NBC Sports Edge Forums

Best teamin the NFC - debate

Mods, please move if not allowed here.

Had a discussion with a buddy of mine last night and debated which team is the best in the NFC.

Eagles or Vikings - we didn't discuss Saints or Rams.

He and I went game by game and he claimed the Vikings were hands down the better team based on schedule strength and wins/losses vs. quality opponents. He claims the Vikings are better due to the fact that the Eagles have had a softer schedule. We went game by game for both teams and anointed quality opponents.

Wanted to share with the forum to get your thoughts.

Eagles (10-1)

week 1 Eagles 30 Redskins 17 (quality opponent)

week 2 Eagles 20 Chiefs 27 (quality opponent)

week 3 Eagles 27 Giants 24

week 4 Eagles 26 Chargers 24 (quality opponent)

week 5 Eagles 34 Cardinals 7

week 6 Eagles 28 Panthers 23 (quality opponent)

week 7 Eagles 34 Redskins 24 (quality opponent)

week 8 Eagles 33 49ers 10

week 9 Eagles 51 Broncos 23

week 10 bye

week 11 Eagles 37 Cowboys 9 (quality opponent; debatable)

week 12 Eagles 33 Bears 3

So Eagles have 6 quality opponents

Vikings (9-2)

week 1 Vikings 29 Saints 19 (quality opponent)

week 2 Vikings 9 Steelers 26 (quality opponent)

week 3 Vikings 34 Bucs 17

week 4 Vikings 7 Lions 17 (quality opponent)

week 5 Vikings 20 Bears 17

week 6 Vikings 23 Packers 10 (quality opponent; loss Rodgers)

week 7 Vikings 24 Ravens 16 (quality opponent)

week 8 Vikings 33 Browns 16

week 9 bye

week 10 Vikings 38 Redskins 30 (quality opponent)

week 11 Vikings 24 Rams 7 (quality opponent)

week 12 Vikings 30 Lions 23 (quality opponent)

So Vikings have 8 quality opponents.

Interested in hearing y'all's thoughts. Thanks.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Vikings aren't even close to the best. You expect Keenum to lead them to the super bowl? No. I rather have Saints, Eagles, and maybe Carolina, Atlanta, and Seattle. I don't trust Keenum or Goff a damn in the playoffs until I see it. Keenum damn sure isn't winning anything.

3 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

The one that wins the NFC Championship game. 

While this may seem like an obvious answer I don't think people see that. Is Keenum going to take the Vikings to the super bowl? Hell no he isn't. Your defense needs to be God like and their isn't. It's very good but not other worldly.

16 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

While this may seem like an obvious answer I don't think people see that. Is Keenum going to take the Vikings to the super bowl? Hell no he isn't. Your defense needs to be God like and their isn't. It's very good but not other worldly.

If Rex Grossman can beat Drew Brees in an NFC title game then anything is possible. 

Have to say the Eagles are top team right now since they have the number 1 seed.  Which could make all the Dome teams Vikes, Saints and ATL head to Philly and the freezing cold in January.   Since 2000 dome teams to make the Superbowl are the Rams twice, Colts twice, Saints, Zona and Falcons.  The Rams had the 1 seed both years.  The Colts had to play one outside game vs Balt then played the rest of their games indoors. Zona played two of three outdoors.  The Saints had 2 seed and played the championship game indoors vs Min.  Atl had 1 seed last year.  Besides 2 wins by Kurt Warner and 1 win by Manning Dome teams have not faired well playing outside in playoffs.  

Vikings.  Case Keenum gets no respect but the guy can flat out play.  He finished 5th in heisman voting and owns all kinds of records.  He didn't look too bad as a young guy in Houston but never had a decent team around him.  Do we even need to chat about a Jeff Fischer led Rams team?   I could easily seeing him be a franchise qb.

Eagles and Saints are the most well-rounded and would be a helluva matchup in the NFCC game.  Vikes are better on defense but that won't help them much if their offense struggles. It basically comes down to who do you trust more in crunch time, I'm putting them  Eagles/Wentz >> Saints/ Kamara >> Vikings >> Keenum.  But what the hell do I know, the Broncos won the SB a couple years ago with Peyton Manning who was historically bad that year.  

