NBC Sports Edge Forums

Off-season Closer Thread 2017/18

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let's get our ducks in a row before real baseball begins.   Let's try to line up the handcuffs / next-in-line guys.  Knowing who to grab makes a big difference when the news comes down that

The Disclaimer:  Some of you will vehemently disagree with the below - while I'm curious as to the thoughts of others, these are my thoughts -- how I see things as they currently stand.  They're

I actually thought we might make it to opening day and the new thread before I had to post this, but ... guess not.   Consider this a reminder of the forum rules, best practices for the thre

17 hours ago, JeterPimpedUrGF said:

How would u guys rank the “closers” that have been discussed on this page?

Yates

Boxberger

Hirano

Gregerson

Gregorson - Still the best bet to get first chance.

Boxberger/Hirano - Tie.  No one knows who will get first crack if not Bradley, but Boxberger is ahead on the depth chart whereas Hirano could seize it with a lights out spring.   My gut says Hirano.

Yates- could get a handful of saves, much better handcuffs out there (i.e. Pagan)

• Like 2
2 hours ago, JeterPimpedUrGF said:

So whatcha guys think, can Lincecum really be in the mix to be the Rangers’ closer.  

Everyone is in the mix it seems.  I'd rather see Mike Minor NOT end up a starter.  He would be the Rangers best option the way he filled in as closer last year at KC.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

If Lincecum is the closer, well GL to you guys, that was the worst spending of 1 million I have ever heard of, and a major league contract?  I used to think Texas knew what they were doing

Tyler Clippard, Trevor Cahill, Uehara, Storen, Street, all would be better signings

15 hours ago, Golden Spikes said:

If Lincecum is the closer, well GL to you guys, that was the worst spending of 1 million I have ever heard of, and a major league contract?  I used to think Texas knew what they were doing

Why is signing Lincecum a bad move? If reports of his velocity are accurate I'm a fan of a team signing him on the cheap. I think it's a fantastic gamble with virtually no downside. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Craig Grialou in Sirius thinks Bradley goes to the swing man mode and Hirano & Box initially "share the role".  

I thought Lovello said he's definitely going with one guy?  

5 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

Why is signing Lincecum a bad move? If reports of his velocity are accurate I'm a fan of a team signing him on the cheap. I think it's a fantastic gamble with virtually no downside. 

Lincecum was working in the mid 80s last time he pitched 2 seasons ago. Even if he’s low 90s I don’t know why anyone would expect success from a dude who has sucked for what now 5+ years?

3 hours ago, Golden Spikes said:

Lincecum was working in the mid 80s last time he pitched 2 seasons ago. Even if he’s low 90s I don’t know why anyone would expect success from a dude who has sucked for what now 5+ years?

Last time he pitched he was in the mid 80's. He's no longer in the mid 80's, so why would you still expect those results? There is a monstrous difference between his speed of two seasons ago to his speed now. Sometimes guys can get in better shape or find a new method. It's uncommon pitchers coming back after flunking out of the majors but hardly unprecedented. 

5 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Last time he pitched he was in the mid 80's. He's no longer in the mid 80's, so why would you still expect those results? There is a monstrous difference between his speed of two seasons ago to his speed now. Sometimes guys can get in better shape or find a new method. It's uncommon pitchers coming back after flunking out of the majors but hardly unprecedented. 

I have no problem if I am wrong. But I don’t even think I’m going out on a limb saying he will still suck. Last time he was pitching in the low 90s he sucked also

Edited by Golden Spikes

At the end of the day let’s just all agree he’s not for everyone and be done with it. This petty back n forth gets us no where. His problem all along was the reduced velocity was allowing hitters to lay off his secondary stuff and sit on the fast ball. If his velocity is back up then that helps play up his other pitches and keep hitters honest. I’ve taken worse fliers. 

5 hours ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

Is there anywhere that:

A: Ranks RP in Saves+Holds formate

and/or

B: Keeps Saves+Holds stats in the same list

That would be handy but I've never seen a separate website listing that.  Just my Yahoo leagues' stats back 2 years in leagues that use S+H instead of Saves.  if you don't already have a league using S+H there doesn't seem to be any place to go online.

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

That would be handy but I've never seen a separate website listing that.  Just my Yahoo leagues' stats back 2 years in leagues that use S+H instead of Saves.  if you don't already have a league using S+H there doesn't seem to be any place to go online.

One of my ESPN leagues uses the stat S/H with the added benefit of K/9. But like BBT says you need to find a league using it.

Curious on what people are hearing about the Atlanta closer situation.  I own Viz, but am seeing a lot of people saying they think Minter will get the nod (ala Kimbrel - he had a cup of coffee and the next year started as closer).

22 hours ago, Magoo said:

I thought Lovello said he's definitely going with one guy?  

Hirano got beat up a little yesterday

Edited by azeri98
spelling
  • JFS179 locked this topic