NBC Sports Edge Forums

2018 Fantasy Baseball Previews (Composite List of Publications)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doing my first ever auction draft this year, AL only keeper league. Anyone have suggestions on which site is most user friendly and will help simplify the auction process? I’ve always used Fangraphs in the past and comprised my own fantasy list/tiers but with auction and a limited pool of players, feel like I need to pay for some help. Oh, and would need to customize with .5 point categories. 

Edited by Sonny_D
8 hours ago, Sonny_D said:

Doing my first ever auction draft this year, AL only keeper league. Anyone have suggestions on which site is most user friendly and will help simplify the auction process? I’ve always used Fangraphs in the past and comprised my own fantasy list/tiers but with auction and a limited pool of players, feel like I need to pay for some help. Oh, and would need to customize with .5 point categories. 

Mr cheat sheet

On 12/24/2017 at 1:16 PM, STLSU said:

Man, Jose Ramirez is so slept on.

Age 23: #29 overall hitter

Age 24: #7 overall hitter, #1 overall 3B

Yet that list has him as the #60 overall dynasty hitter and #13 dynasty 3B. Absolutely crazy

On 12/27/2017 at 2:14 AM, hailtoyourvictor said:

Man, Jose Ramirez is so slept on.

Age 23: #29 overall hitter

Age 24: #7 overall hitter, #1 overall 3B

Yet that list has him as the #60 overall dynasty hitter and #13 dynasty 3B. Absolutely crazy

It's called PITCHERlist for a reason, I've hardly ever agreed with their dynasty rankings. Their week to week hitter rankings are more accurate though, and I tend to side with Nick Pollock on a lot in pitcher rankings. JoRam is a top 30 player in my eyes, top 7 3B, 2nd best 2B after Altuve. 

so I'm considering buying a baseballhq membership/subscription this year.. what are the general thoughts regarding their website? if you're reading this post, it probably means you're a little more into baseball and/or fantasy than the average joe, and I'm hoping you can share some insight. 

typically I don't purchase fantasy items; between fg, bbref, and a few others I feel I can make pretty solid decisions. I've donated to fg in the past because I want to support their website/cause and i've bought the forecaster a couple of times, but that's it. the forecaster has a lot of good info, and I enjoy the read, but it costs quite a bit less than a years worth of the website. 

- do you feel the hq website is worth the extra loot?

- in general does the book provide just as much info as the web? 

- is everything in the book covered on the website? 

- surely nothing is specific to the book and members aren't expected to buy the book in addition to site access, right?

So I’m looking at baseball hq right now and it’s offering me the option of purchasing the “2018 version - digital download” for $14.95. 

I guess thats the pdf? It doesn’t say, but that’s what I want if that’s what it is. 

10 hours ago, countseth said:

So I’m looking at baseball hq right now and it’s offering me the option of purchasing the “2018 version - digital download” for $14.95. 

I guess thats the pdf? It doesn’t say, but that’s what I want if that’s what it is. 

Yes that is what it is. I get the book every year and then I get access to the PDF files 

I have bought the Baseball Prospectus book for years now and enjoy it as well benefit from it, finishing in the money for 4 straight years in a 12team AL only. 

Does anyone have experience with their online website subscription? What do you think? The articles seem interesting but not worth $45 per year. 

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Razzball has released their top 20. Some very odd rankings, to be honest. No Kershaw, Donaldson, or Correa. Blackmon at 18. Votto at 19.

Odd.

Plus he spent most of Blackmon's blurb basically saying he's overrated and on the decline heading into age 32, but Coors will prop him up. Perhaps there is some truth to that, but it sure didn't read like it justifies the ranking. I've always loved Razzball's rankings but I may have to go with more of a composite this year.

5 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

Plus he spent most of Blackmon's blurb basically saying he's overrated and on the decline heading into age 32, but Coors will prop him up. Perhaps there is some truth to that, but it sure didn't read like it justifies the ranking. I've always loved Razzball's rankings but I may have to go with more of a composite this year.

I've always respected his lists, but starting last year, something changed.  I continue to read some of his stuff, but have moved away from trusting him as one of my primary sources.  Looking back at 2017 ranks; Odor at 17, Desmond at 19, Story at 20, Cano 27, Villar 29, etc.  He's always gone the other way to some degree on rankings, but starting last year, I felt like he was doing it more to be different than by pure analysis like previous years.

2 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Razzball has released their top 20. Some very odd rankings, to be honest. No Kershaw, Donaldson, or Correa. Blackmon at 18. Votto at 19.

Odd.

came on to say this fuzzy

its AWFUL imo

cant take them seriously anymore

47 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

For those of you that purchased the Rotoprofessor (Eric Stashin) guide, it was sent out this morning. Stashin knows his stuff and his guide is only $8. Excellent value.

Thanks for mentioning this! I've never purchased their stuff before but for $7.50 (less than pretty much every print publication) you can't lose. I'm starved for fantasy baseball content so this will be great.

• 3 weeks later...