How anyone can sit there with a straight face and say the Vikings are better than the Eagles is laughable. What will be the excuse when the Eagles slaughter the Seahawks in Seattle on Sunday? Probably something about them not having Sherman or chancellor...

Rams.

Every team has down weeks, see Rams v Vikings.

Rams are still the most creative offense with an aggressive defense by a HOF Coach.

The correct answer is the Vikes because I am a Vikings fan.

Seriously though, that PIT loss was doomed from the start. Bradford practiced all week and Keenum was thrown in at the last second. Just bad circumstances led to that not being a competitive game.

I keep thinking at some point Case will implode/revert, but he just keeps balling. At this point do I trust him in the playoffs? I can't say I am all that comfortable, but that has more to do with his past than what he has done all season, so its more the stigma than reality that is keeping me from being a believer. Kicking could very well be an issue...again.

Eagles look tough. Falcons might be coming on. Saints, maybe if their D is healthy, but Brees doesn't look like his usual self (from afar). Carolina, meh.

In the end, its the Vikings AND the SB is in Minneapolis, so there is no way the Vikes make it.

52 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

I would of easily agreed with you earlier in the season.  But damn the guy keeps getting better and producing.  I mean they have a good run game, great WR's and a very good defense.  So anything can happen

Eagles. 3rd down conversion is off the charts. Fared well in their loss to kc back when kc was great. Min was kind of spanked in Pittsburgh. The fact that I'm going back to week 2 or 3 though shows how close these teams are, but give me Philly because I believe in Carson Wentz.

35 minutes ago, youngrice said:

Have to say the Eagles are top team right now since they have the number 1 seed.  Which could make all the Dome teams Vikes, Saints and ATL head to Philly and the freezing cold in January.   Since 2000 dome teams to make the Superbowl are the Rams twice, Colts twice, Saints, Zona and Falcons.  The Rams had the 1 seed both years.  The Colts had to play one outside game vs Balt then played the rest of their games indoors. Zona played two of three outdoors.  The Saints had 2 seed and played the championship game indoors vs Min.  Atl had 1 seed last year.  Besides 2 wins by Kurt Warner and 1 win by Manning Dome teams have not faired well playing outside in playoffs.  

What's interesting is that most of the NFC contenders are from mild climates (NOLA, ATL, Carolina, Seattle, LAR). Vikings live in the area and are familiar with the temperatures. I'm sure they will do some drills in the cold as well if they know they are heading to Philly.

The Eagles will have a serious advantage not just at home field, but being accustomed to playing in sub-30 degree weather.

Edited by PlayTheWaivers
4 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

What's interesting is that most of the NFC contenders are from mild climates (NOLA, ATL, Carolina, Seattle, LAR). Vikings live in the area and are familiar with the temperatures. I'm sure they will do some drills in the cold as well if they know they are heading to Philly.

The Eagles will have a serious advantage not just at home field, but being accustomed to playing in sub-30 degree weather.

People said the same thing when TB played in Philly in their SB year and dismantled them in the playoffs.  Folks made a big deal of it then (26 degree temps! 15 degree wind chill!  Bucs never won a game in temps below freezing! etc) and it made no difference.

41 minutes ago, jumper said:

Eagles and Saints are the most well-rounded and would be a helluva matchup in the NFCC game.  Vikes are better on defense but that won't help them much if their offense struggles. It basically comes down to who do you trust more in crunch time, I'm putting them  Eagles/Wentz >> Saints/ Kamara >> Vikings >> Keenum.  But what the hell do I know, the Broncos won the SB a couple years ago with Peyton Manning who was historically bad that year.  

The Vikings offense hasn't really struggled all season. What makes you think it will start now?  

1 hour ago, jumper said:

People said the same thing when TB played in Philly in their SB year and dismantled them in the playoffs.  Folks made a big deal of it then (26 degree temps! 15 degree wind chill!  Bucs never won a game in temps below freezing! etc) and it made no difference.

Bucs also had a hall of fame defense. Your point? McNabb is a perennial choke artist. Completely different era and situation. Weather does play a factor. Ask Peyton Manning.

Edited by PlayTheWaivers