NBC Sports Edge Forums

Miguel Cabrera 2018 Outlook

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. 

I don't know how serious the back issue is, but a dead cat bounce is pretty common for guys his age.   Think 2008 David Ortiz, when he hit .238 at age 34.  He went on to have 7 more producti

"Ow, my back!" - Adrian Gonalez, 35 years old

5 hours ago, absknicks said:

April 2 overreactions. Part of the charm of Rotoworld. 

The only overreaction we've seen in this thread has been those saying they wouldn't touch him before the 8th round. We are talking about Miguel Cabrera in here, one of the greatest hitters of our generation. He looks healthy and is hitting the ball 100mph on average in the early goings. What is there to not be excited about?

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, bradwatson said:

The only overreaction we've seen in this thread has been those saying they wouldn't touch him before the 8th round. We are talking about Miguel Cabrera in here, one of the greatest hitters of our generation. He looks healthy and is hitting the ball 100mph on average in the early goings. What is there to not be excited about?

That he doesn't own him

• Like 1
On ‎2018‎-‎02‎-‎19 at 7:20 AM, BigPapi44 said:

I agree with BBT and also no Upton this year.  Outside of KC and TBay, I'd say the Tigers are definitely bottom tier offensively in the AL.  Only saving grace, Miggy will face a lot of KC, White Sox and Twins pitching.

Again, I think Miggy will rise in the ADP rankings if he shows signs of life in spring.  He seems like he's lost quite a bit of weight and I don't think you will find a more intense competitor and someone who will look to disprove those people saying he is done.

As mentioned, I'm pulling for him and he is such a competitor, but the biggest thing will be maintenance of the back.  IMO, the back issue is not simply gone and he is going to have to really be mindful of stretching/exercising and working with trainers/coaching staff to stay fresh.  If you can get 130 healthy games from Miggy you will be rewarded.

29 minutes ago, bradwatson said:

It's fine to be excited. But to start chest-thumping and dropping "I told you so's" after a couple of games is a bit much. Let's see where he's at a month from now before we start to determine who was right and who was wrong about his outlook. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, IceGoat said:

I'm frustrated with how much action he is missing -- especially against a pitcher like Shields today. All those postponed games will be doubleheaders that which he may not play both ends of. 

Played both games of a DH the 2nd/3rd games of the season. If he continues getting nagging injuries then true, but that's why he was drafted where he was. If he plays, he very likely outperforms his ADP.

53 minutes ago, kaesr said:

I know it’s early .  .  .  but I’m starting to believe that there was a good reason I got Cabrera as late as I did. He’s starting to remind me of Billy Hamilton minus the speed.

Tough matchups lately.  He’s feasted on bad pitching early, been shutdown by good arms.  He’s at point in his career where he’s probably toast doing much vs Kluber, Carrasco types.  

This lineup is such a drag.  There’s essentially zero upside rostering him with the 2 horrific losers in front of him.  Factor in Father Time + awful lineup.  Do we even have the position to expect much?

Edited by Cmilne23
6 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

This lineup is such a drag.  There’s essentially zero upside rostering him with the 2 horrific losers in front of him.  Factor in Father Time + awful lineup.  Do we even have the position to expect much?

I’m hosnestly debating whether to drop him or not. 

2 hours ago, Carlos Correa said:

Left the game with back tightness. 

Edit: Will play tomorrow.

Still don't have any real faith in this guy.

It’s getting bleak.  He’s left with more injuries this year than he’s had good games.  Still a professional hitter, I’ll give him a decent amount of rope but my optimism is waning.  Back, hip already so far this year.  What’s next?

Edited by Cmilne23