be able to use Claudio situationally, which seems to point to Kela or Diekman as the favorites. Most seem to be predicting Kela, and Banister has kind of run him through the gammot lately with tough matchups and a back to back. He's who I have stock in, but at this point it's no sure thing he gets the job, or even that there will be a single closer. 

Hopefully Bochy actually announces who will close.  I don't want to try to make space for both Strickland and Dyson.  Hopefully it's not Dyson, even if he does bounce back his K rate has never been good.  Strickland is far from elite there but way better than Dyson. 

3 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

Kela, Diekman, LeClerc, Timmy Jim when he returns, Bush. I'm guessing Kela first.  

Don't forget Kevin Jepsen! Banister mentioned him as a potential closer option today:

"We have a couple of guys we are comfortable closing out a game for us," the manager said. "[Keone] Kela, Jepsen, [Jake] Diekman ... these guys have shown the ability to close games for us. We have some options available to us."

Banister also mentioned Alex Claudio, the man who finished last season as the closer, but would like to use him up and down the inning spectrum.

2 minutes ago, SpartyOn4 said:

Don't forget Kevin Jepsen! Banister mentioned him as a potential closer option today:

Good God.  I did forget about him lol.  Craziest thing is,  IF one of these guys settles into a traditional role here,  any of them could be great fantasy adds. I want to divorce myself from this mess but I can't ignore the possibility that a week or two of patience (and hopefully the right guess)  could net a gem for fantasy.  Let's go Kela monster

26 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

They also gave 4Mil to  Chris Martin out of Japan. He apparently added a split finger over there to complement his 95 MPH heater and decent control. He could be a dark horse too!

Edited by Slatykamora
  • Haha 1

Dyson pitched the 7th tonight. Faced Olsen, Piscotty, Chapman, Maxwell, and Powell. Got Olsen and Piscotty to ground out. A throwing error allowed Chapman to reach. Walked Maxwell before getting Powell to fly out. Strickland and Watson did not pitch.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Nah..... 15 millionish for a team going nowhere..... it's the Rangers thing all over again.  Giants need the draft pick more and the salary space more.

2 hours ago, countseth said:

Theoretically I agree with both of you.   

But SF has pushed all their chips in to try and win one more this year for better or worse.  

I thought they should have gone full rebuild the minute Bum got hurt last year.

But they didn't.   I'm guessing they'll see what Dyson and Strickland have and try to make it work until June 1.  Then look at Holland.

I do think their offense will score.   The issue is going to be on the hill.   Shaky bullpen and rotation.

2 hours ago, handyandy86 said:

This obviously sounds pretty bad, but this was something found during the surgery months ago, not just recently. You'd have to think this was already baked into the recovery time they've operated around since the surgery was performed, and that if it was career threatening that would have already been known. 

He's just missed one scheduled pitching session so far, so this seems like a very recent setback. Hopefully it ends up being a minor one, but it does seem there's a lot more potential for concern than everyone originally thought. 

Maybe they checked again and the muscle had turned green.

• Haha 2
  • JFS179 locked this topic