NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Geno Smith 2017 Season Outlook

Iron-cock

Geno has been named the started for the Giants as they push for the highest draft pick possible.  Will he be fantasy (or DFS) gold?  

Upcoming Schedule:

@OAK

DAL

PHI

@ARI

WAS

Maybe he's finally gotten over his jitters? 

Reposting something relevant to the conversation from the 2015 thread:

David Garrard who backed up Geno briefly mentioned something interesting about him:

http://espn.go.com/b...t-outside-noise

"I definitely think Geno has the ability to be a pretty good quarterback. I just think sometimes he’s worried about the outside noise," Garrard said. "He’s worried about what his teammates think, what his coaches think, what the media thinks, what the fans think and he’s not just concentrating on his game and just making the plays that he should be making. You can see a lot of times in practice and in the meeting room, he’s spot on; he knows exactly what to do. But he has moments where he’s not doing that."

In essence, Garrard said Smith's poor decisions never showed up on the practice field.

"No, because you don’t have the stress of everybody looking at you and seeing exactly what you’re doing," he said. "But when he gets out there on game day, he has great plays, but then he just has too many bonehead mistakes where we didn’t see those things at practice. 'Why are we seeing them now in game time?' He has to fix those before he can be a great quarterback."

Or are we going to see more of this?

Edited by Iron-cock

2 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

Geno has been named the started for the Giants as they push for the highest draft pick possible.  Will he be fantasy (or DFS) gold?  

Upcoming Schedule:

@OAK

DAL

PHI

@ARI

WAS

Yes, I will be picking up the Raiders/Cowboys/eagles/Arizona defenses in the next 4 weeks. 

He's likely playing for a shot in a league that's deprived of QB's. 

In 2014 he started 14 games, threw 13 picks and 13 TD'S completing 59% of his passes while throwing for over 2500 yards. 

QB Rating 77.5

Maybe he just starts chucking it all over the lot? 

Maybe he learned something? 

Maybe he still sucks donkey balls? 

All three real possibilities here. 

1 hour ago, The Gridiron Assassin said:

He's likely playing for a shot in a league that's deprived of QB's. 

In 2014 he started 14 games, threw 13 picks and 13 TD'S completing 59% of his passes while throwing for over 2500 yards. 

QB Rating 77.5

Maybe he just starts chucking it all over the lot? 

Maybe he learned something? 

Maybe he still sucks donkey balls? 

All three real possibilities here. 

I dont understand this train of thought. There's 15 starting qb's in the league right now with qb ratings over 90. That's almost half of the league. Watson and Rodgers are injuried soo I'm not even including them. NFL doesnt have a qb problem. At all. 

Edited by Chippa

8 minutes ago, Chippa said:

I dont understand this train of thought. There's 15 starting qb's in the league right now with qb ratings over 90. That's almost half of the league. Watson and Rodgers are injuried soo I'm not even including them. NFL doesnt have a qb problem. At all. 

There are 5-6 elite QB's and then the dropoff really starts. 

You think Kirk Cousins is ever gonna win chip? How about Blake Bortles? 

Sure you can be just a guy like Alex Smith, but that's almost 2/3rds of the league. 

Just now, The Gridiron Assassin said:

There are 5-6 elite QB's and then the dropoff really starts. 

You think Kirk Cousins is ever gonna win chip? How about Blake Bortles? 

Sure you can be just a guy like Alex Smith, but that's almost 2/3rds of the league. 

I've seen bad-average qb's win superbowls. It's a team thing. And when has the league ever been filled with more than 6 elite qb's? It's always been this way. you have your first tier, second tier, third tier, etc. Come on. Do you think there were people in 2002 saying "The NFL has a qb problem" ?? There were like 3 elite qb's back then. You're being ridiculous

4 minutes ago, Chippa said:

I've seen bad-average qb's win superbowls. It's a team thing. And when has the league ever been filled with more than 6 elite qb's? It's always been this way. you have your first tier, second tier, third tier, etc. Come on. Do you think there were people in 2002 saying "The NFL has a qb problem" ?? There were like 3 elite qb's back then. You're being ridiculous

How many have done it lately? Flacco comes to mind. And that is about it. The NFL has changed quite a bit since the rule changes to the passing game. I guess Peyton as well. But then we have to go back to the Bucs and Ravens almost 20 years ago.

14 minutes ago, devaster said:

How many have done it lately? Flacco comes to mind. And that is about it. The NFL has changed quite a bit since the rule changes to the passing game. I guess Peyton as well. But then we have to go back to the Bucs and Ravens almost 20 years ago.

Peyton 2015, Flacco 2012. Rex Grossman was the qb of a team that got to the superbowl. Hasselbeck was good, but he was a game manager. Same with 2005 Roethlisberger. Brady the first 2 championships was a game manager. Even the 3rd one he was too. Corey Dillon was the man on that team. Brady finished with a 93 qb rating that year. That's good for 13th/14th in today's game. Brad Johnson was like Hasselbeck., a game manager. Jeff Hoestetler won a superbowl, McMahon on the 85 Bears, the Raiders qb's not named stabler. But, now I'm going back too far. Kaepernick is another guy. The qb of the 98 Falcons, Elway in 97 and 98 was a game manager. Jake Delhomme. Steve McNair leaned HEAVILY on Eddie George and the running game. 

edit: Silly me, I forgot Eli in 07 and 11. Dude has a career 83.8 passer rating. That's not very good. At all. 

Edited by Chippa

7 minutes ago, devaster said:

Flacco is a adequate QB with the right situation I agree with you though 

Edited by NyCro