NBC Sports Edge Forums

Best teamin the NFC - debate

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Eh I understand the argument that the Eagles haven't had the toughest schedule so far, and we'll get plenty of clarity away against Seattle and LA. Still they are crushing professional football teams every week recently and I'm having trouble finding the hole on that team. 

Vikings have a better pass D. Saints have better running backs. ATL has more talented WRs. Sure. But top to bottom I don't really see where you can find the flaw right now in the Eagles. Elite run game, pass rush, run D, special teams and QB play.  Great OL even without Peters. Good Receivers. Even their secondary has looked good with Darby back. They're demolishing teams in the second half showing their coaching staff is making smart adjustments. 

I'd say the Vikings are #2 but selfishly I'd love to see the matchup between Ingram/Kamara vs the Eagles DL instead. 

4 hours ago, Gohawks said:

While this may seem like an obvious answer I don't think people see that. Is Keenum going to take the Vikings to the super bowl? Hell no he isn't. Your defense needs to be God like and their isn't. It's very good but not other worldly.

Are you talking about Case Keenum?  The Case Keenum that just won NFC offensive player of the month?  Have you actually watched him play?   He has been impressive.  Great pocket presence.  

Edited by TommyKramer
4 hours ago, habslive said:

Eagles. 3rd down conversion is off the charts. Fared well in their loss to kc back when kc was great. Min was kind of spanked in Pittsburgh. The fact that I'm going back to week 2 or 3 though shows how close these teams are, but give me Philly because I believe in Carson Wentz.

Vikings have the 2nd best 3rd down conversion rate in the NFL.  Vikings have a top 5 offense and a top 5 defense.  Vikings have beat both the Saints and the Rams easily.  Their losses were to division opponent Lions and one of the NFLs top teams the Steelers which was the Bradford game where Bradford clearly wasn't wanting to be on the field.  Vikes are no joke this year.  Neither are the Eagles, but the Vikings look like they have something special going on this year.  My money is on the Vikings representing the NFC in their hometown Super Bowl this year.

Edited by TommyKramer
44 minutes ago, TommyKramer said:

Vikings have the 2nd best 3rd down conversion rate in the NFL.  Vikings have a top 5 offense and a top 5 defense.  Vikings have beat both the Saints and the Rams easily.  Their losses were to division opponent Lions and one of the NFLs top teams the Steelers which was the Bradford game where Bradford clearly wasn't wanting to be on the field.  Vikes are no joke this year.  Neither are the Eagles, but the Vikings look like they have something special going on this year.  My money is on the Vikings representing the NFC in their hometown Super Bowl this year.

I agree with the sentiment, and I was in class the weekend of the Pitt game so I only got to watch during my lunch break, but being a Viking fan, I am pretty sure Bradford didn't play at all in the Pitt game and Case was thrown in last second after Bradford had practiced all week and was expected to go. So that game was a clunker from the start.

I think the game you're thinking of is the Bears game where they put Bradford in for nearly (or all of) a half, he looked horrible and supposedly reinjured the knee and put Case in the 2nd half and they still ended up winning.

I'm a rams fan since I was 6 years old but have to put us 4th. we played well vs new Orleans but they're defense with lattimore and crawley is much better than the one we saw last week. if lattimore continues to miss time id put rams 3rd

1.Eagles

2.Vikes

3. Saints

4. Rams

Honestly come playoff time I think Eagles, Saints, Vikes, Rams all can beat each other any given Sunday and the margin between these four teams is minimal. If the Eagles knock off the Seahawks and or Rams on the road I’ll change my tune and clearly put them first as of now I’d put them first as well but marginally they really haven’t beaten anyone good aside from the panthers in October when they were sucking it up but time will tell right now they look amazing.

As far as AFC aside from the obvious Patriots and Steelers I think the Chargers could be very dangerous should they sneak in usually they’ve had such high expectations and disappointed so many times. This year I think they could do some damage

1.) Eagles -  I’m a homer, sure... But I’ve never said this.  Everybody is playing at the top.  Pederson/Wentz combo makes the entire team play at an elite level.

2.) Saints - Good coaches that teach well get better throughout postseason.  Run game is unreal and paired with elite QB.  Homefield games will decimate close NFC opponents.  

3.) Rams - Really close with Vikings.  I don’t believe in Goff in the clutch vs Eagles/Saints/Vikings, but their run game, o-line, coaching and defense will carry.

4.) Vikings - I still believe they have zero chance in playoffs with Keenum starting vs a season of exploitable tendencies on tape.  Also same defense scheme they’ve run for a few years.  They are beatable even with all their studs.

Edited by ap0calypse
8 minutes ago, NyCro said:

As far as AFC aside from the obvious Patriots and Steelers I think the Chargers could be very dangerous should they sneak in usually they’ve had such high expectations and disappointed so many times. This year I think they could do some damage

Been so focused on Fantasy football never really looked at standings until now.  Damn the AFC after NE and Pitt is garbage.  I do agree SD could do some damage but they always seem to make that critical mistake when it matters.  So can't see them challenging Pitt or NE.

