NBC Sports Edge Forums

Rotoworld: Link the Blurbs to the Fourm Outlook

2777.jpg

The 76ers announced on Sunday that Markelle Fultz will be re-evaluated in 2-3 weeks.

He had a checkup on Sunday and it went well, as the "soreness is dissipating and the muscle balance is improving." The 76ers added that he will continue to progress towards full basketball activities, but his return to action hinges on how well his shoulder responds to an increased workload on the practice court. He's only worth owning in re-draft formats if you have an IR spot and can afford to be patient with him.
Nov 19 - 1:06 PM
Markelle Fultz 2017-18 Fantasy Outlook (Hyperlink) for example

I mean why not? It would lead to more people joining and is an easy way to get to more information on the subject. 

Thanks for the suggestion.

As a mere forum moderator, I'm not in a position to say what folks at the Rotoworld mothership can/will do, but the implementation details would seem to be a difficult hurdle.  Player threads can be posted by anyone.  They don't have any specific identifier that they're player threads other than some title of the form "[player] [year] Outlook".  Except maybe it's "[player] [year] Fantasy Outlook".  Or maybe something else.  There's no unique player ID that a script could look for in the posts -- player names aren't unique, not even within teams -- I think Rougned Odor has a little brother who's in the Texas minor league system.)  There's also no mechanism that I'm aware of for customizing the forum software to reach back to the RW site to link the player record with the forum thread...

So I'm not sure how this would be implemented, but it would be messy, and probably require manual intervention where mods have to link the records, or clean up links that are wrong.  And we don't need more work on our plate, especially not during football season.

I'll also say that we as mods are already having a tough time keeping discussions on the rails, and that anything that draws more new users would add to that.  I would normally say "the more, the merrier", but at this point it's hard to believe that any aspect of any player's fantasy profile is left unmentioned.  Would a larger audience increase the amount of signal?  Perhaps.  But would it also add to the noise such that the ratio between the two goes in the wrong direction?  That seems more likely.

The link to the forums is pretty prominent in the Rotoworld toolbar.  Folks who want to come to converse haven't had trouble finding us.  I do wish the player threads were a bit more organized, but for now, this is what we've got.