I have plenty of respect for all four of these teams and wouldn't guarantee anything - but I think the Eagles are head and shoulders above the others and it isn't close.  Minnesota is tough but I don't think they have an offense that is explosive enough, The Saints have a better offense and a much improved defense, but I don't see it up there with Minnesota or the Eagles.  The Rams are young and have the potential to be a dynasty if they hit a royal flush on the next few drafts but I don't think they have the consistency or overall team strength to do it this year.

But the only thing that would shock me if one of these four are NOT in the super bowl.  Best of luck to whoever gets there... I know it won't be my niners this year.

46 minutes ago, ap0calypse said:

1.) Eagles -  I’m a homer, sure... But I’ve never said this.  Everybody is playing at the top.  Pederson/Wentz combo makes the entire team play at an elite level.

2.) Saints - Good coaches that teach well get better throughout postseason.  Run game is unreal and paired with elite QB.  Homefield games will decimate close NFC opponents.  

3.) Rams - Really close with Vikings.  I don’t believe in Goff in the clutch vs Eagles/Saints/Vikings, but their run game, o-line, coaching and defense will carry.

4.) Vikings - I still believe they have zero chance in playoffs with Keenum starting vs a season of exploitable tendencies on tape.  Also same defense scheme they’ve run for a few years.  They are beatable even with all their studs.

I like how you have 2 teams ahead of the Vikings that they already beat easily.... :blink:

1 hour ago, E-A-G-L-E-S said:

Following the 8-14 point win in Seattle, anyone still questioning will be lonely.

Hopefully Seattle can show they're still elite. With the secondary in their current state it's tough though. Wilson is probably the best QB in the NFL right now so there's that.

9 hours ago, DLR said:

Saints lost to the Rams and the Vikings. Not saying they aren't good, but if they lost to 2 of the other 3 teams in this debate hard to rank them as best.

Marshon Lattimore is arguable one the best Corner-backs in the NFL. He didn't play last week vs the rams(and neither did the other starting corner back). The Vikings game was week 1 his very first game. Saints didn't start scheming the defense in a way that exploited having a true lock-down corner until a few weeks later. (i.e. more double converges elsewhere and trusting lattemore to not need safety help)

So yes, its absolutely debatable still. A rematch between either team would be completely different now.

2 hours ago, oban14 said:

I have plenty of respect for all four of these teams and wouldn't guarantee anything - but I think the Eagles are head and shoulders above the others and it isn't close.  Minnesota is tough but I don't think they have an offense that is explosive enough, The Saints have a better offense and a much improved defense, but I don't see it up there with Minnesota or the Eagles.  The Rams are young and have the potential to be a dynasty if they hit a royal flush on the next few drafts but I don't think they have the consistency or overall team strength to do it this year.

But the only thing that would shock me if one of these four are NOT in the super bowl.  Best of luck to whoever gets there... I know it won't be my niners this year.

I keep hearing talk about Minnesota offense not being explosive enough.  Not true.  They rank 5th in the NFL in 25+ yard pass plays.  I understand MN is missing those elite names on the offensive side of the ball, but their offense is very good.  Keenum believe it or not is a very good QB (NFC offensive player of the month for November).  McKinnon and Latavius have formed into a very respectable duo in the backfield.  Thielen and Diggs are as good of a 1-2 punch at WR as there is.  Rudolph at TE is a former Pro Bowl MVP.  The most surprising thing to me about this Vikings team is how well there offensive line has played after looking like Swiss cheese last year.  Stop fooling yourselves and watch them play, you will see for yourself what I am talking about. 

48 minutes ago, TommyKramer said:

I keep hearing talk about Minnesota offense not being explosive enough.  Not true.  They rank 5th in the NFL in 25+ yard pass plays.  I understand MN is missing those elite names on the offensive side of the ball, but their offense is very good.  Keenum believe it or not is a very good QB (NFC offensive player of the month for November).  McKinnon and Latavius have formed into a very respectable duo in the backfield.  Thielen and Diggs are as good of a 1-2 punch at WR as there is.  Rudolph at TE is a former Pro Bowl MVP.  The most surprising thing to me about this Vikings team is how well there offensive line has played after looking like Swiss cheese last year.  Stop fooling yourselves and watch them play, you will see for yourself what I am talking about. 

That's what's great about football.  Come January they will have the opportunity to make me eat my words.  I think all four have a shot and I won't be shocked by any going in the super bowl.  But I don't see the vikings beating the eagles in the playoffs, at least not more than three out of ten games.

30 minutes ago, oban14 said:

That's what's great about football.  Come January they will have the opportunity to make me eat my words.  I think all four have a shot and I won't be shocked by any going in the super bowl.  But I don't see the vikings beating the eagles in the playoffs, at least not more than three out of ten games.

Vikings will crush the Eagles!!!  If you go position by position on offense and defense Vikings have more advantage than the Eagles do.